• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi,Spike,i have a question)
    Is there a way to make a portals in FTE
    like this

Comment

• it should be possible for q3 gamecode to set up portals, but not with further recursion.
      other gamecode lacks the ability to change the portal's target.
      it would be nice to add proper support for that sort of thing though. would need to mess with physics+collisions, as well as using an fbo instead so things can appear to recurse without destroying framerates.
      consistent physics without suddenly teleporting is the more daunting thing. as well as making an entire mod just so something can happen.
      Some Game Thing

Comment

• thanx spike and seven,
        managed to get the quartz-flask i made to show up correctly in fteQW using a shader

posted about it in the heXen II thread

also its also neat that fteQW supports PK3s too like DP
        are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
        > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
        everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• This seems to be a really cool engine actually and I proposed to port Xonotic to it: Porting to FTEqw engine?

But is there any site that actually has an up to date list of features etc.? The main webpage and the wiki are terribly out of date it seems.

Edit: Ahh well, seems like FTEQW isn't compatible to the gmqcc ( https://github.com/graphitemaster/gmqcc/ ) compiler Xonotic is using. Would be great if that could be fixed.
          Last edited by Julius; 12-20-2013, 12:21 PM.

Comment

• I wrote an Introduction to the FTE engine aimed at indie game devs and modders.
            Scout's Journey
            Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

• nice work gb.
              Thank You!

Comment

• Originally posted by Julius View Post
                This seems to be a really cool engine actually and I proposed to port Xonotic to it: Porting to FTEqw engine?

Edit: Ahh well, seems like FTEQW isn't compatible to the gmqcc ( https://github.com/graphitemaster/gmqcc/ ) compiler Xonotic is using. Would be great if that could be fixed.
                Nexuiz/Xonotic previously used FTEQCC as their compiler and early versions of Nexuiz were playable in FTE. Therefore development moved away from FTE compatability, not the other way around.

A near useless distinction at this point I'm sure.
                Gnounc's Project Graveyard Gnounc's git repo

Comment

• Also GB's post is a very good summation of what FTE is capable of, for anyone wanting to use it in a project.
                  Gnounc's Project Graveyard Gnounc's git repo

Comment

• nice work GB. quake only lives on when people who are in the know take the time and effort to document the knowledge!

Comment

• spike, does fteQW support something like darkplaces' cubemaps?

i made some replacement model for hexen which is gold,
                      and it would be neat if the gold parts could have a reflection
                      are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                      everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• talisa, short answer: no

long answer: yes
                        to load a cubemap instead of a regular 2d image, you can prefix the name given in the map directive with '$cube:', which will cause the engine to load+render a cubemap instead of a simple 2d texture.
                        in theory, 'texgen reflect' is parsed as part of doom3 compat, but its not actually implemented by the backend. this means that the only way you can get your cubemap to display properly is to provide some custom glsl also. luckily this can be embedded directly into your shader if you desire.

so while it can be done without any engine changes, its more steps than you'd desire, hence the short answer.
                        I need to make some proper glsl shader samples some time, as well as to flesh out features so you don't need to refer to them constantly.
                        Some Game Thing

Comment

• hmm ok.... and what about the simple 2d image?
                          would be better then nothing to be able to make the item seem to be glossy through that

how would i go into work making it show a 2d image as fake reflection?

or is there be another alternative way which looks nicer to create some effect which might help make gold look like gold and give the idea of some kinda reflection or such?

Comment

• tcGen environment
                            combined with a suitable 2d image should give some reflective metal type result.
                            Some Game Thing

Comment

• Different materials have different specular highlight colours; some have a white highlight, but metals will often have a coloured one. So the fast thing to do is to have a golden specular map instead of a grey one. The Polycount wiki has some good links about specular maps.

SpecularColorMap - Polycount Wiki

IMHO the specular highlight is more important than reflections for gold. For chrome, sure, I would also want a reflection.
                              Scout's Journey
                              Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

• specular-map is the same as what is called 'gloss-maps' in DP if i understand correctly?

and if yes, will these also function when RTlights in FTEQW are disabled?
                                cuz inkub0 only made RTlights for hexen2 for the first 3maps,
                                all others maps dont have RTlights and thus will be played without cuz you'll have horrible performance if you enable RTlights in them.

i used cubemaps instead of glossmaps in DP for the items i made cuz the maps for the mod they are for also dont have any RTlights.
                                DP doesnt show any gloss-maps on items when RT-world is disabled, but DP does still show cubemaps when RT-world is disabled

Comment

Working...
                                X