Darkplaces and 5.1 Audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darkplaces and 5.1 Audio

Hello everybody, I'm trying to get 5.1 audio working on Darkplaces but with no luck actually.
    I stumbled in this thread and followed the instructions, the sound appear to be more spatialized but my rear channels and the subwoofer are still not working.

I'm running Win7 and using the latest DP build, regular and SDL, used the commands: snd_spatialization_prologic 1 and snd_channels 6 or 8, Windows is correctly configured and working with 5.1 audio output but still in Daarkplaces the rear channels and the sub don't work.

Is it possibile to get it to work?
    Thanks.

All I can tell you is my personal experience. I have a 7.1 surround headset, and Darplaces just worked out of the box with it.

It sounds like you're trying to use physical speakers and a sub through a sound card. Try disabling all other output devices in the 'playback devices' menus, as darkplaces my be confused if there are two outputs.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt-PieFace View Post
      All I can tell you is my personal experience. I have a 7.1 surround headset, and Darplaces just worked out of the box with it.

It sounds like you're trying to use physical speakers and a sub through a sound card. Try disabling all other output devices in the 'playback devices' menus, as darkplaces my be confused if there are two outputs.

Good luck!
      Yes, I have an AMD RADEON 6950 hooked via HDMI to a 5.1 Denon receiver.
      I've disabled every other device and tried different bit rates and sampling but still no luck so far.

Attached Files

Comment

It doesn't matter to Darkplaces how many channels I try to enable via console commands, apparently. I typed snd_channel 6 and then soundinfo to see the result but nothing seems to have happened.
        Shouldn't it report 6 speakers after snd_channels 6 command?

Attached Files

Comment

I don't have the answers for you, but your problem and results reminds me of every single time that something really small and stupid was breaking my code. Whatever your problem is, it's going to turn out to be really simple and practically microscopic.

I'm not saying that this is your problem but, to give you contrast, it's going to be something like: you forgot to plug in the other speakers or didn't push the plug in all the way or something just as crucial and simple. I know you may think "Of course I plugged in my speakers. This is dumb." There are more than physical connections that need to be made...and I'm still not saying this is your exact problem. It's just an example. You're stuck on darkplaces as the problem but, I'm going to opine that your problem lies elsewhere.

Edit: Here's a thought, are you sure there are no errors in your .cfg? I couldn't run at one time due to a problem in my cfg. This is what I would try:

setup darkplaces brand new fresh somewhere, in the most vanilla way you can and try your speakers.
          If they don't work - forget this way
          if they do work - dump your new cfg in your old setup and try the speakers with the old setup
          if that doesn't work - dump your entire old DP setup and start over.

Also, make sure the DP you think you are using is the one you are really using. This is simple. If you installed DP somewhere other than your systems game folder and you are not using the -nohome switch your DP was reinstalled to the games folder and the darkplaces you think you are using is not the one that's actually running. Any changes you make to the cfg for the copy you think you are running will not make any difference. Everything is happening in the systems game folder. If you do not have a system game folder or you are using -nohome then you can disregard all of this.

I modified QC once to save text file logs. There was no crash, no errors, no nothing, there also wasn't any logs. It took me an ENTIRE DAY to realize that DP had installed itself in my games folder. I go to that folder and there are logs galore. I never used DP again and never will. Note to engine programmers: If you want to reinstall your stuff somewhere, some kind of an alert would be nice. There is NO reason not to give the user a heads up that you're switching locations. Assuming everyone is a -nohome pro is insubordinate at best and really just plain stupid. Especially since C:\Quake has been the status-quo forever.
          Last edited by MadGypsy; 08-29-2016, 11:42 AM.
          http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

firstly, set vid_conwidth correctly because that aspect ratio makes your console look hideous.
            secondly, if you're changing various cvars, expect to need to use some console command to ensure that those cvars are actualy re-read. in this case snd_restart. you'll know its re-read when it re-prints the 'obtained' stuff (at least with the SDL version of DP that you appear to be using).
            thirdly, not all drivers support more than stereo, for multiple reasons. if 'wanted' shows 6 and 'obtained' does not then you can blame whichever driver that the third-party SDL library is trying to use. Note that DP does still have a native/non-sdl build for windows, which should also support multiple channels, so try that to see if its SDL that is at fault here. Assuming snd_restart didn't fix it.
            Some Game Thing

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
              I don't have the answers for you, but your problem and results reminds me of every single time that something really small and stupid was breaking my code. Whatever your problem is, it's going to turn out to be really simple and practically microscopic.

