No announcement yet.

Nehahra w/ DarkPlaces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for double posting - I am using Notepad++ to look at the .bsp map files and despite using all kinds of reasonable keywords in the search function I cannot for the life of me understand how you identify which track is played in which map.
    @ Seven: So far I followed what you said about the first 3 maps (just had to modify Neh1m3's worldspawn block so it will play neh3 instead of neh8 like the previous map) and now that works in-game with darkplaces, but looking into the detail I cannot find the triggers associated to choosing a mod track - there is no "music", "play2" or "track" command and the very names of the tracks like "neh3" don't turn up either... I'm probably missing something obvious, can you please illuminate me?

Comment

Hello Sat42,

You have to understand how music is played in Nehahra and in vanilla Quake.
      When a music track is triggered in the worldspawn block, it means, it is played from the very beginning you start a map.
      And it will be looped endlessly.

Not so in Nehahra...
      Nehahra uses custom (qc)code to start, stop, repeat music tracks.
      Like in a movie... That is the only way to create excitement/tension (or how you call it in english) when playing a map.
      YouŽd have to look for these function calls as well.

But to make it short and easy for you:
      You can use this command to play any music track you want from within the map itself:
      cd loop sound/cdtracks/blahblah.wav
      By typing this command, you can start playing any music file/format from within the given subfolder.
      Just type/use the correct folder and file name.

I will not dig into Nehahra code again, you can do it if you want.
      Or you can simply play custom music files by using the above command.

For more options, simply type: apropos cd into console and you will find all CD (musicbox) possibilities of Darkplaces listed.

Again, if you want to play Nehahra as it was meant to be, you will have to use the original engine from that time, I am afraid.
      And dont be suprised to have no music at the beginning of a map. It may/will start and stop during playing the map to add atmosphere.
      If you encounter issues (like having no mouse view, as you mentioned), you can move the complete Nehahra folder out of your Quake.
      You know that you can multiple Quake "installations" beside each other. Because Queke doesnt need windows registry entries.
      So, just use/copy vanilla ID1 and nehahra folder together with your Darkplaces files somewhere else and you are independent to other Quake mods in your id1.

Happy tinkering

Best wishes,
      Seven

Comment

Hey Seven! Thank you again for the detailed reply

You make some good sense and I believe I will now follow the route you suggest of an install for Nehahra that will be independent from the main Quake installation. And yeah, I think I will try get the original experience that way. I honestly love that they actually bothered to introduce a "dynamic" music system! Reminds me of Unreal...

Again thanks for the explanations and suggestions, I will be off tinkering some more until I get to enjoy this mod in all its glory

Cheers,
        Sat42

EDIT: got it all working as intended! I checked if the music works (using Nehahra's tracker module files) and it does! An easy way to check (since indeed not all maps start playing music from the beginning) is to open neh2m6 - if you hear atmos2 playing (you can verify it's the same by playing the file outside the game), then congratulations you got the music to function as intended! Finally I can get going with my playthrough
        Last edited by Sat42; 09-09-2020, 05:22 PM.

Comment

I think you certainly should use Bengt's glquake.exe for Nehahra. Actually it is Nehahra 3.08 engine. The best. My version of NehQuake 3.08 no longer uses fmod, it's hard to find it (it's so old (2001)!) My version uses modern libxmp and sdl instead, to decode & play the xm music where it should be played, and quality is much better, 44100 Hz.

Comment

The next best thing that can run Nehahra is Mark V. At least it's not an ancient engine.

