Ping Private

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ping Private

I was wondering if an added feature that would mask a players ping, (same as IP masking), but client-side would create issues. Allowing the client to use cl_private_ping 1 and the server would report 9999 to all other connecting clients. Ping is pretty cosmetic status of other players, and masking this status might increase a little more strategy. Or should the client NOT have the right to hide his ping?
    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

I think it would be a bad thing not to see others pings.
    uakene.com

Comment

I agree. Letting players hide their own ping wouldn't be a good idea. I don't know how exactly, I just know it could lead to bad things. Why would one want to hide their ping anyway?

Comment

Cheats I Tell Yah!!! Cheats
        This body holding me,reminds me of my own mortality.
        Embrace this moment, remember, we are eternal,all this pain is an illusion.

Comment

You can also pretty much tell if someone has a low ping compared to average and high ping. A lot of low ping players rely on their shafting to do damage.

Maybe R00k is ashamed of his ping?
          QuakeOne.com
          Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
          Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
          Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
            You can also pretty much tell if someone has a low ping compared to average and high ping. A lot of low ping players rely on their shafting to do damage.

Maybe R00k is ashamed of his ping?
            Oh dear, I'm being called out!!

No I just wanted to consider the option to dilute the ideal of players who think fake pings matter.

Comment

Perhaps another issue to consider is over on the euro servers we (Me, Peg, Polarite, etc) often 'ping up' to make things a little fairer if someone is significantly disadvantaged because of ping. If it is hidden we won't know by how much to increase our pings to try and level the playing field.

Kind regards

Monty
              Mr.Burns
              "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
              WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
              Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

That will make it hard to catch bots with high pings.

Nothing against you R00k, you rock!

Comment

if someone is significantly disadvantaged because of ping?

im not that disadvantaged...i think

Comment

I probably missed something but I wasn't aware that I had actually refered to you metch... however, I'm sure you could kick Peg's butt.. god knows the target is big enough (jk)

To explain and little further, there have been occassions recently when some US based players have ventured on to the flanders or Bigfoot servers and suffered from trying to play with 130+ ping instead of the 30-50 they may be used to. In the interests of fair play a number of euro players often increase their ping so that their US opponents are not unfairly advantaged. Maybe I'm wrong but I always take the view that win or lose it should be on as fair as playing field as possible.

Of coruse, this doesn't apply to the mighty ORL who tends to turn everyone in his path in to a sticky mess regardless of his ping :d

If the poor transatlantic player's ping was hidden we couldn't accurately make such a sporting gesture, where necessary, to make the game more enjoyable.

Kind regards

Monty
                    Last edited by Mr.Burns; 05-09-2008, 07:44 AM.
                    Mr.Burns
                    "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"

Comment

I must have been drunk when i proposed this!
                      prior to pq_showscoreboardping WTF-cared eh? now its every death lets hit TAB to see the ping of the sob that killed me? :/

either way im not going to implement this feature because 99% of the players DONT want this crap! And more to the point that it might make proxy bots more elusive

Comment

If you're looking for something to add to Qrack how about expanding the multiplayer set up options menu to allow players to select differenct skins from the skin pack. Not everyone loading up Qrack will know how to enable teamskins and select one from the various choices.

Failing that you could always do the Painkeep weapons port into DMP we spoke about

Kind regards

Monty
                        Mr.Burns

Comment

I know, i know i spent a couple hours in DMP and thre was 1000 things i wanted to fix then - ack! i dont have time...

I do have a more enhanced menu in the works!

I plan on making a "total conversion" once i sober up

Comment

(b)
                            Originally posted by R00k View Post
                            I know, i know i spent a couple hours in DMP and thre was 1000 things i wanted to fix then - ack! i dont have time...

I do have a more enhanced menu in the works!

I plan on making a "total conversion" once i sober up
                            This is really good to hear R00k. If there's anything I can do to help (putting up a test server, website, writing the documentation, organising testing, etc) then please let me know. I'm sure Polarite, Peg and others would be more than willing to do any testing you might need as they have been very supportive up to this point with the work that Zop very kindly did to get it thus far.

And of course, once you're sober and have finished the TC come on over to Europe and I'll be happy to get you smashed again (b)

Kind regards

Monty
                            Mr.Burns

Comment

Represent!

Comment

Working...
                              X