This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guide: Setting Up A Public Server

2 Guides have been added to the Guides section and at long last the "How to setup a server" link now takes you to actual information.

Direct Links:

Guide: How to Have a Successful Public Server
    Guide: Server Setup Configuration

And the color schemes of the Guides section is a lot more reader friendly than the below excerpts. I'd recommend the Guides section rather than reading the below, but here is a preview.

Originally posted by Excerpt of How to Have a Successful Public Server
    How To Setup A Server - 2006

If you are looking to setup a LAN game, read this instead.

Before we start, let's consider the common motivations behind setting up a server. I will classify these into 2 categories:

1. To have one just for fun, for experience/learning, for private games or personal convenience.
    2. To have a successful public server.

Major differences between #1 and #2 is that if your intentions are more for experience/learning/private games/convenience -- and those can be very good reasons -- the next section might not all apply.

Scroll way far down to find out the actual things you must do to setup the server. The focus on server advise is vital information, but is long and lengthy.

Running a Successful Public Server

If you intent is to have a successful public server, you are looking at a much higher bar. A successful public server is not easily achieved in Quake, nor any other game.

The following if applied will increase your chances of having a successful server, but that is always difficult.

Public Server Success #1: You must have a DNS

You must have a DNS. This ain't the 1990s. Telling players to connect 54.45.113.206 does NOT cut it.

Players can't remember that and server browser usage in Quake is NOT common, especially among veteran players who already know the 5 or 6 servers they might play on by memory. Even worse than players not remembering a DNS, is the probability of players fouling it up.

Telling a player to connect to bomber.quakeone.com is easy (a DNS). Telling a player to connect to 72.29.12.34 is hard, and 19 times out of 20 they aren't going to remember the next time.

If you need help getting a DNS, ask!

Public Server Success #2: No Impulses

Some people hated Trinicom because it didn't have +hook built into the mod.

This isn't the 1990's. Players expect servers to use the standard binds that used on other servers. Many mods already have this built in. +hook is the most important, although if it is an mod that has a rune like ThreeWave CTF, it is important that rune-delete is supported.

Players do not like having to bind any keys for a specific server. If you have a great mod that doesn't have these aliases pre-set and have the QuakeC, post and someone would more than likely tell you how to add it into the source as it is very easy to do.

Public Server Success #3: No Home Jobs!

Again, if you are doing this for personal pleasure or some other reason, this doesn't apply. But for a public server, unless you have an very abnormal home connection, you don't have the fat pipes required for smoothness.

There are enough server choices out there that players aren't going to be interested in connecting to a laggy server.

Server Hosts/Prices:

#1 Fat Pipe Server: http://www.fatpipeserver.com/

$20/month, or less if prepaid for 6/12 mos for 10 players. Quake.PhatHookups.com uses them and that server is sweet!

#2 Essentrix.Net: http://www.essentrix.net

Essentrix is hands down the best bet in Quake experience. They have run countless Quake servers (20? 30? 40?) in the past. Costs about $4 per month per player last time I checked, minimum of 8 players = $32/mo.

Public Server Success #5: Be Different

All too often we've seen in the past a new server come out no different than any other server. If a player can connect to an established server with players or your empty server running the same thing, let me tell you it ain't gonna be yours!

You need to have an advantage or difference. It might be your server has better ping or nicer admin or more friendly players that hang around --- but usually those things aren't enough ... typically you need to have either better settings, better maps or a better mod.

Read More ... Guide #44

Originally posted by Server Setup Configuration
    Actual Setup

To setup a server, you need the following:

1. A host (FatPipeServers, Essentrix.Net, someone else)
    2. A mod (Rune Quake, xCTF, CAx, CRMOD, IHOC)
    3. A server executable (ProQuake Linux|Windows or squake-ihoc Linux)
    4. A compiler (probably FRIKQCC 2.5, not any other version)
    5. A command line

Actual Setup: #1 A Host

This was discussed earlier. Unless you have an extraordinary home connect or direct server access, you will likely need an FTP client and SSH.

FTP will allow you to place files on the server. SSH (secure TelNet) is often required to restart/shutdown the server, but some hosts have other methods available.

