Darkplaces Glide Support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darkplaces Glide Support?

I am building a old win98 Voodoo2 SLI machine and I have heard that Darkplaces Engine "used" to be Glide based. Is that true? And if so, What version worked with it?

Also on the same front, I would like to be able to use some of the newer textures, enhancements, ect. (If I could with the hardware I have)
    What would the general options be for that?

I know I couldn't use the rygel Ultra textures or anything like that on this old hardware but, something better than the old GLQuake engine and stock textures would be cool.

You can find old versions here:

https://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/files/

You can just randomly pick a year in the past and then randomly pick a build. Download it. Then try it.

Maybe the stuff in the 2005, 2006, 2007 range might work or maybe they won't. You'll just have to experiment.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I know of no quake engine which is glide based, other than via the opengl->glide wrapper provided by 3dfx.
      note that the version of said wrapper from quake3 may be more complete, which would likely give better results with quake engines in general.

max texture size:
      256 for Voodoo, Voodoo 2 and Voodoo 3
      so yeah, don't bother with high-res textures. they will not work.
      Some Game Thing

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
        I know of no quake engine which is glide based, other than via the opengl->glide wrapper provided by 3dfx.
        Even the Glide wrapper doesn't use Glide. Excerpt from the readme: "nGlide is a 3Dfx Voodoo Glide wrapper. It allows you to play games designed for 3Dfx Glide API without the need for having 3Dfx Voodoo graphics card. (...) nGlide translates all Glide calls to Direct3D."
        Basically, it does the opposite of what Loopey1 needs.
        ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
        ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

I'm talking about the opengl->glide wrapper that was distributed with glquake in the form of that pesky opengl32.dll file that everyone else then needed to delete before it would work with any other vendor, that allowed running opengl programs like quake/quake3 on gpus that only support glide - like the voodoo family.

'nglide' has sod all to do with anything, other than that (iirc) its provided with gog's quake install in some really stupid opengl->glide->d3d translation nightmare. so sure, if that's where he bought quake then he'll need to delete that glide2x.dll or whatever the file is called, instead of both dlls like anyone else with a working gpu should do.
          Some Game Thing

Comment

Oh, I didn't know there were two different wrappers.

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
              I'm talking about the opengl->glide wrapper that was distributed with glquake in the form of that pesky opengl32.dll file that everyone else then needed to delete before it would work with any other vendor, that allowed running opengl programs like quake/quake3 on gpus that only support glide - like the voodoo family.

'nglide' has sod all to do with anything, other than that (iirc) its provided with gog's quake install in some really stupid opengl->glide->d3d translation nightmare. so sure, if that's where he bought quake then he'll need to delete that glide2x.dll or whatever the file is called, instead of both dlls like anyone else with a working gpu should do.
              Sorry for this but That statement has me confused.
              I own the Original Quake CD, and Also have the Original GLQuake engine, and setups.
              What would I exactly need to make this play on a "newer" engine and still use my Voodoo2 cards? If I have to just use the originals I would be fine with that, but some of the new engines and textures make that old game look amazing.

I also have Quake 2 and 3 Arena , and Q3 Team Arena so if I need something from those I should have it.

Comment

if a quake engine isn't working, then its either because it doesn't support win98 any more, or its because its trying to do things not supported by your glide wrapper (in which case try a different version of the wrapper, like the one from quake3), or you just don't have one (because you copied the install from your win10 machine or whatever, and the game is then trying to use microsoft's crappy software opengl implementation).

regarding the wrapper itself, you can find one version of it bundled inside the original glquake release as a file named 'opengl32.dll'.
                if that version of it doesn't work, you should be able to find a quake3 driver for voodoo/3dfx cards with a file called '3dfxvgl.dll'. if you have one of those, just rename it to 'opengl32.dll' (if you've forgotten to reconfigure windows to show you the actual names of the files, then don't worry about the .dll part of the filename as windows is hiding it to avoid confusing idiots while making it much easier to sneak viruses past people, thankfully you don't need to change it, so meh).
                WARNING: DO NOT CONFUSE THESE FILES WITH THE OPENGL32.DLL FROM YOUR WINDOWS DIRECTORY!
                so, the explain further, the 3dfxvgl.dll file implements an opengl->glide wrapper. this wrapper only works if the engine actually tries to use it. quake engines are typically hardcoded to use the system opengl implementation (that's the opengl32.dll from your system directory), and windows is kinda insecure so all you need to do is to rename the opengl->glide wrapper to the same filename but inside one of the search paths that will be used for quake and ideally not other programs (we don't want to break your screensavers... *cough*), so to get quake to use the later versions of the minidriver that were made for quake3, just rename the dll to opengl32.dll and place it within your quake directory, and quake will start using it.

the version of the wrapper that came with glquake was sufficient to run glquake, but lacks features that later versions of quake came to depend upon, which is why I say to grab the one from quake3 instead, or really any quake3-based game that included a copy of the glide wrapper. or you should probably be able to download one from somewhere, but I've no idea where.

just make sure you don't end up with the 'nglide' wrapper that bfg666 spoke of, because that's basically the opposite of what you want.
                Some Game Thing

Comment

Also, as Spike said in post #3, regarding hi-res textures you're out of luck. If you insist on playing Quake with these, you'll need to install the game on a computer with more recent graphics hardware.

What you COULD do is downgrade QRP textures to a max size of 256*256 pixels but I don't see the point: it would be much hassle for very little gain.

Comment

I thank you all for your replies. I will give your ideas a shot and see what happens.

I do have to say, the "original" GLQuake was working on my win98 system, but I was hopig I could get a better engine to enable some of the more new features that I see. But if anything it will be a learning experience for me to figure out what works with what. LOL

A side Question, I have a GLQuake exe that was made around 1998 or so, and I was hoping to have someone de-compile it ?? (is that how you say it?) back to C+ or the original code. Is that possible?
                    I want to compare it to the original GLQuake.exe and see what was changed.

Comment

Working...
                    X