How id Tech 6 renders a frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How id Tech 6 renders a frame

This is a fascinating read and might provide some ideas for improvements for Quake engines.

DOOM (2016) - Graphics Study - Adrian Courrèges

Thanks for the link. Quake1 textures are missing data that is expected in a modern engine, so there is a hurdle beyond adding a graphics enhancement. However, I believe some enhancements could be added (and may already be?) like tonemapping, or with a little work, temporal anti-aliasing.

Comment

Originally posted by Zop View Post
      Thanks for the link. Quake1 textures are missing data that is expected in a modern engine, so there is a hurdle beyond adding a graphics enhancement. However, I believe some enhancements could be added (and may already be?) like tonemapping, or with a little work, temporal anti-aliasing.
      Some of these things have been added with fan-made textures (normal maps, gloss maps, etc).

Comment

tone-mapping is actually a post-render effect which can be added to anything

just check reshade or sweetFX, both can be applied to any game and have tonemapping as one of the many available effects

or on another note, the latest versions of Gzdoom actually have tone-mapping
        are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
        > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
        everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Working...
        X