Full-brights vs coloured lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full-brights vs coloured lighting

All the Quake engines that use coloured lighting seem to colour in full-bright textures, this seems wrong to me. Is this something that would be hard to code out, is it there for a reason or is it just obscure?
    Qoetia B4 == 1.93Mb

Expo Booth '08
    !AXATAXA! == 355.24 Kb Want to take on Quake with only your axe?
    Hunting shamblers since 1996.

The fullbright texture code isn't all that easy to add to an engine.

Colored lighting is pretty easy.

I figure any engine that went to the trouble of doing something so moderately tough as fullbright textures would certainly have something as simple as colored lighting
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Have you got some examples of this?

Comment

It's actually quite simple to do this.

1) Convert the fullbright to greyscale before uploading to OpenGL.
        2) Switch the texture blend to (lightmap + fullbright) * texture.

Mission accomplished!
        IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm hoping this isnt another "omg,fullbrights?You cheater!" ordeal....hehe
          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I'd hope not - if they were in software Quake as standard (and not toggle-able either) they can hardly be counted as cheating, can they?

What's that I hear calling over distant hills and vales? "OMG, software Quake? You cheater!"

Comment

rofl,a few years back I was using fullbrights,and Chuck [NygmA] through a shit fit over it.
              Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by mhquake View Post
                It's actually quite simple to do this.

1) Convert the fullbright to greyscale before uploading to OpenGL.
                2) Switch the texture blend to (lightmap + fullbright) * texture.

Mission accomplished!
                I'll have to play around with that then.

I know there are a small number of maps that specifically need fullbright support to be played (probably designed by someone using WinQuake/DOSQuake back in the day) and playing them in an engine without fullbright support is bad because they have shootable triggers that can't be seen in GLQuake.

/On the opposite end of the scale, there are maps made by GLQuake users with fullbrights in the textures everywhere that look terrible in WinQuake. Presumably because some of the texture manager apps will some colors in imported images to the fullbright range by default (I know TexMex does).
                Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

It's fiddly, since you can't do lightmap/texture in a single pass using multitexture here. If you have 3+ TMUs, you can do two rendering passes. In the first render lightmap/fullbright/texture as above, but only do textures that have fullbrights. In the second render lightmap/texture as normal, but only do textures that don't have fullbrights.

Another thing to watch out for is that a lot of external texture packs use very very faint lumas. I've found that just taking the brightest of R, G, and B, and writing it into all 3, is more effective than doing a proper greyscale.

Comment

Wasn't the original question asking if full-bright textures are coloured by the coloured lightmap.

As in if you had a yellow light shining on a surface with a white full-bright texture it would be tinted yellow instead of being white as it should be.

If this was what the original question was about then I would like to see some example screenshots of it because I think any engines would be coded this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                      I'm hoping this isnt another "omg,fullbrights?You cheater!" ordeal....hehe
                      Fullbrights, not fullbright! Fullbrights are just parts of an texture which are rendered fullbright regardless of the surrounding lighting. It has (from a player's view) nothing to do with rendering the whole level fullbright. The red runes on dm2 are a good example.
                      Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

Working...
                      X