Quake Epsilon Low FPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake Epsilon Low FPS

So i downloaded and installed Quake Epsilon and ran it at it's highest settings. I get 60fps when walking around but when I get into battles the fps lowers right down under 30 sometimes 20.

My system is a GTX 770 2GB, AMD 8350, 8GB.

Is this normal?

@is this normal

Naaaah, you should get 2 or 300 fps with everything turned on max, in the middle of a battle. It's not like there are thousands of new particles and polygons being crammed through your gpu every frame. And of course real-time lights is not expensive at all.
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

use tomazquake
      is way better than epsilon
      the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
        @is this normal

Naaaah, you should get 2 or 300 fps with everything turned on max, in the middle of a battle. It's not like there are thousands of new particles and polygons being crammed through your gpu every frame. And of course real-time lights is not expensive at all.
        I did some digging around and it seems darkplaces could be the issue.

Comment

lol gypsy

however, gypsy is right on point on why the perforamance is slow.

since darkplaces uses openGL and such compilations use RTlights and add lots of particle-effects and other effects like reflections and refractions on water and windows,
          an eye-candy DP setup will bring the performance on any PC down to single digits in some situations....

it doesnt matter how insanely powerfull your setup might be,
          darkplaces uses openGL which is an old and slow rendering API

i myself can run rise of the tomb raider, ryse son of rome, shadow of mordor and litterally every brand-new high-end game on ultra settings with a solid 60+ FPS with my setup,
          yet darkplaces has poor performance even on my machine.

it has nothing to do with your setup, it has everything to do with the fact darkplaces uses the openGL renderer.

also, all the replacement models and effects in darkplaces were made by the community and they arent optimized for performance, unlike games made by a professional team of developers,
          where all assets are made to be of similar quality and lots of optimizations are put into place to still get good performance out of the game while cramming as much eye-candy into the game as possible
          are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
          > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
          everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Working...
          X