ProQuake 4.43

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by riffraff1138 View Post
    ... Scourge of Armagon in ProQuake 4.51, and the gold key doesn't spawn in Hip2M3 when played in the DX8, D3D, or GL versions of ProQuake. It does appear in WQPro though.
    Ok, the issue was a bbox bounds fixed model loader in 4.51 I incorporated from:

Inside3d Forums :: View topic - Easy Bounding Box Fix

Ok, going to have to use JoeQuake's.

The map VeniVidiFuzzi has brush model rails that would disappear depending on the angle, and I figured it was time I did that long overdue fix.

Enhanced GLQuake's bbox fix STILL had issues with those rails, so I decided to use R00k's code from Rich Whitehouse.

Removing it and the gold key is there in hip2m3

Strange and don't quite understand why. If I type "edict 134" in the console in 4.50 it gives me entity information, yet in 4.51 it says "FREE".
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolv View Post
      Err, I meant I tried it on Win7 AND XP and had no luck at all. I have it in C:\Quake.
      In the next version, I'll fix this. Provided I guessed the problem correctly; I think I have.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Baker View Post
        Ok, the issue was a bbox bounds fixed model loader in 4.51...

Strange and don't quite understand why. If I type "edict 134" in the console in 4.50 it gives me entity information, yet in 4.51 it says "FREE".
        I'm still not entirely clear on what, much less why. Is the game recognizing that the key is supposed to be there, but not that the player should be able to see/interact with it, or is it actually not spawning altogether?

Originally posted by Baker View Post
        Thanks! It is rare to get an obscure high quality bug report, especially for a Mission Pack.
        You're quite welcome. After recently getting tired of wrestling with Darkplaces and experimenting with other source ports, ProQuake quickly became my engine of choice, so I certainly want to be sure everything's working correctly in it.

To that end, I should probably note that while experimenting with the various versions of ProQuake 4.51 to see if the gold key would appear, I found that WQPro wouldn't save my video settings; it would always reset to 320x200 when I started it up again, even if I set a higher resolution as the default, and even if I tried deleting the old config file beforehand. I can't imagine this is by design.

Comment

I'm still not entirely clear on what, much less why. Is the game recognizing that the key is supposed to be there, but not that the player should be able to see/interact with it, or is it actually not spawning altogether?
          The key is simply being deleted by some unknown process. I don't know why and am asking here. If I got really serious I could spend an hour tracking the entity to find out where and how.

After recently getting tired of wrestling with Darkplaces
          Yeah unfortunately, almost everyone wrestles with DarkPlaces. In fact, this fact got me into engine coding.

ProQuake quickly became my engine of choice, so I certainly want to be sure everything's working correctly in it.
          Thanks! My goals with ProQuake are for it work on anyone's machine without issue and for it to be easy to setup.

When the ProQuake version hits 5, I'm going to stop doing updates and run it through a kiloton of tests and quality testing to look for anything unusual. As any change can unfortunately result in an unforeseen bug, I have the current versions marked "beta".

To that end, I should probably note that while experimenting with the various versions of ProQuake 4.51 to see if the gold key would appear, I found that WQPro wouldn't save my video settings; it would always reset to 320x200 when I started it up again, even if I set a higher resolution as the default, and even if I tried deleting the old config file beforehand. I can't imagine this is by design.
          Just tested and in fact this is true as well. Will fix.

Comment

I'm still not entirely clear on what, much less why.
            The bounding box fix caused the key to technically touch outside of the map and fall out of the map. This is an extremely rare situation, but I've seen it happen before (with DarkPlaces in particular).

Inside3d Forums :: View topic - Bounding box fix + compatibility?

Comment

The bounding box fix caused the key to technically touch outside of the map and fall out of the map.
              Ha! I actually considered that possibility early on, but somehow I thought the problem was more complicated than it really was, and my attempt to understand something that I thought was over my head led me to second-guess myself.