I'm not saying that this is your problem but, to give you contrast, it's going to be something like: you forgot to plug in the other speakers or didn't push the plug in all the way or something just as crucial and simple. I know you may think "Of course I plugged in my speakers. This is dumb." There are more than physical connections that need to be made...and I'm still not saying this is your exact problem. It's just an example. You're stuck on darkplaces as the problem but, I'm going to opine that your problem lies elsewhere.

Edit: Here's a thought, are you sure there are no errors in your .cfg? I couldn't run at one time due to a problem in my cfg. This is what I would try:

setup darkplaces brand new fresh somewhere, in the most vanilla way you can and try your speakers.
              If they don't work - forget this way
              if they do work - dump your new cfg in your old setup and try the speakers with the old setup
              if that doesn't work - dump your entire old DP setup and start over.

Also, make sure the DP you think you are using is the one you are really using. This is simple. If you installed DP somewhere other than your systems game folder and you are not using the -nohome switch your DP was reinstalled to the games folder and the darkplaces you think you are using is not the one that's actually running. Any changes you make to the cfg for the copy you think you are running will not make any difference. Everything is happening in the systems game folder. If you do not have a system game folder or you are using -nohome then you can disregard all of this.

I modified QC once to save text file logs. There was no crash, no errors, no nothing, there also wasn't any logs. It took me an ENTIRE DAY to realize that DP had installed itself in my games folder. I go to that folder and there are logs galore. I never used DP again and never will. Note to engine programmers: If you want to reinstall your stuff somewhere, some kind of an alert would be nice. There is NO reason not to give the user a heads up that you're switching locations. Assuming everyone is a -nohome pro is insubordinate at best and really just plain stupid. Especially since C:\Quake has been the status-quo forever.
              I've tried with a vanilla DP installation but still I can't hear any sound from subwoofer and rear channels.
              I've tried the -nohome parameter and still no luck.
              My DP location isn't actually c:\Quake but something like E:\backup\games\darkplaces instead with and without the -nohome parameter, can this be a problem?
              Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
                firstly, set vid_conwidth correctly because that aspect ratio makes your console look hideous.
                secondly, if you're changing various cvars, expect to need to use some console command to ensure that those cvars are actualy re-read. in this case snd_restart. you'll know its re-read when it re-prints the 'obtained' stuff (at least with the SDL version of DP that you appear to be using).
                thirdly, not all drivers support more than stereo, for multiple reasons. if 'wanted' shows 6 and 'obtained' does not then you can blame whichever driver that the third-party SDL library is trying to use. Note that DP does still have a native/non-sdl build for windows, which should also support multiple channels, so try that to see if its SDL that is at fault here. Assuming snd_restart didn't fix it.
                Set vid_conwidth 853, typed snd_channles 6, disconnect, snd_restart, I was gifted with an error:
                FAILED TO OPEN THE AUDIO DEVICE! (Directsound CreateSoundBuffer: Invalid Parameter
                S_Startup: SOUND OUTPUT INITIALIZATION FAILED

The native/non-sdl build for windows you are referring is the regular one?

Regarding the driver it is the AMD high definition audio.
                I use the HDMI audio of my Radeon HD6950, an ancient GPU, I can try to get a newer version hoping there's actually one newer than the one I've installed.
                Thanks.
                Attached Files

Comment

I've updated the drivers, driver gods were clearly angry with me since my system went completely mute. Basically the same device got installed twice and it was conflicting with itself... I finally figured it out and I was able to give the voice back to my mute PC.

I've tried to enable multichannel audio in the modded DP I usually play and still no luck but it gives me a slightly different error I maybe didn't notice it till now.

Attached Files

Comment

Hello Judicator,

I do not have a 5.1 or 7.1 sound setup so I cannot simulate your issue.
                    But are you aware that DarkPlaces can use Dolby Prologic (I, II and IIx) Encoding ?
                    Maybe your receiver can handle it and you will be able to have surround sound.
                    Give it a try. snd_spatialization_prologic (snd_channels must be 2).

Good luck,
                    Seven

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
                      Hello Judicator,

I do not have a 5.1 or 7.1 sound setup so I cannot simulate your issue.
                      But are you aware that DarkPlaces can use Dolby Prologic (I, II and IIx) Encoding ?
                      Maybe your receiver can handle it and you will be able to have surround sound.
                      Give it a try. snd_spatialization_prologic (snd_channels must be 2).

