I have problem downloading a compiling GUI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have problem downloading a compiling GUI

Well... I'm trying to get into level design.
    It's tough a lot, but MAYBE with time I'll get better... I guess

Anyway! I have to download the Necros' CompilingGUI, and in his blog there are a lot of link of Quaddicted to download it, that apparently DO NOT EXIST because when I click to them, I am sent back to the blog's homepage.

Any help? I'd like to test my first map (or should I say room?) to see if it works!

ne_q1spCompilingGui | The Shores of Nis

The download link on this page seems to work fine for me.
    Scout's Journey
    Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Cool, this one worked for me too.
      Thanks a lot pal!

Comment

No problem.

Map compiling for Quake can be a bit annoying. Making levels is very fun though.
        Scout's Journey
        Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Well yeah, I guess it's funny.
          But learning and remembering the stuff is hard and boring.

Anyway I have another issue..

When I press Ctrl+R (Run Quake)
          It launch, opens the console, and says:
          ''Can't load the server
          3 Demo(s) in loop''

What's that? Why?

Comment

The stuff about 3 demos in loop means that the engine is running. That is good.

Can't load the server might mean that the Quake engine doesn't find your compiled .bsp file.

.bsp files belong into quake/id1/maps. Does such a folder exist in your Quake install, and is your .bsp file inside it?
            Scout's Journey
            Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

uh! How do I convert my .map into the .bsp?

Also, ehm... is it really that long to test a map?
              I mean, I've heard, in a video, that John Romero when he makes levels, he just make them look cool, and play them during kinda every step to see if it fits cool and plays nice in-game. But.. it was about Doom.
              Guess it isn't possible here in Quake with TrenchBroom, right?

Comment

Originally posted by activa View Post
                uh! How do I convert my .map into the .bsp?
                That is what the map compiler (QBSP) does.

Do you have the actual map compilers installed as well as the compiling GUI? The map compilers are called QBSP, VIS and LIGHT or similar. Your GUI acts as a graphical front-end to these.

Please read https://www.quaddicted.com/tools/map_compilers

And if your system does not have qbsp.exe and the others installed, please do install them.

Also, ehm... is it really that long to test a map?
                No, not really. You just have to compile the map every time you change it.

Compiling the map only takes long when it becomes very large and complex. For a test map, it doesn't take long at all.

Don't give up, you only have to learn this compiling stuff once and then you can just map.
                Scout's Journey
                Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

lol, another problem.

I've done all wrong.
                  The map seems to be there but I keep falling also if I've put the start INSIDE the map... I mean, I'm out of the map.
                  Any idea of the reason of this?

Comment

That's weird. Put the info_player_start inside the map and don't let it touch any surfaces.

Perhaps your map has a leak, too. That means it's not completely "airtight"? Your brushes must separate the inside of the map from the outside perfectly.

You might also give me a link to your map and bsp, then I might take a look at them.
                    Scout's Journey
                    Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
                      That's weird. Put the info_player_start inside the map and don't let it touch any surfaces.

Perhaps your map has a leak, too. That means it's not completely "airtight"? Your brushes must separate the inside of the map from the outside perfectly.

You might also give me a link to your map and bsp, then I might take a look at them.
                      Thanks for the availabilty, so!

And how could I upload it here?

Comment

Also make sure your brushes are "worldspawn" classname or they will show up but you will simply fall through them. Usually map editors do this automatically but I have seen them get mislabeled.

Comment

https://filetea.me/default/ and you can post the link here.

Comment

I've got a bit progress now, btw.
                            I made it not with the feet down on the surface, but in air, and for a while it stays in the map, then it falls down.

Comment

Well, now I go to bed.
                              I'll check all you both said when I back to PC, and then I'll let you know, and/or upload the file somewhere.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X