Hexen 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hexen 2

Now this could be the completely wrong place to post this, but here it goes. Hexen 2 I believe runs off of the quake engine, and there are some mods that I have and want to alter. The only files in there folder are progs.dat, all of the tools I have found that supposedly would edit these do not work on my windows OS, possibly cause its x64.

If any one can give me a pointer, if this is even the right place, it would be appreciated.

to 'edit' a progs.dat, you need two things:
    1) the sourcecode for it. best is to download the source from the same person/site that you got the compiled version from. of course, some people are selfish or just lazy and don't make source available, in which can you might be able to violate any licenses that they used and decompile in. decompiled code is pretty much unreadable, and of course violating licenses is legally awkward too, though not too many people care about that and most people are too lazy to even specify any license for their mods so who knows what you're even allowed to do with it anyway.
    you should end up with a progs.src file and a whole load of *.hc files
    2) a compiler.
    probably you'll need one designed to deal with whatever gibberish your decompiler generated, alternatively uhexen2 has some hexenc compiler, or you can use fteqcc (with the -Th2 commandline argument to tell it to fixate on hexen2 instead of quake, or with fteqccgui you can find it in the options thingie). Your choice.

hexen2 has some incompatibilities with quake (hence why the extra arg for fteqcc), but its not otherwise fundamentally different.
    Some Game Thing

Comment

You might want to check Func_Msgboard or InsideQC for this kind of stuff. That's where the knowledgeable people in the Quake community dwell.
      ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
      ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

Sorry about the bad title, I guess what I am trying to do is edit the skills you gain when leveling up, if that's any help to my question.

Comment

Originally posted by archedmaid View Post
          Sorry about the bad title, I guess what I am trying to do is edit the skills you gain when leveling up, if that's any help to my question.
          Oops, I edited my post when I saw Spike's answer. Still, it is generally a good idea to come up with more descriptive titles for your posts.

I know squat in coding, but I've gathered that you'll need to understand QuakeC to do what you're aiming for.
          ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
          ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

Originally posted by archedmaid View Post
            Hello archedmaid,

What you need to have for your mod is (also read what Spike says):
            1.) Hexen2 gamecode source code (1.12a or newer for portals)
            2.) An .hc compiler (hcc.exe or fteqcc.exe/fteqccgui.exe)
            That is all.

Regarding point 1) I suggest to download the improved/bugfixed gamecode version from szo
            Regarding point 2) I suggest Spike´s fteqccgui.exe. Be sure to check "HexenC" in "options" and click "apply" before you actualy compile. Put the fteqccgui.exe where the .hc file are.

Now, what you want to do is to alter the skills you gain when leveling up, as you mentioned in your post above.
            You need to edit the file stats.hc for this. Open it with notepad for example. The code is heavily commented, so it should be readable just fine.
            Do your edits and save the stats.hc. Now open fteqccgui.exe, check "HexenC" and compile your new progs.dat. Easy as breathing some might say.

Have fun tinkering with the values and happy coding.

Best wishes,
            Seven

Comment

Working...
            X