No announcement yet.

FTE QW engine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @madgypsy, supposedly nq demo recording isn't needed as in an ideal world the server would record an mvd from the game... but yeah, its not an ideal world and I was too lazy to deal with all the different types of nq protocol when recording (although really 15+666 are common enough that I should get off my arse).

regarding ssqc extensions, both engines have their own extensions, but pretty much all the ones that people are likely to use are supported by both engines in a sufficiently compatible way. The biggest compat issues are with default cvar settings, dp's crippled shader parser, and dp's alternative csqc spec interpretation. And of course engine bugs.
    But yeah, its also far far too tempting to just call it engine-specific behaviour and then blame the mod for things breaking, but that reasoning only really works if the mod was intended to work on both in the first place. That said, without engine-specific behaviour, there would be no improvements of one engine over the other.

@nahuel, since revision 5000, openal has been enabled by default. If its not being used then you need to go into the audio menu and select an oal-prefixed output device. If none are listed then you need to install openal somehow... I imagine that installing the quake4 demo would be one way.
    Some Game Thing

Comment

• As always, thank you Spike, and of course you too MG.
      Just to avoid any misunderstanding I know you weren't being a jerk (MG) and I wasn't being lazy even though it might have appeared that I may of been , I'm working on a remote site away from home at the moment and don't have access to to my "Quake" laptop. If I had then I would have of course given it a try myself. It was just my clumsy way of casually reaching out to the mighty Spike in case he had any tips or useful nuggets of info I could use when I give FTE a try on Friday. ...and I'm glad I did.

Thanks Again,

Monty
      Mr.Burns
      "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
      WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
      Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

• I am able to get the Shambler HD remake to work. but how do we get other HD models to work in fte-qw. I downloaded the FTEQW HD-compilation Talisa recommended and all other textures and models are replaced and look GREAT, but I'm not sure how to get HD monsters to work. I'm thinking reforged models.

Comment

• if you're going with the 'quake reforged' monster skins, then use the darkplaces textures but delete the scripts/reforged.shader file, because it includes things like 'only draw this if something else was already drawn at the exact same depth', which is almost never true, thus giving invisible monsters. Basically its defective, and would contribute nothing (for most monsters) even if it was correct, so just delete that file.
          Some Game Thing

Comment

• Originally posted by talisa View Post
            @judicator

yes yes, FTEQW definitely supports custom particle-effects just like darkplaces

check this special FTEQW HD-compilation out for example:
            https://qexpo2016.com/afterquake-updated/

it also includes custom particle-effects
            Wow lot of stuff there.
            By any chance do you know where I can find any documentation on how to install the particles?
            Thanks.

Edit:
            Nevermind.
            I found this thread on Quakeworld.ru by the author itself explaining how to use them, I simply took the particles from afterquake, put the file in the id1 directory and once in the game typed r_particlesdesc haze in the console, the same line can be added to the config file.

In afterquake there are the particles file haze.cfg and directories containing, as how I get it, individual particles effects (like: haze-blood.cfg, haze-customTF-airfist.cfg, etc). Basically I can add selectively only the particles I'm interested in, right?
            Last edited by Judicator; 09-06-2016, 04:06 AM.

Comment

• Hi Spike,

I´m Mac user and I´m running AfterQuake under WineHQ. It works fantastically!!
              But It does not connect to servers :-(

Any suggestions??

will you release a MacOS version?
              the following compile for macOS is not working properly: http://tuna.quake1.de/fteqw.zip

Thanks

Comment

• @judicator,
                effects are loaded in order, with later effects replacing earlier ones (which is made much more complex by namespaces and fallbacks...).
                so yes, its possible to mix+match, but the exact effects provided by each config can overlap which can make things awkward.
                the afterquake/qc menus should have an easy way to select lots of configs, but unfortunately it has no preview feature.

@icaro,
                which servers specifically? does it work when you add :26000 on the end? does it work if you ditch hostnames/dns and use direct ip addresses? is it just ipv4 or just ipv6? as a test, does the server browser show any servers or does it just show 0/0/0 for server counts (filtered, live, total)?
                any related error messages displayed? on fte's console or in wine's debug spam?
                you don't have it firewalled by default or anything?

regarding macs, I don't have a mac. I can't provide builds, nor can I test tuna's/other people's builds, and I'm not even sure which revision they're meant to be. I have no clue what 'not working properly' actually means in this case.
                which part of my sprawling monstrosity of a codebase (and which version of it) should I be scrutinising with a fine-toothed comb? :p
                Some Game Thing

Comment

• Originally posted by Spike View Post
                  @judicator,
                  effects are loaded in order, with later effects replacing earlier ones (which is made much more complex by namespaces and fallbacks...).
                  so yes, its possible to mix+match, but the exact effects provided by each config can overlap which can make things awkward.
                  the afterquake/qc menus should have an easy way to select lots of configs, but unfortunately it has no preview feature.
                  [CUT]
                  Thanks for your answer.
                  How can I add sky to FTEQW?
                  I placed the files Sky001.TGA and Sky004.TGA in \id1\Textures but doesn't work.
                  Just out of curiosity: is there going to be feature parity between OGL and D3D and Vulkan?

