Client help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Client help

I've been using glproquake for years, and i've loved it, but due to a recent update of my video drivers, it's become unplayable for me, with random big color blotches all over the screen. So, i guess i've got to find a new client, and i'm not quite sure what to do. I want something that feels as close as possible to the original quake. So, i'm playing with qrack now, and it's okay. does anyone have a config they can send me that has graphics settings and everything turned to as close as possible to the original quake? there's one problem i have with it--about every minute or two, i get a few seconds of what looks like lag; but i know it's not real lag because i don't get it with other clients and i have a good connection. anyone know how to fix this problem?
    i read in another thread recently that people have difficulty with ATI video cards and quake in general, so i've also thought about buying a different video card so i could go back to proquake.
    hum; problems, problems..... any suggestions?

Try adding -safe -no8bit -nomtex to your command line. And then upon startup, type gl_ztrick 0 and gl_clear 1 in the console. Does ProQuake behave properly if you do this?

Do any of the follow clients run properly on your card?

FitzQuake (download)
    Enhanced GLQuake (Download)
    ProQuake 3.99 (Download)

If Qrack runs fine on your card, then it should it be clear what is causing the problem with the answers to the above questions. Qrack isn't really all that different than any other Quake except that it loads replacement graphics and particles (Qrack's OpenGL API code isn't incredibly obsolete like GLQuake's is).

If you start Qrack with -no24bit, I imagine it is quite similar to ProQuake after turning off the fancy particles.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Why not just find the old drivers again... I know there's a driver archive on Nvidia's site, not sure about ATi.
      e|------------------------0---------------
      B|---------------0^1----------------1----
      G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
      D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
      A|---------------0------------------------
      E|----------------------------------------

Comment

thanks baker, i will try those things and get back to you. fitzquake and enhanced glquake don't run playable; i don't recall what proquake 3.99 was like. will try it again and get back to you if those commands don't work.
        foq--maybe i will do that

Comment

gl_ztrick 0 got rid of my problem. thank you so much baker!!!!
          now i still have one other problem with glproquake 3.50. after it's been running for a while, maybe half an hour, it starts to run choppy--it's as if it skips every other 5 frames or so. I can still play pretty well, but it's damn annoying. to get it to go away, i have to restart the computer. it gets progressively worse as i play longer and longer. it's also coupled with another strange symptom: it plays demos extremely fast. this problem also gets worse as i play longer but goes away after a restart. any ideas? i'm so happy i can use glpro 3.5 again!! =)

Comment

Originally posted by spooker View Post
            it gets progressively worse as i play longer and longer. it's also coupled with another strange symptom: it plays demos extremely fast. this problem also gets worse as i play longer but goes away after a restart. any ideas? i'm so happy i can use glpro 3.5 again!! =)
            That's the system CPU clock bug in GLQuake (and ProQuake 3.50).

It is fixed in ProQuake 3.99, Qrack, DarkPlaces and JoeQuake.
            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

baker i just found a way to fix the system CPU clock bug in glproquake 3.50. You have to set the program to run on only 1 core. In XP, hit alt-tab and go to processes, right click on the process and go to "set affinity" and select only 1 core. the bad part is that as far i know you have to do this every time you start the application. it may sound silly, but i'm willing to do this; i love glpro 3.50 so much. i've tried all the others and none of them do it for me.

Comment

okay i found a nifty little program that automatically sets affinity for programs. it's called Get and Set CPU Affinity

there are others; this one worked for me

omg i'm so happy--i've just been putting up with this problem for years.
                halleluia!

Comment

Originally posted by spooker View Post
                  it may sound silly, but i'm willing to do this; i love glpro 3.50 so much. i've tried all the others and none of them do it for me.
                  It makes perfect sense to me, actually.

I'm leaning towards creating a bug-fixed only ProQuake 3.50.

What I've realized, even for me, is that most people want ProQuake 3.50 as it is without the few existing bugs that make it a pain.

Demo rewind and all the other gadgetry doesn't improve the client. Most people just want to play.

I'm strongly considering making the bug-fixed only version ProQuake 4 and taking the existing version with all the extras and renaming it.

Comment

yeah true man, i hear ya.
                    i had to deal with this same problem trying to run Battlefront 2, and the tech support people told me about this "set affinity" bit. Thats what clued me into the potential solution after you mentioned it was a cpu clock error. since the problem got worse over time until i restarted, i had tended to think it was a ram error
                    anyways, thanks for the help, im very happy

Comment

Working...
                    X