ProQuake Linux Dedicated Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ProQuake Linux Dedicated Server

Download: ProQuake 3.90 Linux Dedicated Server- RC1 (1.5 MB)

Has been tested to ensure all functionality, could use a little more testing.

Shouldn't require svgalib like old ProQuake dedicated server appeared to need.

Has both players only anti-wallhack (sv_cullentities 1) and Rook's all entities anti-wallhack (sv_cullentities 2).
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Great, news!

Gonna test this when i'm at home this weekend.

From work
    My servers for the gamers:
    bigfoot.servequake.com / damage.servequake.com

port 26000 EuroQuake
    port 26001 EuroQuake Coop

newyork.quakeone.com
    Offline ATM
    fvf.servequake.com
    flanders.servegame.org / flanders.servequake.com
    Offline ATM
    newdm.servequake.com
    port 26010

http://bigfoot.servequake.com (EuroQuake)
    sigpic

Comment

i tried running the binary on the euroquake serverbox but it seems to have a GLIBC_2.4 dependency (whatever, i'm a linux noob)

anyways.. this guy seems to have some sort of solution (ctrl+f for GLIBC_2.4 on that page) on how to compile binaries without GLIBC_2.4 dependencies..

Comment

Baker,

A possible fix for this is to:

1) Edit Makefile.am in the pqsrc directory
        2) At the very bottom add this line:

unixded_LDFLAGS = -static

3) Type "automake"
        4) Recompile unixded - it should be compiled statically and have no library dependencies at all
        5) Type "ldd unixded" - you should get the message: "not a dynamic executable"

This should guarantee that the binary will run the same on any linux machine.
        "If we fight for money I'll stop hitting you when you ask me to. If we fight for honor, I'll stop hitting you when I feel like it." - Rickson Gracie

Comment

I'll give that a try.

Starting 3 days from now, I'll have more time than in the past few months.
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by mithril View Post
            Baker,

A possible fix for this is to:

1) Edit Makefile.am in the pqsrc directory
            2) At the very bottom add this line:

unixded_LDFLAGS = -static

3) Type "automake"
            4) Recompile unixded - it should be compiled statically and have no library dependencies at all
            5) Type "ldd unixded" - you should get the message: "not a dynamic executable"

This should guarantee that the binary will run the same on any linux machine.
            I get 2 warnings, first about dlopen which is the mechanism that initiates the (fairly useless, especially on Linux) ProQuake cheat-free mode mechanism.

I also get a warning about "gethostbyname" in net_udp.c, which if a server operator is using -ip x.x.x.x in the server command line, that statement isn't even important.

I almost have a unified Windows/Linux single source ProQuake 4 "Classic" available, which is ProQuake 3.50 with strictly only critical bug fixes plus a very limited set of new commands (plus anti-wallhack option, of course).

Issues:

1) GLX likes to complain upon quitting. Not much of a big deal but should be fixed.
            2) Whatever testing reveals about how to improve it as far as dependencies or quality goes with the make file stuff.

Would like to do:

1) Support for more than 3 mouse buttons. My experiments and reading some docs are making me wonder if Linux natively supports this by default. I might need assistance learning how to hack Linux to support more mouse buttons so that they are avaialble for Quake.

2) "My" Anti-wallhack appears to work fine in dedicated server, but yet in quake_x11 or glquake_glx I fall through the floor. I think this has to do with asm_i386.h somehow. Oh well, I'm using Rook's fully which doesn't require that, although I prefer "my" method for the player models because it is just slightly better in certain partial visibility situations, but oh well ... I never notice anything at Rage. I was using mixed mode, "mine" for players and Rook's for all other entities.

3) The sound thing

I'll preserve this and upload it soon. Then I be starting into the "evolved" features like r_farclip, optional interpolation, dynamic console sizing, extra menus and other things that are just extras to have. Maybe even video mode switching, although due to Linux's command line oriented nature I'm not sure how necessary this is.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
              I get 2 warnings, first about dlopen which is the mechanism that initiates the (fairly useless, especially on Linux) ProQuake cheat-free mode mechanism.

I also get a warning about "gethostbyname" in net_udp.c, which if a server operator is using -ip x.x.x.x in the server command line, that statement isn't even important.
              I get the same warnings here....I'm not entirely sure what they mean. Apparantly -static does not make a completely static executable and the C library will transparantly link to shared libraries for the 'dlopen' and 'gethostbyname' calls. These 2 calls should be standard on any modern linux so I think you can safely ignore those warnings.

Would like to do:

1) Support for more than 3 mouse buttons. My experiments and reading some docs are making me wonder if Linux natively supports this by default. I might need assistance learning how to hack Linux to support more mouse buttons so that they are avaialble for Quake.
              No idea...I've never used more than 2 buttons in quake . But linux in general does support 3 buttons (my scroll wheel on my mouse works just fine)
              "If we fight for money I'll stop hitting you when you ask me to. If we fight for honor, I'll stop hitting you when I feel like it." - Rickson Gracie

Comment

Ok ...

