No announcement yet.

Linux? Irrelevant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if you're counting all the computers sold to companies that will never run a game or those with both discrete nvidia gpus and crappy onboard intel chips, then yeah, intel would be the one that sells the most gpus by numbers.
    I personally trust steam's stats better (nvidia 58%, intel 17%), but on the other hand, steam users will still have better hardware than the average person playing a 20-year-old game...
    so yeah, the players who actually need extra help running quake are those that don't have vulkan drivers. vulkan is definitely not 100%.
    Some Game Thing

Comment

Vulkan support INCLUDES Intel chipsets without an additional video card (AMD/Nvidia) and goes back about 5-6 years on supported devices.

That's basically 100% of desktop and laptop users.

Comment

Spike has a Vulkan version of his FTE engine.

http://triptohell.info/moodles/win64/fteqw64.exe

enable it via 'setrenderer vk' or via the menus.
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Awesome. I'll have to check it out.

Comment

Just regarding the D3D9 performance.

The performance is absolutely nothing to do with the API used. Instead it's how the API is used.

As a general rule:

- Badly-written OpenGL code will run faster than badly-written D3D9 code.
            - Well-written D3D9 code will run faster than well-written OpenGL code.

The stock GLQuake OpenGL code is bad. It uses the API in the worst possible ways at almost every step.

The D3D9 code I wrote for MarkV is neither good nor bad: it's mediocre at best, but it's still good enough to outperform the stock OpenGL code.

It does this by taking the GL calls and doing unspeakable things with them to make them into efficient calls under D3D9.

But you could do the very same and convert them into efficient calls under OpenGL too, and it would also run fast.

Or you could replace it with better-written OpenGL code and it would run fast; probably faster than the D3D9 code too.
            IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
            X