• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quakespasm on Steriods

Spike made a version of Quakespasm that has:

Release Post Version 1 @ Func
    Release Post Version 2 @ Func

And it looks like he's has more features he's adding ...

Features

1. Particle support
    2. IPv6
    3. Server heartbeat/server browser
    4. Single port server
    5. Alpha masked models support
    6. Quake C extensions/extension system
    7. Sends ProQuake angles to ProQuake servers
    8. Decals (99% certain)
    9. Other features in the readme

Very, very basic and low resolution example of weather effects possible
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvqxsJChXH0[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRud8T88tDc[/ame]

Screenshots posted by Sock helping Spike fine-tune things ....
    http://www.simonoc.com/files/ad/qs_s...alproblem1.jpg
    http://www.simonoc.com/files/ad/qs_s...alproblem1.jpg
    http://www.simonoc.com/files/ad/qs_s...lproblem4a.jpg
    http://www.simonoc.com/files/ad/qs_s...alproblem2.jpg
    http://www.simonoc.com/files/ad/qs_s...alproblem3.jpg
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

FANTASTIC!!

I shit you not, it wasn't 60 seconds ago I was thinking about learning some engine coding to add some of these features into QuakeSpasm to support a mod I've been working on.

Checking this out right now. Thanks Spike and Sock, and Baker for the heads up.
    'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
      I shit you not, it wasn't 60 seconds ago I was thinking about learning some engine coding to add some of these features into QuakeSpasm to support a mod I've been working on.
      Over at Func there was a bit of a mapper debate/discussion about rain.

You can do rain in QuakeC, but each rain drop is entity (like a monster), the consequences are terrible (big amount of data in demos, over network for coop, save game size and more ...)

The big discussion about rain and snow and such. Then a bit of discussion about how gl_rain 1 works in Qrack, which is a free client-side effect, and how Seven's rain works in DarkPlaces. How Nehahra's NEH3M3 has snow, etc.

Interesting discussion involving a few mappers, myself and Spike. Spike in particular pointed out the weaknesses in the mechanics of Qrack's gl_rain.

I guess we are all lucky that Spike got drawn into being interested in it
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Qrack's rain, was just a simple proof of concept. It is REALLY slow, and probably NOT the correct way to do it; but it works, and I just wanted to add it for shits and giggles. There are some tests that dont render if the distance is far off, and some contents checking for when it rain into water. But IMHO it looks better than rain on many other games. I like the subtle random directions. rain isnt perfectly straight down.
        www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

I always liked Qrack's gl_rain and I broke down the mechanics:

Func_Msgboard: Quakespasm Engine

In doing so, I noticed a few things that could be improved (rain can penetrate walls so you can have rain in the E1M1 elevator, despite it being closed, etc.)
          and Spike explained how FTE did things (in a better way).

Yeah, gl_rain was always a nice proof of concept.

(I like the random angle thing too, vs. straight up and down)

Comment

Excellent job! @ all those Involved
            http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

baker, use velbias, and add a bias so it's angled.
              or just make it bounce off walls at a high velocity, because that's fun too, then turning into blood, bouncing some more, and splattering all the walls with decals.

or whatever...
              Some Game Thing

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                Over at Func there was a bit of a mapper debate/discussion about rain.
                I'm glad I started that discussion.

Comment

heads up: all of those "sock helping spike" screenshots are "404 not found"
                  http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
                    baker, use velbias, and add a bias so it's angled.
                    or just make it bounce off walls at a high velocity, because that's fun too, then turning into blood, bouncing some more, and splattering all the walls with decals.

or whatever...
                    lol!

Comment

Spike made a 4th revision to this

http://triptohell.info/moodles/junk/...m-spike-r4.zip

Adding ProQuake rcon capability when using it as a server.

Also Quakespasm and even FitzQuake 0.85 have always had an issue that they can't serve a game to an original Quake client due to sending messages too long for them to handle, Spike fixed that.

In a multi-protocol engine, you have to set the protocol (15 is original Quake protocol)

So "sv_protocol 15; maxplayers 4; map start" would be what to type in the console to get it running as a server with original Quake compatability, for instance. Or in the command line as dedicated ... "-dedicated 4 +sv_protocol 15 +map start"

Comment

Just tried the ipv6 support out of curiosity. Very nice.

