Nehahra w/ DarkPlaces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello,

Thank you Solecord for opening this thread.
    I didnt want to create a new one, as this thread holds a lot of Darkplaces specific solutions for running and enjoying Nehahra.

Thanks to AlexQuaker and Spike for making it possible to edit & compile the Nehahra source. I spent some time playing around with it and want to share a small mod with you.

This is a small Darkplaces mod that adds/replaces some features/effects to Nehahra.
    It changes all the default particles as well as adding particle fire (torches & candles & lanterns (only not swinging ones)).
    It also changes the TE_LAVASPLASH effect from Gaunts and Archgaunts (which was extremely strong and didnt let you see anything anymore).
    Also the weird looking effects around the spawn/teleport points are now looking more like they look like in original Nehahra.

Interesting thing about Nehahras custom effect code is that todays engine interprete them very differently. Example the above mentioned spawn/teleport points:
    While Darkplaces cripples them to a weird looking spherical purple/white ball and FTE sprays them like crazy all over the place. DirectQ comes nearest to the original look of them, but still quite strong.
    Interesting how different modern engines act to "not-standard" Quake code...

This is a comparism from Darkplaces of those spawn/teleport points without and with the small mod:

DOWNLOAD

Have fun,
    Seven.

Some more random screenshots for those who like to look pictures

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P15yO2WigA0[/ame]

Comment

Just discovered the Nehara Mod.
      And thus this thread.
      unfortunately the Link is dead - any chance it will be available again or somwhere else?

And: Thx, seven.

Comment

Seven

I'm with Phineas here, a reupload would be great. BTW, does your mod also fix the overbright issue?
        ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
        ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

Hello,

Here is an updated version, that can be run/used even if the SMC is present/available in the id1 subfolder.
          In other words, the Nehahra extension mod doesnt share the same contents which could bring issues before. It is standalone AND can be used even if SMC content is detected/used.

DOWNLOAD

Have fun,
          Seven

Comment

THX a lot, Seven, you are the man!

By the way:
            If anyone wants to start right away without the 15 min. cutscene in Nehahra, put this in your autoexec.cfg (as an alternative to starting the game from console with '+map neh1m1'):
            cutscene "0.000000"

Will be busy now playin' all the cool maps and mods of the last 19 years, using DP with and without SMC, as well as plain Quakespasm or with Quoth or Drake. Both clients pimped with QRP.
            Step by step i'm getting into it, with great help and info i get here on quakeone.
            I'm sure havin' fun!
            Last edited by phineas; 09-21-2016, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Thanks, Seven.

@phineas When you have a moment after Nehahra, make sure to play Something Wicked This Way Comes. The main map is easily as huge as an entire vanilla episode (there's something like 7 HUNDREDS of enemies in the map!) and the start map is the most jaw-dropping scenery I've ever seen in Quake. A breathtaking beauty!

Comment

@bfg666:
                I spent quite some time here:
                https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/

Also checked a lot of reviews of maps and mods done the last 2 decades.
                'Wicked' is already installed, waiting to be played, besides some others i found to be worth playing after having a quick look into the first part of maps:
                Installed under Darkplaces:
                Soul of Evil, Travail, Penumbra of Domination, The Cassandra Calamity, Terra, Operation Urth Majik, Nehahra

Installed under Quakespasm (plain):
                Arcane Dimensions, Marcher Fortress, Ivory Tower, Rubicon 2, Roman Wilderness of Pain, Insomnia, Map Jam 6, Honey, Rubicon Rumble Pack

Quakespasm Quoth:
                Fort Ratsack, Metal Monstrosity, Plumbers don't wear Ties, Subterranean Library

Quakespasm Drake:
                Something wicked this way comes

Comment

Good selection. Penumbra has aged a bit visually, so you might want to start with this one after Nehahra, before moving on to prettier stuff. There's a sort of sequel to Soul of Evil called Indian Summer (or NSOE). Quaddicted has two versions: the original and an updated one, NSOE2. Of course, pick the latter. I would also add The Horde of Zendar, Beyond Belief, The Myths, Zerstörer, Castle of Koohoo and if you like a more brutal challenge, Warpspasm. Also check the IKSPQ series. Note that Sock is preparing updated versions of Zendar and Metmon for the upcoming Arcane Dimensions v1.5, so you might want to wait for its release.

Most if not all of the mods/maps you installed in QuakeSpasm, including Quoth and AD, should run fine in DP, you know... If they don't because of replacement content you installed, you can make a second parallel, cleaner DP install (use the 20140430 build, as it is the latest stable version). It would allow you to benefit from all the HD stuff that Talisa, Blood Vengeance and Icaro are making for these. QS supports hi-res textures and colored lights, but neither RTlights nor the many visual effects that DP can handle.

Have fun quaking!

Comment

I total worship Warpspasm, my favourite Quake Episode
                    Make Quake Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
                      This is a small Darkplaces mod that adds/replaces some features/effects to Nehahra.
                      It changes all the default particles as well as adding particle fire (torches & candles & lanterns (only not swinging ones)).

DOWNLOAD
                      Can someone please re-upload?

Comment

Hello,

This link should work: click me

Have a great time with Nehahra !