Download: ProQuake 3.90 Linux Dedicated Server- RC2 (1.5 MB)

If everything is ok, shouldn't have the GLIBC_2.4 dependency. Tested an looks ok in cheat-free mode.

Set sv_cullentities 2 in the command line or autoexec.cfg on the server for all-entities anti-wallhack testing. Defaults to 1, players only.

Comment

I tested this version on the euroquake box and it runs fine.. that is.. it runs.. but its not fully compatible with the rune-quake mod, as it fails to store certain cvars properly..

for example: the "teamplay" cvar in runequake is stored as "xxx Runequake 1.2" where xxx is the value.. but this bin only stores the "1.2" bit of that string which forces the mod to team mode and there is no way to change it..

from what i understand this has to do with some references to i368 architecture embedded in the original proquake code.. (or whatever)

I'm sure mithril will be able to figure out a way to compile this bin without those references to make it compatible with rune-quake

just a heads up.. keep up the good work! its getting there

edit:
                  could you PM me copy of the source code please? Thanx in advance..

Comment

Originally posted by =peg= View Post
                    I tested this version on the euroquake box and it runs fine.. that is.. it runs.. but its not fully compatible with the rune-quake mod, as it fails to store certain cvars properly..

for example: the "teamplay" cvar in runequake is stored as "xxx Runequake 1.2" where xxx is the value.. but this bin only stores the "1.2" bit of that string which forces the mod to team mode and there is no way to change it..

from what i understand this has to do with some references to i368 architecture embedded in the original proquake code.. (or whatever)

I'm sure mithril will be able to figure out a way to compile this bin without those references to make it compatible with rune-quake

just a heads up.. keep up the good work! its getting there

edit:
                    could you PM me copy of the source code please? Thanx in advance..
                    Yeah, I'll private message you a copy of the source.

RuneQuake does weird stuff with the teamplay cvar, I first discovered the problem 2 years ago when JoeQuake had the same problem.

I think the RuneQuake mod uses the teamplay cvar in a bizarre way because it allowed Slot Zero to make a custom "Show RuneQuake" servers tab for GameSpy and identify the version.

7 years ago, GameSpy was a big deal and tons of players used it. Today, almost no one does.

Since the bigfoot server uses a highly customized version of RuneQuake to make it largely CRMOD, let me ask you this ...

Does the "RuneQuake" part of RuneQuake get used at all or is it just being used as a CRMOD replacement with possibly occasionally Rocket Arena use?

Comment

hmm well most of the time its running in vanilla dm mode with weapon stay on and spawnshields.. due to the fact that match-mode and arena-mode in runequake 1.2 are buggy as hell to the point that is barely usable.. neither modes get a lot of playtime.. but these problems should be a thing of the past once rocketguy fixes us up with runequake 1.3

having said that.. i think most people would still prefer the mod as it is over cr-mod due to the large number of custom maps it supports and its versatility.

Comment

Originally posted by =peg= View Post
                        hmm well most of the time its running in vanilla dm mode with weapon stay on and spawnshields.. due to the fact that match-mode and arena-mode in runequake 1.2 are buggy as hell to the point that is barely usable.. neither modes get a lot of playtime.. but these problems should be a thing of the past once rocketguy fixes us up with runequake 1.3

having said that.. i think most people would still prefer the mod as it is over cr-mod due to the large number of custom maps it supports and its versatility.
                        I wasn't suggesting CRMOD. I think RuneQuake does everything CRMOD does for vanilla DM better than CRMOD because of how hi-tech the mod is.

Are the spawn shields on intentionally?

The reason I am asking, is I am considering making a prepackaged DM mod from RuneQuake and rather than figure out the weirdness with the "teamplay" cvar, I might just "fix" it in the mod itself.

I was testing a vanilla FFA mod with Dreadful and the standard progs106 is just light-years behind RQ, in terms of an observer system, vote options, admin system and then you have the unfixed "Quake bugs".

Comment

Are the spawn shields on intentionally?
                          well i atm i have the server setup to set shields on by default but they can be voted off anytime.. some people hate to get spawnfragged every .0001 second.. others hate the spawnshields.. any setting can be voted for or more detailed settings can be changed using rcon if players request to do so..

The reason I am asking, is I am considering making a prepackaged DM mod from RuneQuake and rather than figure out the weirdness with the "teamplay" cvar, I might just "fix" it in the mod itself.
                          yeah fixing the mod it self would be the way to go i guess.. the "xxx runequake 1.2" string for the teamplay cvar seems to serve no purpose other then being annoying..

Comment

Working...
                          X