Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 new QW Server but.... a few questions

HI all,

I sucessfully setup three Quake World Server.

- pRophecy KTX
    - pRophecy FFA
    - pRophecy CA

I can find them over darkplaces-client. (See screenshot)

But I dont find them in Qtracker. How Can I add them so that ofters can find them?

Thanks for any help

Q-Tracker was the Problem, now Servers could be found.
    Is there any gameserver browser which I can use?

Comment

Hi Nekro1
      Being a NetQuaker I'm not sure if the majority of quakeworld clients have built in server browsers like some of the Netquake engines, but if not then I wonder whether the live netquake server browsers at QuakeOne - Quake Servers and Real Time Server Browser could be modified to include QW servers such as yours. I know Qstat can handle QW, and the fact that this is primarily a Netquake focussed site, but maybe Efess could shead a little light on this, as it might be a way of "cross-pollenating" the 2 communities.

Kind regards

Monty
      Mr.Burns
      "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
      WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
      Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

HI Mr. Burns,

thanks for your answer. I am not sure, if I understand everything right, what u explained to me.

I Setup QW because I thought QW is still used.
        What does that mean "beeing a NetQuaker" ?
        Is that a special Quake multiplayer port and is that diffrent to QW? Is QW compatible to NetQuake?

Do I Need to Setup Special NetQuake Servers? Will they be found in Qtracker? I used nquakesvr cause that was easy to Setup 3 KTX Servers.

I am a little bit disapointed because no one Plays on my Servers

Comment

Hi Nekro1
          Originally posted by NeKro1 View Post
          HI Mr. Burns,

thanks for your answer. I am not sure, if I understand everything right, what u explained to me.

I Setup QW because I thought QW is still used.
          At one time QW seemed to have more players than Netquake, but as far as I know QW is still used. I seem to recall the recent Rock2ber tournament was a QW event

What does that mean "being a NetQuaker" ?
          It means that I play Quake using a Netquake engine connecting to Netquake servers. There is nothing wrong with QW it's just that they tend to be a bit too competitive for li'l old me

Is that a special Quake multiplayer port and is that diffrent to QW?
          If I understand the chronology correctly, Netquake was produced first and QW was a development of that engine with things like prediction added and the physics altered.

Is QW compatible to NetQuake?
          According to people far more knowledgeable on QW than myself I believe some QW engines will allow you to connect to NetQuake Servers. On other hand I'm informed that only the Darkplaces NQ engine will allow you to connect to QW servers. I'm not aware of NQ engines such as Proquake, DirectQ, Qrack or EngineX having this capability.

Do I Need to Setup Special NetQuake Servers? Will they be found in Qtracker? I used nquakesvr cause that was easy to Setup 3 KTX Servers.
          I am a little bit disapointed because no one Plays on my Servers
          I cant speak for Qtracker as I have never used it. Perhaps if you are looking for QW players to join it might be worth publicizing it on the QW sites? If you are looking for NQ players to join it might be worth looking at using a more NQ friendly server engine and then get it added to the server listing here at QuakeOne. One last thought, if you are running a DP server and want more NQ players I wonder if running it with the NQ protocol (rather than the DP only protocol) might help you?

Kind regards

Monty
          Mr.Burns
          "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"

Comment

Thanks Mr. Burns

I Setup now a proQuake Server with modification "rune".
            In wich serverlist do I have to add him manually?

Cheers
            Alex

Comment

Thanks Mr. Burns

I Setup now a proQuake Server with modification "rune".
              In wich serverlist do I have to add him manually?

Cheers
              Alex
              Hi Alex,
              As mentioned above I would suggest talking nicely to ppl like efess or polarite and I'm sure they wont mind adding your server to the official server list if you give them all of the appropriate details

Just out of interest where is your netquake server located and what is the address?

Kind regards
              Monty
              Mr.Burns

Comment

HI Monty,

here is the IP: 84.200.38.152:26000
                Ist located Germany, Frankfurt

Cheers
                Alex

Comment

Just tried it and got a 34 ping connecting from the UK which is pretty good. I notice that you hadn't got any custom maps enabled which was a pity as they are quite popular on the european servers. Perhaps look at other european servers like Bigfoot.servegame.com:26000 and damage.servegame.com:26000 for ideas? just type say !maps in console

Hope this helps

Monty
                  Mr.Burns

Comment

did you know if you just set it to duel and put on aerowalk a random omacknight will appear eventually and never leave?

themoreyouknow
                    twitch
                    wew lad

Comment

Originally posted by OMacKnight View Post
                      did you know if you just set it to duel and put on aerowalk a random omacknight will appear eventually and never leave?

themoreyouknow
                      That happened to me once. Gave me a darn good thrashing too Maybe I'll try and summon one on Damage again over the weekend
                      Mr.Burns

Comment

Sounds like a plan, in fact if I stop being ill I might just come on some time either saturday or sunday evening (I'll make a post in advance so we can get some fragging going :p)
                        twitch
                        wew lad

Comment

What is a common mod for net Quake? I would like to Change the rune mod to another one.

Finally, how can i Setup a DNS for the Server?

Cheers
                          Alex

Comment

I'm not expert, but in europe the most popular quake mods in the netquake area appear to be FFA, Coop, and a smattering of midair/slide/painkeep/ctf. These are already pretty well served with european servers like bigfoot, damage, flanders, and qrf. Perhaps it might help if you keep an eye on the servers page here on Quakeone.com and see which servers and mods are getting the best patronage.

In the states it seems that Runequake, CRCTF, TDM, and eternal DM3 get the most attention.

Personally I take the view that the servers that offer the players the opportunity to vote to change the mode of play as required seem to be best received.

Just in case it may help there are a few things you could consider for your server:
                            1. Get an easy to remember DNS name.
                            2. Add multiple custom maps to your server
                            3. Add voting options so players can turn things on/off. The rune quake mod you are already running has numerous voting options so players can easily flip from a RuneQuake server - to a FFA server - to a headhunters server - to a midair server, etc without having to leave your server.
                            4. Once you have your DNS, and if your server is going to be a permanent fixture, approach people like Efess or Polarite and humbly request them to add your DNS to the servers list. This will populate clients such as Proquake (and possibly Qrack (Rook?) ) making it easier for players to find your server and connect.
                            5. If you move away from Runequake then consider opening your server to both protocols (regular Proquake and Darkplaces) so players using either client can see your server in their server list and connect to it. Polarite did this on his NewDM server in europe and up until it went down recently was building a nice little player base comprising of Darkplaces and Proquake/Qrack fans.
                            6. Consider the current level of support already available for a particular mod. There's no point having more servers than players

I hope that this may be of some use to you

Kind regards

Monty
                            Last edited by Mr.Burns; 11-27-2015, 01:55 AM.
                            Mr.Burns

Comment

Working...
                            X