Comment

• most maps call them sky1 or sky4. I've no idea where you got the extra naughts from.
                    fte uses separate images, eg:
                    sky4_solid (for the base layer)
                    sky4_alpha (for the transparent part)

regarding renderers:
                    iirc vulkan still lacks qc render-to-texture, some post processing things, and a few other things that I don't remember right now. for the most part I do plan on feature parity, but it may require doing things a little differently if you want both gl+vk to be happy at the same time.
                    d3d9 doesn't really support anything more advanced than quake3. I've no plans to change this. part of this is because this aging api is annoying to work with. part of it is because I cba working with microsoft-only apis. part of it is because is people are only picking this api because of its framerates on their aging gpus or because other apis are broken on their drivers, and I don't want to change that.
                    d3d11 does try to be a little more adventurous. I might try fixing the rtlights some time in the future, maybe adding water refraction/reflection, but don't expect much more.
                    if someone else wanted to maintain the d3d renderers or provide a d3d12/metal renderer then feel free to provide patches or whatever, but I don't personally have much interest in them.
                    Some Game Thing

Comment

most maps call them sky1 or sky4. I've no idea where you got the extra naughts from.
                      fte uses separate images, eg:
                      sky4_solid (for the base layer)
                      sky4_alpha (for the transparent part)

regarding renderers:
                      iirc vulkan still lacks qc render-to-texture, some post processing things, and a few other things that I don't remember right now. for the most part I do plan on feature parity, but it may require doing things a little differently if you want both gl+vk to be happy at the same time.
                      d3d9 doesn't really support anything more advanced than quake3. I've no plans to change this. part of this is because this aging api is annoying to work with. part of it is because I cba working with microsoft-only apis. part of it is because is people are only picking this api because of its framerates on their aging gpus or because other apis are broken on their drivers, and I don't want to change that.
                      d3d11 does try to be a little more adventurous. I might try fixing the rtlights some time in the future, maybe adding water refraction/reflection, but don't expect much more.
                      if someone else wanted to maintain the d3d renderers or provide a d3d12/metal renderer then feel free to provide patches or whatever, but I don't personally have much interest in them.
                      Got it.

For the sky: if I rename the files sky4_solid (for the base layer)
                      sky4_alpha then it doesn't work.
                      If I rename the files sky1_solid (for the base layer)
                      sky4_alpha it looks like that:
                      Attached Files

Comment

• if you're going with the 'quake reforged' monster skins, then use the darkplaces textures but delete the scripts/reforged.shader file, because it includes things like 'only draw this if something else was already drawn at the exact same depth', which is almost never true, thus giving invisible monsters. Basically its defective, and would contribute nothing (for most monsters) even if it was correct, so just delete that file.

Thanks Spike!

Comment

• Spike, you need a website called "AskSpike.com". The page will be real simple. It will be one button that says "ask", when the user clicks it they get charged a couple bucks and upon payment they are given a text box to type their question in. They are given another textfield to type their email address in. All replies go directly to email.

I could build you this site. 2 buttons and 2 textfields with one button hooked up to a bank or paypal and the other button hooked up to phpmail which sends all questions directly to your inbox. You don't even need a database. To get the most profits possible ALL remaining page real-estate is dedicated to lots and lots of ads. Imagine an ask button in the middle of the page completely surrounded by every ad imaginable...who cares if it's ugly.

Shit, let's just make a whole site called AskPeople.com where anyone can sign up and the above mentioned page will be created for them. Ad bucks to the site, Ask bucks to the answerer.
                          Last edited by MadGypsy; 09-07-2016, 10:11 AM.
                          http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

• WHUUUUT?

I already own the "ax me a dumb question, yaget a dumb answer" jingle, now you gotta be all political and makes it "ASKME.COM"

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2NmbJ5iftM[/ame]

jk
                            Last edited by R00k; 09-07-2016, 11:54 PM.
                            www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

• Luckily there are such smart people like you guys aound here to address our questions.
                              Thanks guys.

Comment

fte can run quake 3.
                                Does this include mods? I.e. could a standalone Q3 mod be made to run with FTEQW instead of ioquake3?
                                How about mixing of features? Could you add some CSQC stuff (GUI etc.) on top of the Q3 base mod for example?

Comment

Working...
                                X