Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any guides around on setting up a server?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any guides around on setting up a server?

never made a server ever. i've run server threw clanservers for games like cs:s and stuff, but i'm assuming quake will probly be much harder to do. seeing as i want to run it off one of my older machines etc.

any guides out there?

i want to run a dm server with quake 3 remake maps (i seen a few remakes in the quakeone map pack and a few maps that look nice also heh)

anyone can point me in the right direction to either a guide to start my own server and maybe some more q3 remake maps or somethin

thx in adv.

The RQuake manual has a comprehensive server setup section around page 24. I wrote it with the intent of building the "How To Setup A Server" page (that we don't yet have here) from the information.

If you are looking for a great server host, the server host that quake.Phathookups.com uses is mindblowingly fast and cheap = $20 per month for 8 players.

Everyone gets 30 ping at Phathookups.

(I'm assuming you are in the US).

The instructions in the RQuake manual can also be used to setup a server on a home computer or LAN.

Best mods: RuneQuake, which can run in a vanilla Quake style practice mode (like quake.shmack.net:26002) or even do Rocket Arena (quake.shmack.net:26001).

CRMOD is also an excellent choice for DM, but most of us with experience with both CRMOD and RQ's Practice Mode think RQ's vanilla DM settings and vote commands are more user friendly.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Quake 3-like maps:

http://www.quakeone.com/maps/zQ3Maps.zip is a set of maps I felt were Quake 3 style from a year ago.

The QuakeOne maps page at http://www.quakeone.com/maps is probably the most comprehensive resource for maps on the 'net right now.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Working...
      X