This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay ... more Qrack stuff.

The newest Qrack build I can find is 4679 (12/09/2014) from here: Index of /qrack/beta

However, the pak0 file is not complete. Namely it is missing the GFX folder that includes the updated console background, menu fonts, and a few other things.

That said, the 4679 .exe fixes the water alpha bug I mentioned in the previous post. I also noticed that if I have celshading turned on, I can't have partially transparent weapon models (e.g. r_drawviewmodel 0.5). Disabling celshading let's my weapon models go partially transparent again.

It might be nice to update the main download for Qrack with the new file and a complete pak0 file ... but it's not my engine

Comment

• Actually - scratch that. The water alpha effects on 4679 are all wonky. In some maps it works as normal, in other maps it causes all sorts of wierd ghosting/smeering effects and rendering problems when trying to look at the water.

All in all, the 'official' version v2.011.3467 still works the best, even though a few maps have some FPS issues with transparent water. Plus I like the 3467 lightning gun effect WAY better than the new one.

Comment

• maps that are vis'ed (they were precompiled with transparent water) can use solely the r_wateralpha cvar. But, maps like the original ID maps were not compiled for transparent water, so you must use r_novis cvar to bypass the ghosting, "hall of mirrors" effect. Also, you may use r_novis 2 and it will show items thru the water as well. But r_novis is SLOW on older machines because the renderer is drawing the entire map without culling.

I do need to update everything; I built a new machine, updated to windows 10 and all my stuff is in limbo atm. Private message me your email and i can compile/zip up my current version for you to test!
        www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

• PM sent - I'd be happy to help test.

Also, FWIW, I've been playing some DM with a friend (both using Qrack). I had a hard time getting ProQuake to work as a dedicated server, and randomly tried using Qrack as a dedicated server - it's been working just perfectly for that

Comment

• One more thing ...

So far I've found two custom DM maps that crash with Qrack (but work with other engines).

jrdm2
            https://www.quaddicted.com/files/map...ayer/jrdm2.zip

ac4
            https://www.quaddicted.com/files/map...player/ac4.zip

Maybe you can see why the engine is crashing in these maps?

Comment

• R00k - small personal request if you are working on some additional Qrack tweaks.

I LOVE the enhanced lightning gun effect from build 3467, but really don't like the one it changed to (circa 4679). The effect is now a thinner, more zig-zaggy look that I don't find terribly appealing. I tried adding back the old gfx files, but it the results were not correct. Can you add an enhanced 1 and enhanced 2 effect for the LG so people can have it either way?

Comment

• sure ill look back, i do have a 1 and 2 value currently i can add a 3 also

I'm looking into the ED_LoadfromFile bug on those maps; weird as my debug build gives no error but the release build does. :/
                Last edited by R00k; 09-18-2015, 11:12 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by R00k View Post
                  maps that are vis'ed (they were precompiled with transparent water) can use solely the r_wateralpha cvar. But, maps like the original ID maps were not compiled for transparent water, so you must use r_novis cvar to bypass the ghosting, "hall of mirrors" effect. Also, you may use r_novis 2 and it will show items thru the water as well. But r_novis is SLOW on older machines because the renderer is drawing the entire map without culling.

I do need to update everything; I built a new machine, updated to windows 10 and all my stuff is in limbo atm. Private message me your email and i can compile/zip up my current version for you to test!
                  What! Are people able to tell whether LG is spawned in water from bridges in DMTG?
                  Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

• clientside novis displays walls through unvised water.
                    serverside novis displays items/ents through said unvised water (I assume that's what 2 means, despite being an r_ cvar...).
                    Some Game Thing

Comment

• Ya r_novis 2 is only available in local games, as your client runs as the server also so it knows where entities are.

Comment

• ah okay. haha!
                        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

• it is good though for practice; you know where to shoot in water at the LG (dm3)
                          but can piss off mapperzs as it was not intended for clear water and they might have a secret/challenge.

Comment

• Another Qrack suggestion ...

The older versions disabled the demo from running at the start of the game. Can you bring that back or add a command line option for -nodemo or something?

How's it all coming along? Let me know if you need me to test anything - I believe I PM'd you my e-mail address. Cheers,

Comment

• You can add +playdemo foo.dem to your shortcut to stop demos playing,unless of course you are wierd enough to have actually recorded a demo named foo
                              WARNING
                              May be too intense for some viewers.
                              Stress Relief Device
                              ....BANG HEAD HERE....
                              ---------------------------
                              .--------------------------

Comment

• the quake.rc file was modified; the "demos demo1 demo2 demo3" line was commented out.

Comment

Working...
                                X