Two common choices:

1. FTP Clients: http://www.winplanet.com/category/2244-1-d.htm
    2. SSH: http://www.download.com/PuTTY/3000-1...ml?tag=lst-3-4

Actual Setup: #2 A Mod

This is your choice.

Actual Setup: #3 A Server Executable

For a public server, there are 2 and only 2 answers .. at least right now.

1. ProQuake (Windows|Linux downloads)
    2. SQuake-IHOC (Linux only, I think, ask for it at QuakeBoard.net)

SQuake-IHOC supports colors 14/15 and has built in optional chat spam, color change spam, name change spam functionality and otherwise is a lot of fun. Plus it has built-in IP masking! Rock solid and battle-tested for years.

ProQuake is the traditional choice. Rock solid and supports a cheat-free mode (which, unfortunately, only allows ProQuake clients to connect -- this is some chance this may change in the future).

A potential future option is DarkPlaces dedicated. Currently DarkPlaces dedicated does not permit connections from ordinary Quake clients and I don't believe QStat, QView or GameSpy can query it (I could be wrong about this). This may end up being the server engine of the future for the Quake community, but as of right now isn't an option.

Actual Setup: #4 A Compiler

The best compiler, which should be able to compile any mod from the QuakeC source code, is FrikQCC 2.5. This may change in the future, but presently many mods commonly used on Quake servers require this version of FrikQCC.

Place the compiler in the folder with the QuakeC source code and run it to generate a progs.dat in the parent directory.

Actual Setup: #5 A Command Line

In a LAN game, a command line might go like this:

c:/quake/wqpro.exe -game crmod –dedicated 16 –condebug –heapsize 32768 –zone 1024 +map dm6

In the above:

0.) wqpro.exe is the ProQuake dedicated engine, basically an improved WinQuake.
    1.) -game crmod is an example where c:\quake\crmod is where the progs.dat and other mod files reside.
    2.) -dedicated 16 is an example where the server is setup to allow 16 players to connect
    3.) -condebug generates a qconsole.log text file of events on the server, a server log.
    4.) -heapsize 32768 is a memory allocation of 32 MB. -mem 32 could be substituted with some engines.
    5.) -zone 1024 is another memory allocation of 1 MB for alias memory.
    6.) +map dm6 is the map the server starts on.
    But on a public hosted server, particularly Linux, it usually gets just a bit more complicated.

z:/servers/myaccount/sqpro –game xctf –dedicated 8 –noipx –condebug –heapsize 32768 –
    zone 1024 –ip 66.55.44.33 –udpport 26000 +map e1m7

1.) Your folder on the server in this case might be something like z:\servers\myaccount
    2.) In this example, sqpro is the Linux ProQuake binary.
    3.) -ip 66.55.44.33 is the IP address to use for the connection
    4.) -udpport 26000 is the connection port. 26000 is the most desired port, the Quake default, meaning that clients can connect without indicating the port #. In this example, someone could connect typing CONNECT 66.55.44.33, but with other ports they would need to type CONNECT 66.55.44.33:26001 (you'd want to get a DNS for the IP alias, but you often won't have that when you are doing initial setup.)
    Read More ... Guide #45
    I checked the Guides over, but I'm sure there are some typos in them or some other "proofreading didn't spot everything issues".
    Last edited by Baker; 06-20-2006, 05:58 PM.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

The link to Guide #45 is wrong
    16:03:04 <gb> when I put in a sng, I think I might need nails
    16:03:30 <gb> the fact that only playtesting tells me that probably means that my mind is a sieve

Comment

Thanks for the heads up ... fixed.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Well Im on a mac. How can I go about doing this? Im sure there is a way. I just want to be able to do it to test out maps i am making with other people. Can anybody help? I have downloaded and currently use the mac proquake.
        SpeakNow.QuakeOne.Com
        [email protected]
        AIM - EMHof1

Comment

I know that the Fruitz of Dojo port at http://www.fruitz-of-dojo.de/php/download.php4?dlnr=2 has a little command line utility that lets you type in command line parameters.

Maybe you could rename the Mac ProQuake executable to the name Fruitz of Dojo uses and use that utility to enter the command line parameters.

Like type in the command line "-game whatever -dedicated 16 +map start" or whatever you need the command line to be.