I will never understand why Nehahra code had to deviate so much from regular QuakeC. I see nothing in this mod that wouldn't be possible with regular code.
            Authentic Models Pack
            OriOn's ID1 Model Fixes for MP1+2
            LIT/VIS files for Quake addons

Comment

Hi Seven,
              can you link or reupload those packs you mentioned. Im interested in soe, quoth, abyss of pandemonium and travail

Originally posted by Seven View Post

Here is a list of some other extensions/improvements I made to popular episodes/maps/mods:
              Code:
              - [URL="https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/quoth.html"]Quoth [/URL] Quoth Ver.2.1 Pack with particle effects from SMC.rar
              - [URL="https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/rapture.html"]Rapture [/URL] Rapture_Improved_20161105_Seven.rar
              - [URL="https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/bbelief.html"]Beoynd Belief[/URL] bbelief extended and fixes !!! 20140621.zip
              - [URL="https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/aopfm_v2.html"]Abyss of Pandemonium[/URL] AOP - The Final Mission v2.0 extended_20160330.rar
              - [URL="https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/nehahra.html"]Nehahra[/URL] Nehahra_extended_for_Darkplaces_20160527.rar
              - [URL="https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/nsoe2.html"]Soul of Evil: Indian Summer[/URL] nsoe_devkit_with_particle_flames_+_fixed_book_reading.rar
              - [URL="https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/zer.html"]Zerstörer[/URL] Zerstoerer 1.1 + zer1m3_fix + SMC particles v1.2.rar
              - [COLOR=Yellow]Drake[/COLOR] Drake_with_particle_flames_+_candles.pk3
              - [URL="https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/travail.html"]Travail[/URL] Travail_Extended_20160904_Seven.rar
              - [URL="https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/digs01.html"]Digs01 9-maps Episode[/URL] digs01 full Episode 9 maps with flames + impulse 12 + nails fixed.rar
              - [COLOR=Yellow]Hipnotic[/COLOR] SMC - Hipnotic v5.02
              - [COLOR=Yellow]Rogue[/COLOR] SMC - Rogue v5.02

I added the file name of the newest versions behind it, so you can better search for them. They are all available in this forum. Please use the forums search-function. If you have troubles finding them, I can reupload them.

Click on the episodes/maps/mods name to reach the quaddicted download page.

Kind regards,
              Seven

Comment

Found travail, Aop and drake
                Missing quoth, soe and Zerstörer, bbelief, digs01 and rapture

Comment

webangel browsed through my collection of quake files, and i miiight have most of them, i think?
                  https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...-j?usp=sharing

hope those include some of the files you were looking for
                  Last edited by talisa; 03-06-2021, 04:55 PM.
                  are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                  > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                  everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Looks good so far talisa.
                    downloading it a bit later.
                    Thank you!

Comment

Hello talisa,

Good to know we have a secret collector among us
                      Thank you for reuploading the files.

Hello webangel,

I added the missing ones and there is also a newer version available for zerstorer:
                      Rapture_Improved_20161105
                      Digs01 9-maps Episode Improved
                      Zerstoerer 1.1 + zer1m3_fix + SMC particles v1.2

I especially want to highlight Rapture. A lot of effort have been put into this mod to fix and improve it.
                      As always please read the included readme and also check for screenshots if available.

Maybe talisa can also update her link so we can have more mirrors for the future.
                      If some lost soul will ever visit this page again

Have a nice sunday everybody,
                      Seven

Comment

Nice

Thank you both.

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
                          Good to know we have a secret collector among us
                          Seven
                          oh yeah ive been collection any files i can get my hands on for years purely for the sake of preserving all the great works people have made

you name anything that you might want, and i'll probably have a copy of the files available that i can upload

well... with the exception being maps that is.. im not gunna download the entirety of quaddicted

especially once i created that 'definitive HD collection' thread back then, as i wanted to be able to have updated links in my thread that will always work,
                          so i downloaded every single file i linked in that thread to be able to re-upload them in case any download-links would expire

also, totally downloading those files you uploaded that i didnt have yet for preservation's sake too

webangel
                          you're welcome ^_^
                          Last edited by talisa; 03-08-2021, 10:27 AM.
                          are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                          > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                          everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

I have a good collection too, though probably not as thorough as Talisa's.

Comment

Working...
                            X