Good luck,
                      Seven
                      Yes my receiver can handle Dolby Prologic 2, I tried snd_spatialization_prologic 2 but apparently didn't work: rear channels and subwoofer were still mute.

Honestly I don't know what else I can try out: media player and pot player work beautifully in multichannel, yesterday I tried Doom3 and it works just fine.

EDIT:
                      I tried to update my DirectX which were already the latest released (for my OS Win7 Home) 11.x and still nothing.
                      I'm starting to wonder if there's possibly a way to get multichannel audio to work in Darkplaces, here they had the same issue as I'm having and haven't found a solution.
                      I initially thought it could be the AMD drivers to blame but the guy in that thread has nvidia.
                      Is there actually anyone playing multichannel DP natively in here?
                      Last edited by Judicator; 08-31-2016, 03:57 AM.

Comment

I have the solution to all your problems. Are you ready for my awesome solution?

Use FTE. If you want superior performance, use a superior product. Don't you think it's a little crappy that the author of FTE is trying to help you with your Darkplaces and the Darkplaces author is probably not even aware of your question? Support the people that support you.

If you ever read DP source code you would notice multiple comments that say stuff like "Spike said...". Just use Spike's engine and you won't have to worry about what "Spike said", you can enjoy what Spike DID. There is nobody here (or maybe anywhere) that is going to outdo spike regarding a Quake engine. It's just a fact, brah.
                        Last edited by MadGypsy; 08-31-2016, 11:44 AM.
                        http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Do as I say... not as I do...

but yeah, if all else fails, try FTE's wasapi support.

Some settings. Make sense of them yourself.
                          there's other cvars, but they're kinda boring.
                          the wasapi cvars need to be set via the console, but the other ones should be in the menus somewhere.
                          Code:
                          snd_device wasapi //if you have multiple devices, choose the device to use via the menus (you can actually normally list multiple devices if you desire by manually tweaking the cvar, but few people will want/need that).
                          snd_numspeakers 6 //
                          snd_khz 48 //for dvd quality, though most quake sounds are 11khz... still the hardware might care.
                          snd_doppler 1 //enable doppler effects. lul.

seta wasapi_exclusive 1 //prevents other programs from mixing audio on this device, giving lower latency and full control over the hardware audio formats.
                          seta wasapi_forcechannels 1 //explicitly override the audio format. if 0 you'll just get your system-default channels.
                          seta wasapi_buffersize 0.01 //number of seconds to pre-buffer, to cover mixing/threading/hardware latencies. Increase if you get stutters.
                          snd_restart //the command to actually start her up. not needed if the above stuff is saved into your config
                          cfg_save //use these settings next time you restart FTE.
                          with wasapi+directsound, FTE runs the sound mixing on another thread so you won't get any stuttering due to abusive rtlights dropping the framerate 1fps.

Alternatively, if you're using openal for audio in doom3, then you can try openal in fte too. Its actually the default right now anyway.
                          Some Game Thing

Comment

sorry for the OT
                            Use FTE. If you want superior performance, use a superior product. Don't you think it's a little crappy that the author of FTE is trying to help you with your Darkplaces and the Darkplaces author is probably not even aware of your question? Support the people that support you.
                            I agree with you in part
                            FTE is the best option to play quake and mods, and even is the best option to make standalone games i think. I didnt know so much the engine time ago, but is really fantastic, i think the real problem of FTE is the lack of documentation. if you read enough you can know how works darkplaces extensions, shaders, particle system, etc.. ,there is a lot of documentation (and examples) everywhere. and darkplaces is very robust and stable. darkplaces is really beautiful but FTE is superior in performance. aniway rendering is different, and even fte menu options is strange for me.

With a friend we are making some little games, just like a hobby in darkplaces, we wanna make another with FTE in the future SO i can say, fte is very powerfull and is really great engine, performance is really awesome, but darkplaces is very well documented and also is a great option.
                            the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

Originally posted by nahuel View Post
                              fte menu options is strange for me.
                              FTE's menus could use some streamlining, making the commonly used options easier to get to instead of buried

(Gamma? Buried in a submenu? Contrast? Buried in a submenu? It's small things like that ---- most other engines have that in front of your face in the Options menu.)
                              Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Working...
                              X