X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Client side prediction

How it works? what the idea?
    i want also back port it from QuakeWorld to Quake1
    or there any Quake1 clients that can do prediction?

I think its some kind of buffer with size of ping , where we store client commands that sends to server after (ping time) and first element removes from array, shift array and add next client command?
    Hexen:Edge of Chaos: News - my most awaiting game
    Qtracker - for easy searching of Quake and HeXen II servers
    HeXen II: All Source Ports List - i am collecting everything for HeXen II
    HeXen II Files - under development
    Me at Facebook - want play hexen2 multiplayer write me
    hexen2 ftp
    hexen2 maps, mods, addons, etc, torrent

DarkPlaces and FTE do prediction.

Quakeworld is explained a bit in this link: Quake Source Code Review

The Quake and Quakeworld source code are open source. Compare the differences, the differences are concentrated in just a few different files.

Network code is the Mt. Everest of low-level programming. Few people can do low-level coding, and very few of those can do network code.

Hope you like sockets, acks, checksumming packets and calculating transit time for the prediction.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Thank you very much.
      Darkplaces can connect to QW and Q1 servers and both i feels unpredicted, how i can turn it on?
      FTE i used to think it only works with QW but it can connect to Q1 =) nice, QW predicted, Q1 unpredicted.
      Any settings?
      hexen2 ftp

Comment

DarkPlaces always work fine for me if I use it to connect to a Quakeworld server.

I never have touched any settings, and don't know what they would be.

Maybe you should try a different server.
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

In DarkPlaces, cl_movement 1 toggles the client-side prediction code. Though, I think it's only for DP7 and QW protocols; does nothing on a netQuake server.

I think it was added as people using 20ms ping on a DP server didnt want/need it. I dunno. I play fine on a protocol 15 server at sub 20 ms ping, as long as the ticrate is low enough.
          www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Thank you its do want i want for DP, and there is no clients with client side prediction for netQuake? protocol 15? (just regular Quake1).

Did it possible theoreticaly to implement it? or it affect protocol?

i playing with ping 80+ even sometimes 200 so it very feels for me.

like i press forward key and release it after 200miliseconds player do movement, it feels like i drunk there =)
            hexen2 ftp

Comment

protocol 15 has no input frame acks, nor any way to tell which server tics reused which input frames
              Some Game Thing

Comment

Spike what it means? it means not possible to make client side prediction?
                hexen2 ftp

Comment

information about the server's cvars is also missing.
                  just one of those three reasons alone is enough for prediction to be unplayable or too unreliable.

or just pick a server nearer to you.
                  Some Game Thing

Comment

Working...
                  X