Old-school Quake in 1920x1200?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old-school Quake in 1920x1200?

Looking for an updated WinQuake and/or GlQuake client that will let me do 1920x1200 while retaining the original look-feel of the game. In particular, I love the old-school particle effects -- I think they are beautiful in the same way old vector games (or new vector games, like Geometry Wars) are beautiful. The closest I've found is Fitzquake; it looks fantastic but it switches the particles to circles, which kinds bums my trip. Is there an option in Fitzquake to retain the old-school particles, or is there another engine that is more minimally updated?

I'd also really love to be able to run the software renderer in 1920, too. I'd settle for lower resolution (it would make the nostalgia trip more realistic), but I'm running on an LCD and anything other than the native resolution looks like ass.

Thanks in advance.

GL ProQuake 3.99 can do 1920x1200 it and looks identical to GLQuake. It also has the ability to change video modes in the menu (that code was basically FitzQuake's, hehe)

http://www.quakeone.com/proquake

Enhanced GLQuake should be able to do 1920x1200 as well: http://user.tninet.se/~xir870k/. Enhanced GLQuake has skybox support and fog support to support the latest and greatest single player maps and is a great single player engine.

And I think TyrQuake would be able to, but if you don't like FitzQuake's minor rendering changes I don't think you'd like TyrQuake's lighting: http://disenchant.net/engine.html

WinQuake style ... well, I can't even imagine how slow that would run. WinQuake is a software renderer that draws pixel by pixel without acceleration. Even if 1920x1200 were possible in WinQuake (it sort of is), I don't know that it would be acceptably fast.
    Last edited by Baker; 03-31-2008, 04:40 PM.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Sweet! Thanks for all those suggestions. I'll definitely be trying those clients when I get home!

Originally posted by Baker View Post
      WinQuake style ... well, I can't even imagine how slow that would run. WinQuake is a software renderer that draws pixel by pixel without acceleration. Even if 1920x1200 were possible in WinQuake (it sort of is), I don't know that it would be acceptably fast.
      I think (I hope ^_^) you're underestimating how how fucking amazing Quake's software renderer is, and how powerful computers have become since it was released. Remember, Carmack collaborated with Michael Abrash on Quake. Abrash is an absolute god of assembly language and code optimization. Nothing like that software engine has been seen before or since; it was doing full 3D in software on sub-100Mhz processors. 12 years later, even a $299 Dell is like a Cray supercomputer compared to anything on the planet back then. My machine can run software Quake with glassy framerates at the max framerates it supports. I'm not sure 1920x1200 would be much more taxing (I could be wrong). The damn engine just won't let me try.
      Last edited by Mud; 03-31-2008, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mud View Post
        I'm not sure 1920x1200 would be much more taxing (I could be wrong). The damn engine just won't let me try.
        If you INSIST on being able to try WinQuake in that mode, I think I know how it could be done (with either aguirRe's Enhanced WinQuake, [Win] JoeQuake or Win ProQuake 3.99) by using vid_describemodes and then setting vid_mode X, where X is the mode # from vid_describemodes. I'd try this with Enhanced WinQuake.

The reason I believe it will be REAL slow:

1) With 1440x900, I get 100ish FPS on a middle of the pack graphics card with GL ProQuake 3.99.

2) GLQuake is faster than WinQuake and although I never tried such a resolution with WinQuake, it would surely be slower than GLQuake.

3) 1920x1200 at 2.x million pixels is twice as many pixels as 1440x900.

That's my guess. I could be wrong.
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

For Fitzquake:

r_particles 2 = square particles
          gl_texturemode gl_nearest = non filtered texturess

Fitzquake's advantage is that it renders fullbrights (eg the red light on a button) and overbrights (very bright surfaces) like Winquake.

http://shub-hub.com/files/images/fitz0013.jpg
          Last edited by Spirit; 04-01-2008, 02:54 AM. Reason: screenshot
          Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

You must be the self abusive type of you want to play on winquake. And your machine might run quake at 72 fps on 1920x1200 but try pq_maxfps 500 and I doubt you're maxed at all times.

There's absolutely no reason to use winquake over glquake. That's more than a little foolish. It's still the same game, just one has no hardware acceleration.

Comment

Originally posted by omix2 View Post
              You must be the self abusive type of you want to play on winquake. And your machine might run quake at 72 fps on 1920x1200 but try pq_maxfps 500 and I doubt you're maxed at all times.

There's absolutely no reason to use winquake over glquake. That's more than a little foolish. It's still the same game, just one has no hardware acceleration.
              There is. That reason is called taste and it is different from person to person.
              Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

I did some checking and it appears that 1280 is the maximum WinQuake resolution naturally available in WinQuake, so 1920x1200 in an existing engine isn't a possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit
                  r_particles 2 = square particles
                  gl_texturemode gl_nearest = non filtered texturess

Fitzquake's advantage is that it renders fullbrights (eg the red light on a button) and overbrights (very bright surfaces) like Winquake.
                  Thanks, bro! That's pretty much exactly what I was after.

Originally posted by Spirit
                  There is. That reason is called taste and it is different from person to person.
                  Thanks again.

Originally posted by Baker
                  I did some checking and it appears that 1280 is the maximum WinQuake resolution naturally available in WinQuake, so 1920x1200 in an existing engine isn't a possibility.
                  I found an old discussion where someone talked about updating the software renderer, and the request for 1920x1200 was made, but I have no clue what happened to that. I think I'm cool with Fitzquake with the above settings. It's a nice compromise between hardware assisted performance and the old-school look that tickles my nostalgia bone. Thanks everyone for your help; you guys went above and beyond the call of duty.

Comment

tochris quake has a software version with some nifty features: http://hkitchen.net/tochris/tochris_167/

Comment

Working...
                    X