/I don't have a Mac, but I tried Quake on the Mac about 2 years ago

Comment

I dont know. I cant get it to work. Maybe its impossible? Or maybe its just not my thang...
            SpeakNow.QuakeOne.Com
            [email protected]
            AIM - EMHof1

Comment

Baker: I know I asked about this in another thread, but cant locate it. Will this guide work if you use Proquake on a server using CentOS, which is a Linux Derivative? Anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Cobalt View Post
                Baker: I know I asked about this in another thread, but cant locate it. Will this guide work if you use Proquake on a server using CentOS, which is a Linux Derivative? Anyone?
                Here are the links:

QuakeOne Guides - How to Have a Successful Public Server

QuakeOne Guides - Server Setup Configuration

I have no idea about your OS, but assuming the binary you are using runs you'd think you are in the clear.

Comment

centos is basically redhat enterprise, id say you'd be fine running proquake on it.

Comment

The guide links redirect to the Quakeone.com homepage. Can someone take a look into this?

Comment

Setting up a dedicated Proquake Server

The guide links dont seem to be working. can anyone tell me how to set up a dedicated proquake server? Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Comment

c://quake/proquake.exe -game ctf - dedicated 16 -condebug -zone 1024
                        Cbuf_AddText (va("say ZeroQuake GL version 1.10\n"));

Comment

Most importantly use the -dedicated command-line parameter. Followed by the number of players you wish to have on the server. Max value is 16. Also, setting +deathmatch 1 or +coop 1 to determine a game mode. Or as mono quickly illustrated, use the -game parameter which points to the folder name of the mod you wish to use. If u just want normal quake DM then dont use the -game parameter.

Some other things like, -zone or -mem might be required depending on the mod u are using. Read the docs that came with the mod....

edit: actually if you read the 1st post on this thread you'd find...

Actual Setup: #5 A Command Line

In a LAN game, a command line might go like this:

c:/quake/wqpro.exe -game crmod –dedicated 16 –condebug –heapsize 32768 –zone 1024 +map dm6

In the above:

0.) wqpro.exe is the ProQuake dedicated engine, basically an improved WinQuake.
                          1.) -game crmod is an example where c:\quake\crmod is where the progs.dat and other mod files reside.
                          2.) -dedicated 16 is an example where the server is setup to allow 16 players to connect
                          3.) -condebug generates a qconsole.log text file of events on the server, a server log.
                          4.) -heapsize 32768 is a memory allocation of 32 MB. -mem 32 could be substituted with some engines.
                          5.) -zone 1024 is another memory allocation of 1 MB for alias memory.
                          6.) +map dm6 is the map the server starts on.
                          But on a public hosted server, particularly Linux, it usually gets just a bit more complicated.

z:/servers/myaccount/sqpro –game xctf –dedicated 8 –noipx –condebug –heapsize 32768 –
                          zone 1024 –ip 66.55.44.33 –udpport 26000 +map e1m7

1.) Your folder on the server in this case might be something like z:\servers\myaccount
                          2.) In this example, sqpro is the Linux ProQuake binary.
                          3.) -ip 66.55.44.33 is the IP address to use for the connection
                          4.) -udpport 26000 is the connection port. 26000 is the most desired port, the Quake default, meaning that clients can connect without indicating the port #. In this example, someone could connect typing CONNECT 66.55.44.33, but with other ports they would need to type CONNECT 66.55.44.33:26001 (you'd want to get a DNS for the IP alias, but you often won't have that when you are doing initial setup.)
                          www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

What are the most reasonable -game flags that we can assume people use with their clients?

As I've been looking over coop maps with Quake Injector I'm finding some that need quoth or some other mod running. Is it best to stick to bare metal and avoid those maps/mods? What about the mission packs? Is it safe to assume that people have rogue and hipnotic in their client flags?

-r0t.uk- cOOp - Mapvote - r0t.uk:26001
                            -r0t.uk- DM - Mapvote - r0t.uk:26000

Comment

Originally posted by slackhead View Post
                              What are the most reasonable -game flags that we can assume people use with their clients?

As I've been looking over coop maps with Quake Injector I'm finding some that need quoth or some other mod running. Is it best to stick to bare metal and avoid those maps/mods? What about the mission packs? Is it safe to assume that people have rogue and hipnotic in their client flags?
                              Im sure PrimalLove can help you on this as he is a kleshik coop lover.

Comment

Working...
                              X