Here is a list of some other extensions/improvements I made to popular episodes/maps/mods:
                        Code:
                        - [URL="https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/quoth.html"]Quoth	[/URL]			Quoth Ver.2.1   Pack  with  particle effects from SMC.rar
                        - [URL="https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/rapture.html"]Rapture	[/URL]		Rapture_Improved_20161105_Seven.rar
                        - [URL="https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/bbelief.html"]Beoynd Belief[/URL]			bbelief   extended and fixes  !!! 20140621.zip
                        - [URL="https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/aopfm_v2.html"]Abyss of Pandemonium[/URL]	        AOP - The Final Mission v2.0  extended_20160330.rar
                        - [URL="https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/nehahra.html"]Nehahra[/URL]			Nehahra_extended_for_Darkplaces_20160527.rar
                        - [URL="https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/nsoe2.html"]Soul of Evil: Indian Summer[/URL]	nsoe_devkit_with_particle_flames_+_fixed_book_reading.rar
                        - [URL="https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/zer.html"]Zerstörer[/URL]			Zerstoerer 1.1 + zer1m3_fix + SMC particles v1.2.rar
                        - [COLOR="Yellow"]Drake[/COLOR]				Drake_with_particle_flames_+_candles.pk3
                        - [URL="https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/travail.html"]Travail[/URL]			Travail_Extended_20160904_Seven.rar
                        - [URL="https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/digs01.html"]Digs01 9-maps Episode[/URL]	        digs01  full Episode  9 maps  with flames + impulse 12  + nails fixed.rar
                        - [COLOR="Yellow"]Hipnotic[/COLOR]			SMC - Hipnotic v5.02
                        - [COLOR="Yellow"]Rogue[/COLOR]				SMC - Rogue v5.02

I added the file name of the newest versions behind it, so you can better search for them. They are all available in this forum. Please use the forums search-function. If you have troubles finding them, I can reupload them.

Click on the episodes/maps/mods name to reach the quaddicted download page.

Kind regards,
                        Seven

Comment

Searching in the forums for some of these only pulls up the "Travail" thread where you made the same post saying these are located elsewhere in the forums. I did find a few of them.

A Google search isn't finding your Quoth file, nor searching for any post by you with the word "Quoth".

SOE was on Rapidshare which appears to be down.

The Zerstorer file has expired. I requested a re-upload here: http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...tml#post172638

I'm not finding your Digs01 file either with a forum or Google search. And it isn't in BV's Digs01 Reforged thread:

http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...-reforged.html

It looks like a few of your files have been archived here:

Quaketastic

Comment

Hi all,

New spawn here, sorry for bumping an old thread but the nature of my question makes a new topic redundant.
                            I have Nehahra working with DarkPlaces so it looks better than ever of course.
                            EDIT: and for clarity, know that I am using the "small Darkplaces mod that adds/replaces some features/effects to Nehahra" by Seven.

The thing is, I would like to experience Nehahra as close as possible to how it was originally envisioned - and that, importantly, includes playing with the mod's music: there are 11 tracker modules that come with Nehahra and it is obvious from quickly sampling them that they provide a very distinct ambience from stock Quake NIN tracks. But by default with DarkPlaces, Nehahra plays the original Quake soundtrack. Note that I have Scourge of Armagon and Dissolution of Eternity all playing their respective soundtrack too. I also noticed that many don't realise (or don't care) that they are playing Nehahra without the mod's music - Youtube videos I found always have the original Quake soundtrack playing instead.

My guess is DarkPlaces cannot play the tracker modules. Is the solution to simply convert the Nehahra tracks to MP3 format?
                            Thanks for any help!

EDIT: just changed the name of the folder containing the Nehahra tracks to "music" (it was called "mods" originally), and it didn't change anything.
                            Last edited by Sat42; 09-08-2020, 05:11 AM.

Comment

Hello Sat42,

First of all, please read this post.

If its not working for you:
                              Depending from where you downloaded Nehahra you will find the original engines inside your pack.
                              Mostly you will find nehahra.exe or DPNehahra.exe.

Those engines should be used to play Nehahra as it was meant to be.

Have fun,
                              Seven

PS: If you do not hear original music in your mission pack 1 + 2, you are missing the digital music files in your subfolders:
                              QUAKE\HIPNOTIC\sound\cdtracks
                              QUAKE\rogue\sound\cdtracks
                              You can download them from the above mentioned link.

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
                                Hello Sat42,

[Awesome info]

PS: If you do not hear original music in your mission pack 1 + 2, you are missing the digital music files in your subfolders:
                                QUAKE\HIPNOTIC\sound\cdtracks
                                QUAKE\rogue\sound\cdtracks
                                You can download them from the above mentioned link.
                                Hi Seven,

Thank you very much for your reply!
                                And thanks also for the post scriptum - I am sorry if my text was confusing regarding this point (and I see it is), but indeed I do hear the original music in mission packs 1 + 2 but thanks anyway!

Regarding Nehahra - thanks to your link I got the soundtrack in OGG format already so that's cool too. Funny thing is I DID originally use the nehahra.exe which I got from quaddicted.com (and still can, though for some reason after installing darkplaces and your little darkplaces mod for Nehahra, when I launch nehahra.exe I now have no mouse look) but after getting to Grind Core I decided to stop because I realised I hadn't heard a single track (except for that short loop in the difficulty select level and I know that is just a sound, not a music file). And I really should have heard the tracks since as you mentioned in the post you linked:
                                "Neh1m1.bsp uses: neh4
                                Neh1m2.bsp uses: neh8
                                Neh1m3.bsp uses: neh3
                                ..."
                                DPNehahra.exe is funny - you can't see anything except for the character and item models!
                                Anyway, I feel I should just try and make do with the soundtrack in OGG format and follow the instructions to play them in their respective levels. It won't be perfectly authentic the way a modtracker player would allow but it beats not hearing Nehahra's soundtrack at all!

Thanks again for the help!

Comment

Working...
                                X