FTE QW engine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
    You can check the Quake 2 version number in most engines by opening the console.
    Thank you for telling me this I will install the 3.20 version first... because i know that i have some older version100%... i think
    Last edited by Sza; 09-28-2013, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
      regarding the particle system, one (general) significant difference between fte and dp is that fte allows per-shader glsl code, including embedding shaders and thus glsl within particle effects.
      The 'high' particleset contains a teleport effect which warps the screen around it, via glsl.
      Check out high.cfg's te_teleport

Like I say, FTE can support refraction when given the proper shader.
      This is a quickish example for eg *water1 (on eg dm3).
      Shove this in some .shader file, enable r_novis (or use a water-vised map) and you'll have a somewhat cheesy refraction effect for that particular water texture.
      Code:
      *water1
      {
      	glslprogram
      	{
      !!cvarf r_wateralpha
      varying vec2 tc;
      varying vec4 tf;
      varying vec3 norm;
      varying vec3 eye;
      #ifdef VERTEX_SHADER
      attribute vec2 v_texcoord;
      attribute vec3 v_normal;
      uniform vec3 e_eyepos;
      void main (void)
      {
      	tc = v_texcoord.st;
      	tf = ftetransform();
      	norm = v_normal;
      	eye = e_eyepos - v_position;
      	gl_Position = tf;
      }
      #endif
      #ifdef FRAGMENT_SHADER
      uniform sampler2D s_t0;	//refract
      uniform sampler2D s_t1;	//normalmap
      uniform sampler2D s_t2;	//diffuse
      uniform float e_time;
      uniform float cvar_r_wateralpha;
      void main (void)
      {
      	vec2 stc, ntc;
      	vec3 n, refr, refl;
      	float fres;
      	stc = (1.0 + (tf.xy / tf.w)) * 0.5;

//apply q1-style warp, just for kicks
      	ntc.s = tc.s + sin(tc.t+e_time)*0.125;
      	ntc.t = tc.t + sin(tc.s+e_time)*0.125;

//generate the two waveforms
      	n = (texture2D(s_t1, 0.2*tc + vec2(e_time*0.1, 0)).xyz);
      	n += (texture2D(s_t1, 0.2*tc - vec2(0, e_time*0.097)).xyz);
      	n -= 1.0 - 4.0/256.0; //rebalance to avoid 8bit precision issues
      	n = normalize(n);

refr = texture2D(s_t0, stc + n.st*0.2).rgb;
      	refl = texture2D(s_t2, ntc).rgb; //actually this is just the regular warped texture

//fresnel term please!
      	fres = abs(dot(norm, normalize(eye)));
      	fres *= 1.0-(cvar_r_wateralpha * 0.5); //I've used an extra multiplier to ensure its visible.

gl_FragColor = vec4(refr * fres + refl*(1-fres), 1.0);
      }
      #endif
      	}
      	{
      		map $currentrender
      	}
      	{
      		map water1_norm.tga
      	}
      	{
      		map water1.tga
      	}
      }
      Note that its not too fundamentally different from the te_teleport effect I mentioned earlier.
      It does lack reflections however. Shouldn't be too hard to render that to an FBO (basically using the existing mirror/portal code). So consider that already done.

Regarding DP's glsl, theoretically yes, you could copy+paste the relevent bits out of dp's main.glsl file in to whatever shader you're trying to create. A few things worth mentioning: DP uses the one-shader-to-rule-them-all method which contains a whole huge mega big chunk of ohmygodlookatallthat code, which makes it quite hard to actually figure out which parts are useful, either way its not a direct copy+paste. Also both engines use different names for the various inputs (the uniforms/attributes). Its probably better to copy the maths/logic rather than the whole text.
      How do I get FTEQW to run? it crashes before it begins EVERYTIME!!! are there files I dont have? if so can you give me a link to them I got the client which is just an exe and a couple of other files and put them in main folder of quake but no luck nor with hexen 2 either. Please help me?
      Give a man a fish, he eats for a night. Teach a man how to fish, he eats for a lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by hoover1979 View Post
        How do I get FTEQW to run? it crashes before it begins EVERYTIME!!! are there files I dont have? if so can you give me a link to them I got the client which is just an exe and a couple of other files and put them in main folder of quake but no luck nor with hexen 2 either. Please help me?
        It is a good idea to post the exact error message. If there is no error message, start FTE from a DOS prompt if your OS has something like that. You might get a better error message then.