Comment

• Well, if luck holds true ... I have 3 hours to some engine coding rage and I expect to have updates to both ProQuake and EngineX.

Comment

Well, if luck holds true ...
                  But luck didn't quite work out, unfortunately it will be Tuesday at the earliest before any more updates occur.

Comment

Enhanced GLQuake's bbox fix STILL had issues with those rails, so I decided to use R00k's code from Rich Whitehouse. Removing it and the gold key is there in hip2m3
                    Weird, it works for me. I can noclip straight to the gold key and see it sitting there by that teleporter amongst all those shamblers... did you remove all instances of aliasbboxmins & aliasbboxmaxs in gl_model.c? Alternately, FitzQuake has a heavy-duty bounding box creation routine, while DirectQ has a robust one as well.
                    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

• Originally posted by R00k View Post
                      Weird, it works for me. I can noclip straight to the gold key and see it sitting there by that teleporter amongst all those shamblers... did you remove all instances of aliasbboxmins & aliasbboxmaxs in gl_model.c? Alternately, FitzQuake has a heavy-duty bounding box creation routine, while DirectQ has a robust one as well.
                      No I mean the rails in VeniVidiFuzzi, not hipxmx. Load up Enhanced GLQuake and go to the most Venice-river-looking part of the map. Turn slowly, the rails disappear.

Comment

• I somehow didn't learn my lesson earlier, and continued using PQ 4.51 for a while (just now switching to 4.50). I ran into some more weird effects that seem to also be caused by the bounding box issue; they only occur in the same 4.51 versions in which the gold key disappeared, not WQPro, and not earlier ProQuake builds. They probably don't need any checking into, but I thought you might be interested in reading them anyway:

General bug: Some enemies that are composed of multiple models, like Armagon and the robot enemies in Malice, are missing their upper bodies. For some reason, this doesn't affect Giant Apocalypse in Ravages of Apocalypse.

Malice: The probe can't move. It's supposed to fly forward when the attack key is pressed, but doesn't. It spawns rather close to the player, so I think its box may be intersecting and getting stuck on Damage's box. That or the floor.

X-Men: Cannonball seems to have no clipping while in flight. Not only does he fly through walls, but through the player as well. Normally, he flies at the player, punches, and lands. In PQ4.51, Cannonball flies at the player and circles him without end, trapping him in place. He's also (intentionally) invincible while flying, meaning you can't kill him to escape.

I also ran into some minor issues not caused by bounding boxes, which also occur in earlier versions of ProQuake. I figure I should post them as well:

Malice: When the config file is generated for Malice, Y is auto-bound to "cycle", in theory, to cycle through inventory items. In practice, it prints a description of the "cycle" function; to actually work as intended, Y needs to be bound to "impulse 14". I also tried aliasing "cycle" to impulse 14, but that didn't work.

X-Men: When the player picks up a piece of the superweapon, a hologram of Magneto appears and delivers a text message. However, the ends of some of the longer messages get cut off. Not a game breaker, but it's still not supposed to happen.

Comment

I somehow didn't learn my lesson earlier, and continued using PQ 4.51 for a while (just now switching to 4.50). I ran into some more weird effects that seem to also be caused by the bounding box issue; they only occur in the same 4.51 versions in which the gold key disappeared, not WQPro, and not earlier ProQuake builds. They probably don't need any checking into, but I thought you might be interested in reading them anyway:

General bug: Some enemies that are composed of multiple models, like Armagon and the robot enemies in Malice, are missing their upper bodies. For some reason, this doesn't affect Giant Apocalypse in Ravages of Apocalypse.

Malice: The probe can't move. It's supposed to fly forward when the attack key is pressed, but doesn't. It spawns rather close to the player, so I think its box may be intersecting and getting stuck on Damage's box. That or the floor.

