retrofy quake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• retrofy quake

looking for shaders, tweaks and everything that helps bring Quake back to its baby state - in DP.

my retro.cfg is quite barebones right now, so i wonder if the community might be kind enough to provide me and anyone that may be interested with additional cvars/files/whatever.
    thanks in advance.

gl_texturemode "GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST"
    r_lerpmodels "0"
    r_lerpmove "0" //QuakeSpasm. is there a DP-equivalent for this?
    r_glsl_postprocess 1 //*
    r_glsl_postprocess_uservec1 "20 640 480 0" //*

http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...kplaces-2.html

This thread is hilarious. Darkplaces is intended to give the user an advanced quake experience, and you want to go the other way. The really funny part is you want to use shaders and advanced cvars to go backwards (not saying you can't. It's just a bit like deconstructing a Porsche to make a Pinto). Why not just use an engine that is designed to give you the effects you want? Use the original engine. Then you can even have the realism of everything that was wrong with quake.
    Last edited by MadGypsy; 11-11-2016, 10:35 AM.
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
      This thread is hilarious. Darkplaces is intended to give the user an advanced quake experience, and you want to go the other way. The really funny part is you want to use shaders and advanced cvars to go backwards. Why not just use an engine that is designed to give you the effects you want?
      i was so expecting a comment like this, and especially from you.
      to answer your question, mods / maps i play require a port with increased limits (e.g. AD). i also rather not trade bloom, lens flares etc for lower resolution if it just can be emulated.

Comment

i think
        "r_glsl_saturation 0.8"

is a nice feature to add

the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

@gypsy
          darkplaces is an engine with many features, some which every engine should have but a lot of engines just dont have, like support for ginormous map-sizes.

it also has lots of advanced features that a lot of other engines completely lack,
          like being able to completely change the layout and look of the hud via CSQC,
          completely changing the look of all particle-effects using a particlefont + effect-info.txt

and stuff like GLSL_shaders to change the look of the game, like HSGZ's shader which emulates the look of low resolutions and lower color-depth

darkplaces is not just an engine made purely for fancy-pants graphics,
          its also very moddable and supports many advanced features that a lot of other engines lack.

i actually have a retro setup with darkplaces myself, darkplaces can be made to look very close to software quake with the right tweaks.

one more usefull cvar is this: scr_printspeed "16"

it restores episode end-text speed to appear slowly again instead of instantly which is the default setting in DP

also a couple cvars you might want to add to your autoexec.cfg to prevent issues are these:
          sv_gameplayfix_blowupfallenzombies "1"
          sv_gameplayfix_upwardvelocityclearsongroundflag "1"
          sv_gameplayfix_setmodelrealbox "1"
          sv_gameplayfix_droptofloorstartsolid "1"
          "r_useportalculling" "1"

they mainly fix some issues with certain pickups not being placed correctly on the ground which results in the pickups falling through the floor and dissapearing,
          and it fixes the zombies in E4M3 that otherwise are stuck to the ceiling

one more item you might wanna check out is the 'authentic model improvement pack'
          http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...tml#post170035
          it includes models that generally have a slightly-higher poly-count from the originals
          and have fixes applied to them like the grenade-launcher thats originally has a crooked barrel

they are slightly-higher poly while still being low-poly and include many fixes and generally tend to have better animations and UV-mapping,
          like capnbubs dog which has muuuuuuch much much better UV-mapping and more fluid animations then the awful original dog-model by ID

it also includes a copy of the nail-position fix i made, which fixes the position of nails coming from your barrels
          http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...ion-packs.html
          also includes some fixes for rogue like the otherwise broken buzzsaws, the broken elevator in R1M5, and the broken plasma-gun from which the projectiles otherwise just hovers in place

also, another high recommendation would be killpixel's Z-fixed maps, which are edited versions of all maps
          to fix any Z-fighting due to sloppy mapping by ID and has fixed alignment of textures: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b0m3dp1kym...0maps.pk3?dl=0
          Last edited by talisa; 11-11-2016, 01:57 PM.
          are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
          > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
          everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

@i was so expecting a comment like this, and especially from you.

well, at least we can be civil about it . Your reason is a good one, too. I didn't consider making the new old. I more considered using the new to play the old.
            http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
              @i was so expecting a comment like this, and especially from you.

well, at least we can be civil about it . Your reason is a good one, too. I didn't consider making the new old. I more considered using the new to play the old.
              Yeah I've been dicking around with same thing. Its so much easier to make faithful looking assets...but at the same time freaking QuakeSpasm lacks some seriously basic features like changing the crosshair.
              'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Sorry to necromance this thread but the

gl_texturemode "GL_NEAREST"
                "r_glsl_saturation 0.8"

settings just made Quake with Darkplaces look like something like Quake again, so thanks to those who posted. I am fuckin' freaking out, finally the ugly texture-blending is gone and i still can use the Darkplaces particle system :-D
                I once was a Ranger like you. But then i took a rocket to the knee.
                My little gore mod : http://quakeone.com/forum/quake-mod-...76473-gore-mod

Comment

qore20171113175413-00.jpg

I mean uhm... guess the engine. What you see is Darkplaces...

Comment

If somebody is interested, here are a few config settings for 3 different rendering styles:
                    Note: I'm not really sure what the Framedatasize is for. A quick internet search told me something about renderer-cache, but changing the value to 0 has no effect on my pc. Also: The Gamma setting may be have a different result with your monitor.

// Setting for modern gl blend + fitting gamma
                    //gl_texturemode "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR" //For highres texture packs &amp; modern people
                    //"cl_particles_quality" "4"
                    //"r_bloom" "1"
                    //"r_bloom_blur" "1"
                    //"r_bloom_brighten" "1.125000"
                    //"r_bloom_colorscale" "0.062500"
                    //"r_coronas" "0"
                    //"r_framedatasize" "1"
                    //"r_hdr_glowintensity" "0.500000"
                    //"r_hdr_scenebrightness" "2.062500"
                    //"r_shadow_realtime_world" "1"
                    //"r_shadow_realtime_world_shadows" "1"

// Classic pixel, used with bloom, realtime lightning & shadows
                    //gl_texturemode "GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST"
                    //"cl_particles_quality" "2"
                    //"r_bloom" "1"
                    //"r_bloom_blur" "1"
                    //"r_bloom_brighten" "1"
                    //"r_bloom_colorscale" "0.062500"
                    //"r_coronas" "0"
                    //"r_framedatasize" "1"
                    //"r_hdr_glowintensity" "0.500000"
                    //"r_hdr_scenebrightness" "1.062500"
                    //"r_lightningbeam_thickness" "5"
                    //"r_shadow_gloss" "0"
                    //"r_shadow_realtime_world" "1"
                    //"r_shadow_realtime_world_shadows" "1"

// Classic pixel, nearly original Quake feeling, baby!
                    gl_texturemode "GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST"
                    "cl_particles_quality" "2"
                    "v_gamma" "1.500000"
                    "r_bloom" "0"
                    "r_coronas" "1"
                    "r_framedatasize" "1"
                    "r_hdr_glowintensity" "0.500000"
                    "r_shadow_realtime_world_shadows" "0"

Comment

Working...
                    X