Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four Player Quake Support

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7fcgjlEW2w[/ame]

Prototype feature that will become standard feature in engine that should be out of beta soon.

This was a test to see if I could even make this work.

Test successful.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Nice ;-)
    My servers for the gamers:
    bigfoot.servequake.com / damage.servequake.com

port 26000 EuroQuake
    port 26001 EuroQuake Coop

newyork.quakeone.com
    Offline ATM
    fvf.servequake.com
    flanders.servegame.org / flanders.servequake.com
    Offline ATM
    newdm.servequake.com
    port 26010

http://bigfoot.servequake.com (EuroQuake)
    sigpic

Comment

OH LAWD

That looks like fun, hopefully it gets smoothed out nice 'n good. With added SDL support, it'd be cool to do local multiplayer deathmatch.

YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT...

Comment

I'm trying to see where this is going, though it is flipping awesome, I can't help but think it's stuck in the Nintendo64 age and how it handled multiplayer?

What's the point of having split screens in a day and age when people hate eachother to much to be playing a game in the same room together?

kind of feels like a few decades to late and more of a nostalgic hybrid mix.

People don't play split-screen anymore! They play on servers with at least 32 other players and that number can go into the thousands, where does this fit in, is it trying to fit in?

What the hell is going on here!?

PS.

This is a bad idea for me personally, I'm known to be a controller slapper.
        QuakeOne.com
        Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
        Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
        Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Split-screen can be a good thing - since you mentioned the N64, Mario Kart is a prime example - but I think a multiplayer FPS is better when you can't see your adversary's screen. Just my own personal taste, no criticism.
          ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
          ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

I think this could be fun in coopmode on a big screen !
            My servers for the gamers:
            bigfoot.servequake.com / damage.servequake.com

port 26000 EuroQuake
            port 26001 EuroQuake Coop

newyork.quakeone.com
            Offline ATM
            fvf.servequake.com
            flanders.servegame.org / flanders.servequake.com
            Offline ATM
            newdm.servequake.com
            port 26010

http://bigfoot.servequake.com (EuroQuake)
            sigpic

Comment

@polarite -- The engine has incredible coop features.

For instance, a lot of maps don't have coop spawn points.

In this new engine, for the first 5 seconds after spawning in a coop game, players appear transparent and can walk through each other. Teamplay 1 is assumed on in coop, connecting players are forced by the engine to having the same pants color as the host. The engine also has the ability to disable cheats in coop (sv_cheats 0). And --- the engine attaches to the QuakeC to create a per player coop scoreboard (which is by strict definition impossible to do in Quake, but nevertheless Mark V does it anyway). Connecting clients also automatically switch to the right gamedir. In fact, the engine is built in such a way, that it switch gamedirs while connected and the clients will too. Even stuff like Nehahra.

You can also save multiplayer games.

In the multiplayer menu, if you select "Find local games" it works. Also if you do find online games it works.

(Spike is directly responsible the "Find local games", since I implemented some of the things Spike did in Quakespasm Spiked. It also have single-port server and a multiplayer server browser and if you host a game and have port 26000 open and make the server public that works too and it will appear in the server browser of supporting engines like DarkPlaces. Also have IPv6 support. Automatic international keyboard support possibly better than any engine, I wrote it from the ground up trying to adjust for some imperfections I've seen in other engines and improve on what is in ProQuake 4).

Things like that are fairly minor compared to some of the features I'm trying to wrap up.
              Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                This is a bad idea for me personally, I'm known to be a controller slapper.
                Exactly! That's how games should be played.

Looking at other people's screens, unplugging someone's controller and all that too.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                  Looking at other people's screens, unplugging someone's controller and all that too.
                  I remember playing Doom on the first PlayStation at a friend's in dual link mode, we purposefully set his 2 TVs so that we would play back to back and not see each other's screen.
                  ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
                  ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                    In the multiplayer menu, if you select "Find local games" it works. Also if you do find online games it works.
                    So could one in theory use this in an online multiplayer match of CA/RQ to have 3 of the screens following the enemy(s) while you control the 4th and have complete knowledge of their position the whole time?

"Mind if my friends watch me whoop you 1v1?"
                    QuakeOne.com
                    Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                    Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                    Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                      So could one in theory use this in an online multiplayer match of CA/RQ to have 3 of the screens following the enemy(s) while you control the 4th and have complete knowledge of their position the whole time?

"Mind if my friends watch me whoop you 1v1?"
                      Haha

Comment

Working...
                      X