fitzquake085 resolution weirdness, require immediate assistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fitzquake085 resolution weirdness, require immediate assistance

Can somebody explain to me how fitzquake determines which resolutions it makes available to you?

I'm asking this because I have two different machines I play quake from, one 16:9 laptop at home and a 5:4 tower at a friends house to play quake with him.

Now, on my laptop pretty much all resolutions are available to me, including my precious 320x240. This resolution is the reason I use fitzquake, as it is the only faithful, GL-powered engine offering it that I am aware of.

However, on my tower, which is hooked up to a monitor which would actually be better suited to that resolution, fitzquake does not offer it to me. The lowest 4:3 resolution offered is 640x480, even though the fitzquake version I used is exactly the same as on my laptop.

For now I'm just sticking with ol' winquake as that still makes 320x240 work on both machines, but I'd like to upgrade to fitzquake if this problem is fixable.

By the way, is there any way to counteract z-clipping on modern engines? Pretty much every one I've tried has it, and apart from just being ugly it makes some secrets like the hidden lift in the slipgate complex really obvious.

I think Windows dropped support for anything under 640x480.

Windows XP may, but none of the other current versions of windows allows it.

bottom line: it's not Quake, it is a Windows issue.
    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

[OT] if you want you can emule 320 * 240 with darkplaces with this shdaer http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...arkplaces.html
      the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

@R00k nah that's not it, both machines are running on the same build of windows 10. It's technically not real 320x240 though, just the same trick used in winquake. Just scaled too look like that, even though the game is running 640x480 as far as the system is concerned.

@nahuel thanks for the tip, but darkplaces is just too far away from the original quake experience for me.

Comment

Originally posted by boristhesp1der View Post
          darkplaces is just too far away from the original quake experience for me.
          ah yes, this totally looks nothing at all like original software quake

yes, that is darkplaces, with the GLSL shader that nahuel mentioned
          are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
          > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
          everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Originally posted by talisa View Post
            ah yes, this totally looks nothing at all like original software quake

yes, that is darkplaces, with the GLSL shader that nahuel mentioned
            I was just going to say this! lol.

@boris

DarkPlaces is what you want it to be. You can customize the piss out of it and make it behave like it's still 1996. The FTE engine as well. This shader will allow you to simulate your desired resolution. The shader will work with DP/FTE. It won't work with FitzQuake, or just about any other engine for that matter.

Let's face it, it's not the 90s anymore. Unlike a lot of markets, age is hard on the computer world, becasue everything has to be compatible.
            'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

alright, ill give darkplaces a try. thanks for the help guys, appreciate it

Comment

Working...
              X