FTE QW engine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
    But that's all messed up, right? That shadow implies you are floating in space. Am I missing something?
    Yeah, I was noclipping to get between the realtime light and the terrain. But it's not just the player model that will cast shadows.

What this feature eventually does is let realtime lights cast detailed shadows onto things that are not lightmapped, such as FTE's heightmap terrain. So there can for example be trees casting proper soft shadows etc, without ever needing the map compiler.

So an FTE map could basically consist of a couple square miles of terrain, and vegetation, and just a dynamic sunlight that makes all the models cast nice, soft dynamic shadows. And at the same time, there could be, say, an indoor bunker complex in the same map that uses mainly lightmaps for kickass performance.

It's the combination of all those things that is shaping up into a killer whole. It's like Crysis in a Quake engine.

The terrain is becoming a whale of a feature.
    Scout's Journey
    Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

It looks really good!

I mostly keep up with spawnhost, it comes to my email as a digest. I remember some terrain stuff you posted. That reminds me, I want to do the same digest thing for ROEM. [goes to do that]
      http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

A number of questions about fteqw...

Hello. I've got a couple of questions. First, how can I disable fullbright pixels on textures in fteqw? Because i don't like when it looks like this:

Second, the slime surfaces seem to be completely broken in recent experimental versions. This is how it looks now no matter what waterstyle is chosen:

Can it be fixed somehow?

Third, is quake 2 single player officially supported at the moment? I'm totally unable to launch q2 with experimental versions, and "stable" version is next to unplayable as well.

And, by the way, does it make sense to leave some bug reports/feedback in this thread or somwhere else? Or is it too work-in-progress stage of development and nothing should be consistent at the moment?

Comment

the first one is a content bug. if you're in contact with the map author, you should bop his head till he fixes it.
          in the mean time, you can disable fullbrights on all bsp models with the 'r_fb_bmodels 0' cvar setting. will need a vid_restart to flush the textures+shaders.

second one appeared recentlyish.. seems to be a mixup between lava and slime. r_lavastyle "" should fix it, or setting r_slimestyle to 1 or so. I'll fix the code and update it.

I've not tried Q2 for a while, so I've no idea what might be broken with it.
          the Q2 stuff doesn't really get the testing it needs, doubly so with third-party gamecode.
          I'll be sure to try it out some time todayish.

here, inside3d, on irc, or some other IM, anywhere that I visit works really. there was a bug tracker at one point, but it didn't get enough attention (/dev/null almost). By the time I noticed there were bug reports there, the guy that was interested in getting it fixed would have long forgotten about it. Disabling it at least means that people that care will actually slap me in to action instead of wondering why I'm ignoring their plight.
          Like your complaint about the slime getting me to finally look in the right place and spot a bug.

edit: q2 mostly works for me. its not bug free, but its playable. does gl_load24bit 0 help solve any issues with it? If its actually crashing, try running a debug build - debug builds generate stack traces when they crash.
          Last edited by Spike; 11-29-2013, 11:21 AM.
          Some Game Thing

Comment

Thanks a lot for reply, Spike!

if you're in contact with the map author, you should bop his head till he fixes it.
            There are too many maps with fullbright issues (including lots of classics like warpspasm or Kona's alk series) to be bothered to report all of them, sadly. Maybe it would make sense to introduce an option in the graphic settings menu to turn fullbrights on and off, like in directq?

here, inside3d, on irc, or some other IM, anywhere that I visit works really.
            OK, i'll post some observations then, just in case :p Hope it will be somewhat useful.

1)With RT lighting enabled, some light sources behave strange, flickering as you're moving around them (i'm using incub's rtlights here):

2) Another RT lighting oddity, the hidden passage on e2m1 (incub's rtlights again):

http://i.imgur.com/pD2QUYL.jpg

3) Switching between RT and Standart lighting while clearing a level seems to cause a crash in most cases, but sometimes it doesn't, for some reason. Looks like I'm able to switch consistently from the main menu and on id Start map, on e1m1 it would cause a crash most likely:

Имя события проблемы: APPCRASH
            Имя приложения: fteqw.exe
            Версия приложения: 1.3.0.0
            Отметка времени приложения: 5296a159
            Имя модуля с ошибкой: StackHash_0a9e
            Версия модуля с ошибкой: 0.0.0.0
            Отметка времени модуля с ошибкой: 00000000
            Код исключения: c0000005
            Смещение исключения: 00000000
            Версия ОС: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
            Код языка: 1049
            Дополнительные сведения 1: 0a9e
            Дополнительные сведения 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
            Дополнительные сведения 3: 0a9e
            Дополнительные сведения 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
            I also had successfully switched the lighting mode on e2m1, but loading a save after that caused either a crash or a completely black screen except hud...

4) Seems like loading a save from the main menu (without launching any map first) always leads to a crash for me:

Имя события проблемы: APPCRASH
            Имя приложения: fteqw.exe
            Отметка времени приложения: 5296a159
            Имя модуля с ошибкой: fteqw.exe
            Версия модуля с ошибкой: 1.3.0.0
            Отметка времени модуля с ошибкой: 5296a159
            Код исключения: c0000005
            Смещение исключения: 00310069
            Дополнительные сведения 1: 0a9e
            Дополнительные сведения 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
            Дополнительные сведения 3: 0a9e
            Дополнительные сведения 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
            5) When you start a new game from the menu WHILE clearing a level, your health and gear won't reset to defaults:

6) When I use x64 version of exe file, taking a screenshot leads to a crash (BEX64 error):

Имя события проблемы: BEX64
            Имя приложения: fteqw64.exe
            Отметка времени приложения: 5296a1f3
            Имя модуля с ошибкой: msvcrt.dll
            Версия модуля с ошибкой: 7.0.7601.17744
            Отметка времени модуля с ошибкой: 4eeb033f
            Смещение исключения: 0000000000045ffb
            Код исключения: c0000409
            Данные исключения: 0000000000000000
            Дополнительные сведения 1: 720a
            Дополнительные сведения 2: 720ac5f90eed51bf7f9701021dc2155b
            Дополнительные сведения 3: 00d1
            Дополнительные сведения 4: 00d1788d79427d694fd1776f2bca42b8
            I'm using a Windows x64 system with AMD quad-core cpu and NVidia graphics (driver version is 331.65).