Also "Search for local games ..." works -- it'll find the game only available locally on your router ok. Spike dotted the I's and crossed the T's there.

The lack of a quality vanilla client with enhancements like ...
                        (1) being able to properly host a Quake game
                        (2) being able to properly host a huge single player release co-op game even in lan play (essentially impossible in FitzQuake 0.85 and derived engines like Quakespasm ... until now -- Spike created a packet splitting system)
                        (3) lack of a single port server
                        (4) lack of ipv6
                        (5) lack of rcon
                        (6) lack of advertising the gamedir
                        (7) lack of an automatic server browser
                        (8 ) lack of delta compression

All of these things have hobbled vanilla Quake for ages.

And the major barrier to fixing many of those things, is that the knowledge level required to do such things is sky high (except for #5, #6 --- but even #6 requires a trick for backwards compatability AFAIK).

Fortunately Spike is in that category.

Comment

Questions for Spike for whenever:

1) If I type status in the console, it displays model counts and such.

For entities, on the start map it says 8179/8192.

Can that be right? Typing edicts in the console shows 83 edicts. Or am I misunderstanding what that is saying.

2) This has several QuakeC extensions. Is there a command to list extensions in the console? Doesn't matter much one way or another if there is or isn't.

3) Not really related to the new build, but for a particle emitter --- can the emitter be slowed down.

Like if count 1 is set and it is still too fast, is there some sort of other command to slow it down further like a time or interval (I looked through the engine source and didn't see anything).

Seven has a spark emitter I was trying to use in this and then fine tune (last week when I was testing some particle effects for tutorialization).

4) Will FTE be able to connect to a server running the FTE666 protocol? I assume the answer is yes.
                          Last edited by Baker; 09-28-2016, 05:49 PM.

Comment

#2) IIRC, pr_builtin_list ? havent checked but i think that was the old EBFS's command.

Comment

1) that would appear to be the difference between sv.max_edicts and sv.num_edicts when combined with debuggers preventing heap memory from being default-zero-filled, hence why I didn't notice it.
                              nice catch. bugger.
                              always plan for another release... or something...
                              go find other stuff, if you've time.

2) check the included qsextensions.qc file (or the 'pr_dumpextensions' command which writes one out in some fte-esque way). note that only extensions that are relevant for qc are listed, and they might still be reported even if all the clients that connect are vanilla. yes, this is a problem, but technically not a bug at least in that you can expect every single other engine to do the same stupid thing.
                              (note that even if you are using protocol 15, the 'fte' thing means that its merely a 'base' protocol, or in other words, its completely roflstomped over for quakespasm clients in a way that will be (mostly) invisible to every other type of client. hurrah. thus those client-only extensions probably still apply, at least when connecting with the same build as the (dedicated?) server).

3) half a particle doesn't make sense. for rain/surface emitters, you can use rainfrequency which will scale up/down the frequency of emission effects (where count remains the number of particles spawned with each 'puff', which is useful with eg sparks).

4) the 'FTE' thing is actually 3(ish) seperate protocol extensions. one is the 'replacement deltas' extension, which is the one that provides nack-based stuff. one is the poorly-named 'predinfo' extension which was originally meant to add some qwisms to nq base protocols - this is the one that kills the clc_clientinfo in every single friggin packet (replacing it with stats, mostly), but also provides input acks which qs doesn't use right now (but might, if csqc is ever supported). one is the particles which comes from csqc (quakespasm doesn't realise this, it just assumes that its supported with replacement deltas, but this does mean that you can use particles without proquake/etc dying).

fte doesn't actually enable support for the 'predinfo' extension by default right now, and I tweaked it a little (the fact that I needed to do so is why it wasn't previously enabled), so fte clients will end up with a little more bulk because of that until I get off my arsed and properly fix fte's prediction with nq (naturally quakespasm servers won't be able to benefit from that, because prediction basically requires rewriting the player movement code, which would fuck up quakespasm quite a lot). I'll get it going eventually.
                              but meh, yes, it gets the important stuff.

cl_shownet 1 shows you the size of each arriving packet. feel free to compare between protocol '-15' and 'fte-15', and with AD using clientside particles/not (although thanks to splitting data across packets you'll want to do it with the internal client for accuracy above 1400)

So, baker, how long until you port this stuff to one of your engines?
                              Some Game Thing

Comment

Working...
                              X