X-Men: Cannonball seems to have no clipping while in flight. Not only does he fly through walls, but through the player as well. Normally, he flies at the player, punches, and lands. In PQ4.51, Cannonball flies at the player and circles him without end, trapping him in place. He's also (intentionally) invincible while flying, meaning you can't kill him to escape.
                          I was wary of the bounding box fix. That particular one has had plenty of "bad" side effects. Going to reverse that, use another one and create a command line option to disable it for testing purposes.

Malice: When the config file is generated for Malice, Y is auto-bound to "cycle", in theory, to cycle through inventory items. In practice, it prints a description of the "cycle" function; to actually work as intended, Y needs to be bound to "impulse 14". I also tried aliasing "cycle" to impulse 14, but that didn't work.
                          ProQuake has cycle and toggle cvar support. I'll rename "cycle" commands, since it is interfering with this alias.

JoeQuake and some other engines have a "reset" command, which is incredibly bad because several multiplayer mods use a reset command in-game. So the idea of commands already occupied by mods isn't a new one.

X-Men: When the player picks up a piece of the superweapon, a hologram of Magneto appears and delivers a text message. However, the ends of some of the longer messages get cut off. Not a game breaker, but it's still not supposed to happen.
                          I'll look into this. What map has an example of the message getting cut-off, I want ProQuake to 100% with all GLQuake compatible mods, obviously.

Comment

• About the MALICE probe bug, i had this problem recently which was related to PF_SetModel code, this fixed my problems

Code:
                            /*
                            =================
                            PF_setmodel

setmodel(entity, model)
                            =================
                            */
                            static vec3_t quakemins = {-16, -16, -16}, quakemaxs = {16, 16, 16};
                            void PF_setmodel (void)
                            {
                            	edict_t	*e;
                            	char	*m, **check;
                            	model_t	*mod;
                            	int		i;

e = G_EDICT(OFS_PARM0);

if (e == sv.edicts)
                            	{
                            		return;
                            	}
                            	m = G_STRING(OFS_PARM1);

// check to see if model was properly precached
                            	for (i=0, check = sv.model_precache ; *check ; i++, check++)
                            		if (!strcmp(*check, m))
                            			break;

if (!*check)
                            		PR_RunError ("setmodel: model '%s' was not precached!\n", m);

e->v.model = m - pr_strings;
                            	e->v.modelindex = i; //SV_ModelIndex (m);

mod = sv.models[(int)e->v.modelindex];  // Mod_ForName (m, true);

if (mod)
                            	{
                            		if (mod->type != mod_alias)
                            			PF_SetMinMaxSize (e, mod->mins, mod->maxs);
                            		else
                            			PF_SetMinMaxSize (e, quakemins, quakemaxs);
                            	}
                            	else
                            		PF_SetMinMaxSize (e, vec3_origin, vec3_origin);
                            }
                            www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

I'll look into this. What map has an example of the message getting cut-off, I want ProQuake to 100% with all GLQuake compatible mods, obviously.
                              The first proper level (x1m1) has it; Each Magneto message is supposed to end with "(Press JUMP when ready)", but in the first level, that line only gets as far as "(Pr". In x1m3 it's cut off in the middle of a sentence before Magneto finishes talking.

Comment

The first proper level (x1m1) has it; Each Magneto message is supposed to end with "(Press JUMP when ready)", but in the first level, that line only gets as far as "(Pr". In x1m3 it's cut off in the middle of a sentence before Magneto finishes talking.
                                Are you using the X-Men bug-fixed progs.dat version by LordHavoc? (Likely you are.)

I will test against original Quake and Enhanced GLQuake. If either of those have the issue as well, I'll have to think about the appropriate course of action.

If the bug-fixed progs.dat requires non-GLQuake standard modifications to run, I don't know if I'm going to cross into that territory for certain. At least at this point, I'm rather set on strict GLQuake compatibility. At least strict GLQuake compatibility as an option or the default.

Comment

Working...
                                X