Thanks for such an awesome job on this engine, Spike! Hope more people will appreciate it!

Comment

I must add this engine is probably the best at the moment to play the map Something Wicked This Way Comes

https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/s...ng_wicked.html

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jeah5DAIYf8&list=PLB827907AD18E9966&index= 13]Something Wicked This Way Comes - Quake Single Player [Part 1] - YouTube[/ame]

This map is BSP2, so you have 3 options: FTEQW, Darkplaces or RMQ.
              The advantage of FTEQW over Darkplaces is significantly improved fps (100 vs 60 at certain points). RMQ engine has roughly the same performance (maybe just slightly lower). It produces some oddities though like non-playing sounds of doors/elevators, incorrect hud for one modded weapon, let alone the fact its development has stopped and the final build contains severe bugs.

Also i've played through initial maps of Nehahra with FTEQW. I don't know whether Nehahra is officially supported but things look pretty good for now.

Thanks for fixing the slime bug, Spike! I'm sorry I can't compile anything from the source right now, I'd appreciate a link to debug version though, if you bother to post it with other compiled binaries.

Comment

win32 debug binary: http://triptohell.info/moodles/win32/debug/fteglqw.exe
                win64 debug binary: http://triptohell.info/moodles/win64.../fteglqw64.exe
                4+5 are fixed on the svn. not going to build a new version yet as issue 3 will need a stack trace, and running the various build scripts will likely likely interfere with that. :s

fte does not fully support nehahra, if only because the movies+demo format isn't supported. I think the actual game should work properly with one exception: the server replaces 'te_explosionrgb' with 'te_explosion', as the rgb version is not supported by the network protocol that fte internally uses.
                its been a long time since I tried it though.
                Some Game Thing

Comment

RMQ engine has roughly the same performance (maybe just slightly lower). It produces some oddities though like non-playing sounds of doors/elevators, incorrect hud for one modded weapon, let alone the fact its development has stopped and the final build contains severe bugs.
                  Just as a quick notice, Rune of Earth Magic uses RMQe and there's a good chance it'll be fixed up as part of that project. You can help by reporting bugs to me via PM. I was originally involved with the engine in the RMQ project.
                  Scout's Journey
                  Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

@Spike

I've sent you PM with the report.

@golden_boy
                    You can help by reporting bugs to me via PM.
                    Thanks for the info! RMQ engine looks nice too, good thing it's not abandoned.

Comment

• random question to spike:
                      soon i will be doing a hi-poly remake of the crossbow from hexen2, since its used in a quake-mod i love and which im remaking all items from.
                      http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...tml#post141445

i saw on the official site that fteqw also supports md3.
                      it works the same like in darkplaces with using md3 as replacement models?
                      as in: place the md3 in 'models' folder and manually rename the extension to mdl and fteqw will use it then as replacement for the original mdl?

and does fteqw also support multiple models saved into a single md3 like DP does?
                      so that you can have different parts use different textures
                      are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                      > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                      everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• fte can run quake 3. it supports every feature of the md3 format.
                        r_replacemodels gives a list of extensions to try to use instead of the regular extension specified by the qc. it can be useful for loading different content via presets. other than that, fte is like every other quake engine in that it really doesn't care what format is in the file so long as it knows the full filename that it is meant to be loading.
                        if your replacements really are just replacements, you might want to use the extension .md3 just so that they don't get used if the user picks the 'fast' preset. if you want to force all presets to use your replacement models, or you want to avoid hacks, rename your model to whatever extension the qc specifies.

you could even just use iqm, which is a good choice if you have a lot of animations, or want proper control over various individual parts from qc without the disjointed issues that quake3's player models exhibit.
                        Some Game Thing

Comment

• thanx for the info spike!
                          also thanx for the quick reply, like usual

ill have to have a look into the iqm format some time.
                          might be usefull for enemies, which i hope to one day be able to make

and it might make for even nicer animations for the crossbow,
                          since i intend to use an armature for the animation

do any of the iqm exporter versions from the formats site also work with blender 2.64?
                          cuz thats the version of blender i use, and on site it says it only includes exporters for 2.49, 2.56-2.59, and 2.60-2.63
                          Last edited by talisa; 12-03-2013, 02:07 PM.
                          are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                          everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• hmm...fteqw doesnt seem to support transparent textures?

cuz i tried putting a quartz-flask model i made for a quake mod for darkplaces into fteqw,
                            which is the quartz-flask, but it shows up without transparency in fteqw

IN FTEQW:

SAME MODEL IN DARKPLACES:
                            Last edited by talisa; 12-05-2013, 08:54 AM.

Comment

• Talisa,

Your screenshots have a really huge resolution, which makes posting difficult.

Regarding your issue:
                              Spike described it here.
                              See the example screenshot there and his notes below that post.

Comment

• what seven said.
                                sadly quake3 support/compatibility does not mean 'identical to DarkPlaces'.
                                you might want to consider a tcmod on the liquidy part if you're going to make a shader anyway, if you've not already done so.
                                Some Game Thing

Comment

Working...
                                X