Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to share maps (and config) between clients (and mods)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to share maps (and config) between clients (and mods)?

I have three clients installed: darkplaces, tfeqw, and quakespasm. How can I share data between them, like maps or mods? I want to save disk space.

Also I don't quite understand how config works in those. Will I have to reconfigure every map/mod manually everytime, or I can share config between mods? Also, I want to make sure they don't write anywhere besides their own folder.

Originally posted by vibok View Post
    I have three clients installed: darkplaces, tfeqw, and quakespasm. How can I share data between them, like maps or mods? I want to save disk space.

Also I don't quite understand how config works in those. Will I have to reconfigure every map/mod manually everytime, or I can share config between mods? Also, I want to make sure they don't write anywhere besides their own folder.
    Time to research symbolic links in Windows. I have not tried this but Sevin wanted to keep his Quake folders tidy and symbolic links are how he accomplished it. Read this:

http://www.celephais.net/board/view_...nd=29526#29526
    Secret Level - Quake fandom & my custom levels

Comment

I wonder if save files are compatible between engines.

Comment

if you try sharing configs then you cause these multiple engines to just forget everything the other engines do not support. FTE and DP both write their configs to some home directory which takes precedence so for those 3 engines specifically this shouldn't be too much of an issue.
        otherwise you can just shove all 3 in the same directory along with your id1/etc subdirs.

FTE has a savegame_legacy command if you want to write saves in the same format as vanilla quake (but probably do a different gamedir - you'll probably need to move them around or something). Whether it can actually be correctly loaded depends on the mod, but vanilla 'should' save+load without any other issues between those 3 engines.
        Some Game Thing

Comment

Don't want them to write config into home or simular, wish they would be placed in the same folder with the client. Just to keep them all portable, so I can copy it on my flash drive and I'm set.

Currently I just rewrote DEFAULT.CFG for each client. So, each client folder have almost the same id1 folder in it, with only difference being the DEFAULT.CFG. Didn't like how clients kept rearranging lines on every write, so I wrote it by hand. This is the reason why I can't just use symbolic links, need to place config and saves in a separate directory.

Would be great it config and saves would be placed in the "config" directory in the client, separately from mods. FTE seems to have exactly that with it's "fte" folder, wish other engines could do that. I'd rename "fte" to "config", it's more clear that way.

Comment

Doing this properly requires teaching all three engines to execute a common engine-wide .cfg file. Putting this on pause until I figure out how to compile all three, and where "quake.rc" is executed from.

Comment

the -nohome argument instructs both FTE and DP to skip home directories entirely. This naturally causes fights over who owns the config.cfg files, and if you're switching engines then you will loose any and all engine-specific settings. FTE being the exception, as it writes */fte.cfg instead of */config.cfg.

Engines won't write autoexec.cfg, and anything in there overrides your config.cfg files.
              This makes it a good way to deal with configs getting rewritten+stripped of other-engine cvars.
              Some Game Thing

Comment

Working...
              X