Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At Rest Player Model with Rigging

Hello,

I'm new to animation and was looking to fool around the the classic Quake models. I was unaware that Quake did not use skeletal animation, and I haven't been able to find any resources on how to animate this way.

I have been searching the web for the original Quake Ranger model at rest with his arms by his sides. I tried extracting the models from the pak files but was only able to find the animated loop model.

I know it's a long shot but I was hoping that maybe someone had created an at rest model with a skeleton or even one without.

I feel very lucky to have found an active Quake modding community after all of these years. I welcome any help or direction on this subject.

Thanks in advance!

http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...-2016-a-9.html

Dutch's player model comes with the .blend file. You will need blender (probably 2.63). If you intend to export as .mdl you will need the blender .mdl importer/exporter from quake forge.

I don't know of any original quake models that have been reformatted to a common model file type for a suite and rigged (ie .blend, 3ds, etc). With the stuff mentioned in my first paragraph you should be able to create your own version of this, though.

Mdls use shape tweening instead of a rig. You can shape tween in blender. Or you could pick the closest frame you can find to what you want, rip it out of the tween, fix it to be exactly how you want and rig that.

Honestly, considering your question, I would say you have a long and stressful road ahead of you. I don't say this to discourage you, I'm just being completely honest. You would probably do better to simply find a 3D suite you are comfortable in and build the model from scratch. Most original quake models are pretty much just a big sloppy shape made to look "good" with texturing. You could make a big sloppy shape even if you've never modeled, ever. Then simply put the original texture on your big sloppy shape and nobody will know the difference...��

I made this ranger, and as you can see, this shit is identical to the original. I know it's kind of hard to tell but all I did here was wrap the texture around a cylinder. You may have to look close to see it cause, I did a really good job. Nothing is stopping you from basically reproducing my genius. Would you believe my version actually has even less polys?! I know, I know, it's amazing.

*that's right. I'm still getting miles out of this dumb-ass joke from 4.5 years ago
    Last edited by MadGypsy; 06-02-2017, 10:04 AM.
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Thank you for the quick response!

I guess I might me out of luck then, I was hoping to find a model in that exact pose that I could add my own skeleton to.

I'll keep looking and may resort to using the "tube" method haha.

Comment

Originally posted by SMFK View Post
        Thank you for the quick response!

I guess I might me out of luck then, I was hoping to find a model in that exact pose that I could add my own skeleton to.

I'll keep looking and may resort to using the "tube" method haha.
        Howdy SMFK.

The model that MadGypsy linked to does include that pose as a standard t-pose. You'll have to look at the frames, it's either the first of last frame, or both. I can't remember.
        'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

It's that low poly, it's not going to take years to reposition it to the required pose, then export it as an obj so it looses it's vertex animation. Then re-import it, rig it and off you go.

Comment

capnbubs' player model includes blender file with rigging:
            http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...provement.html
            are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
            > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
            everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Working...
            X