Do you have the latest binary from this site:

FTEQW - Experimental

BTW - you can forget about "stable" versions of FTE, I doubt that will happen anytime soon. Experimental is the current branch.

The executable should be the only thing you need to start the game.

Edit: It will also help if you state your OS/platform, such as "Windows Vista 64 bit" or "Linux 32 bit".
        Last edited by golden_boy; 09-29-2013, 08:00 AM.
        Scout's Journey
        Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

I downloaded it here FTE QuakeWorld | Free Games software downloads at SourceForge.net

Comment

That is the latest stable version (1.00). It is very old (but it still shouldn't crash I guess.) Try the link I posted above ("SVN Trunk" version) for a current build.
            Scout's Journey
            Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

thx!

Comment

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
                It is a good idea to post the exact error message. If there is no error message, start FTE from a DOS prompt if your OS has something like that. You might get a better error message then.

Do you have the latest binary from this site:

FTEQW - Experimental

BTW - you can forget about "stable" versions of FTE, I doubt that will happen anytime soon. Experimental is the current branch.

The executable should be the only thing you need to start the game.

Edit: It will also help if you state your OS/platform, such as "Windows Vista 64 bit" or "Linux 32 bit".
                the error message is the standard win7 this program has stopped working and will be shut down message.
                Give a man a fish, he eats for a night. Teach a man how to fish, he eats for a lifetime.

Comment

I am using win7 x64 a quad core i5 3.3GHz 2x 1Gb Geforce GTX550ti (SLI) and 16Gb of ram. I tried the latest exe and insta-crash too. I guess my windows just HATES FTEQW? the error is a windows error.

Comment

I had the issue of fteqw crashing right at start too, solution was to start with a fresh Quake folder with only id1 (and qw) in it. Looks like it reads the configs other engines have generated and gets confused by those. So now I have a seperate fte installation and everything seems to work fine.

Comment

Originally posted by leopold View Post
                      I had the issue of fteqw crashing right at start too, solution was to start with a fresh Quake folder with only id1 (and qw) in it. Looks like it reads the configs other engines have generated and gets confused by those. So now I have a seperate fte installation and everything seems to work fine.
                      I tried that and STILL insta-crash I guess this engine WILL NEVER work on my pc

Comment

we need error messages or logs people.
                        Scout's Journey
                        Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

By the way, it recently occurred to me that you can download the magical piece of software called csaddon.dat (which contains the terrain and rtlights editors) from this place:

Index of /moodles

You should also be able to always find the latest FTE binaries for all supported systems on there, so if you're interested in FTE at all, you might wanna bookmark that.

There are now debug builds for a variety of platforms, which should output more helpful crash messages than the "release" builds. I'd almost suggest that you should _always_ run a debug build with FTE; it's what I do.

On a related note, here's a webGL port of FTE; this means Quake in your browser. Might wanna try it sometime!

FTE QuakeWorld

A little while after the "Join a Server" menu appears, you should get a popup where you can choose a graphics preset. After that, you can start a singleplayer game (shareware.)

You can get to the console in FTE at all times by pressing Shift + Esc.
                          Scout's Journey
                          Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Spike makes a lot of stuff! One day you'll probably be able to build entire games for FTE, in FTE. I'd check it out, for sure.
                            http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
                              Spike makes a lot of stuff! One day you'll probably be able to build entire games for FTE, in FTE. I'd check it out, for sure.
                              Yeah, one day!

Ahem. Anyway,

Shadowmaps (realtime) on heightmap terrain. I bow towards Britain 5 times a day from now on.
                              Scout's Journey
                              Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

But that's all messed up, right? That shadow implies you are floating in space. Am I missing something?

Also:

Germans bowing to Brittain...lol. I know this isn't 194x but that's still historically nutty. Then again they kicked your butt, so...IDK

Not so funny thing though, I recently read something that explained how Churchill was a huuuge war criminal, and not very arguably, more of a demon than Hitler. The article basically posed the facts that Hitler wanted to fight Churchill on battlefields and Churchill just wanted to blow up a bunch of German civilians. There was some agreement or something at some point in the war, but Churchill didn't honor it.

I know Hitler also did these things throughout much of the war so he was probably getting what he deserved. However, how can Churchill be considered a "hero" when he just did the same shit Hitler did, just for a different reason and ultimate goal.

However Roosevelt wasn't much better... really, the 1940's saw a world being run compartmentally by a bunch of lunatics. Every leader had some interest in a huge war. They were also all involved with a central bank.
                                Last edited by MadGypsy; 11-10-2013, 07:03 PM.
                                http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Working...
                                X