No announcement yet.

warpzones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think these videos will illustrate warpzones a bit better.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfkMYYc8OSE[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOrUJsg7DB8[/ame]
    Last edited by gnounc; 05-05-2013, 04:22 PM.
    Gnounc's Project Graveyard Gnounc's git repo

Comment

When I first "saw" tech like this I think it was from Prey, and they called them portals didn't they?

AWESOME implementation to btw.
      Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

i think its a feature worth adding to smc, even if it has no real use.
        My Avatars!
        Quake Leagues
        Quake 1.5!!!
        Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Originally posted by syluxman2803 View Post
          i think its a feature worth adding to smc, even if it has no real use.
          Someone will have to edit maps / maybe hack the already in place teleportals to all act like warpzones instead.

idea : what about warpzones handling the transition from map to map ,like E1M1 to E1M2 as example.
          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

thats pretty cool
            does it work the other way around too, like that a monster can see you through the teleporter?

also kinda like mindz idea of warpzones at the end of each level, so you can see the map you are going too
            are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
            > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
            everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

idea : what about warpzones handling the transition from map to map ,like E1M1 to E1M2 as example.

I was waiting for this to be done actually. Im still waiting.
              I hope someone decides to stitch together every level into 1, with warpzones.
              Gnounc's Project Graveyard Gnounc's git repo

Comment

Hello,

A "real" live warpzone from level to level is as far as I know not possible.
                The next level must be rendered to be seen inside the warpzone teleporter. As long as it is not rendered/loaded, it is not there/viewable.

But you can always use a cubemap of the destination of the teleporter, which can be seen inside the teleporter.
                Guess who did this already ?
                --> Nahuel

Look close to this screenshot (it is from start map). It shows the destination (in this case the episode selection hall). When you move left and right in front of the teleporter, you can see the selection hall left and right through the teleporter !!
                Just like it would be just a door

You need to record a cubemap for every teleporters destination and then also a teleporter "warp" to the next level can be done.
                You need to edit the map itself of course. But it can be done.

So you would have at least a "pseydo-live" view to your destination in the next level.

Here is Nahuels download for the start map teleporter:
                Low Res Version
                High Res Version

This was created 2 years ago during that wonderful thread from webangel.
                Almost every modder at quakeone participated.
                Man, this was a wonderful time.

Comment

wow neat.

semi off topic ; it would also be neat if every map could be stitched together (like found ,somewhat like in death32c), like instead of a slipgate at the end of E1M1, it directly lead into the E1M2 start room with more monsters waiting.

^ strip out every slipgate and make 1 gigantic ass map. (and dont use r_novis 1 HEH!)

huge undertaking for a mapper im sure.
                  Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

i don't wanna look like somebody who is always in opposition, but... you really need to know where the teleports lead in? i don't get it. in multiplayer maybe... combined with the ability to shoot through the teleports. that would be a nice feature. however, i'm a singleplayer person only and i like the moment of surprise. teleport is a mysterious object - i can end up in a qd secret area or in front of the angry shambler.
                    -
                    EDIT:
                    random additonal thoughts: i know that all these extra features are optimal and nobody is forcing me into using them. it's just that those warpzones from videos above are no longer "teleports" for me. they are just another ordinery doors into another rooms. it's great for deathmatch i guess. the level designers can use it for really really twisted and logic defying levels, but for singleplayer?
                    -
                    as for the cubemaps... they can fake warpzones, but they are static. you can see where the teleport leads into, but only the basic level geometry. no entities, no monsters ets... so, when i'm thinking about it now there may be a surprise. the target room looks empty from your side of the teleport, you step into and BAM - it's full of monsters. is it a right kind of surprise? not or me, though.
                    -
                    another idea: imagine warpzones in single. i can see/shoot through teleports. now... what about the monsters? can they see/attack me? if not then it would be quite unfair.
                    -
                    jakub
                    Last edited by jakub1; 05-07-2013, 02:56 AM.
                    my projects so far:

Travail retextured ___/___ Knave HD textures
                    Tronyn in high definiton ___/___Abyss of Pandemonium HD textures
                    Nehahra rtlights and other experiments

Comment

Hello Jakub,

Reading your words tells me, that you are taking things too seriously.
                      Nahuel was just showing what is possible with some great lines of code and a big talent.
                      He made it for multiplayer of course.
                      And that is an amazing boost of fun, when you can use warpzones and even shoot through them.
                      That feature is amazing.

But for single player, you are of course right.
                      A teleporters destination shall and should be a mystery.
                      If you end up in the mouth of shub or in the arms of chton, or in the middle of 6 angry shamblers...
                      I fully agree.

But hey, it is a fun feature and people like to discuss about it.
                      It is something like this but meant in a positive way:

See it as a interesting feature and dont think about it too much.
                      Who knows the next interpretations of this feature... maybe we end up in something new ?

I personaly love Nahuels ideas and features.
                      Its like an endless well of great things

Your friend,
                      Seven

Comment

why so serious?

to seven or anybody who cares: i don't take it seriously. no way! all my life people have been telling me "for god's sake jakub, take it seriously!" but i simply can't. one day, it will be officially diagnosed disorder and i'm kind proud of having it. life must be hell when you take things seriously. :-)
                        -
                        so... i didn't want to detract nahuels work or anybody's work for that matter. it's just that for me this particular feature takes away mystery and fun from quake and i wanted to see if there were others like me. nothing more.
                        -
                        jakub
                        my projects so far:

Travail retextured ___/___ Knave HD textures
                        Tronyn in high definiton ___/___Abyss of Pandemonium HD textures
                        Nehahra rtlights and other experiments

Comment

Originally posted by jakub1 View Post
                          i don't wanna look like somebody who is always in opposition, but... you really need to know where the teleports lead in? i don't get it. in multiplayer maybe... combined with the ability to shoot through the teleports. that would be a nice feature. however, i'm a singleplayer person only and i like the moment of surprise. teleport is a mysterious object - i can end up in a qd secret area or in front of the angry shambler.
                          -
                          EDIT:
                          random additonal thoughts: i know that all these extra features are optimal and nobody is forcing me into using them. it's just that those warpzones from videos above are no longer "teleports" for me. they are just another ordinery doors into another rooms. it's great for deathmatch i guess. the level designers can use it for really really twisted and logic defying levels, but for singleplayer?
                          -
                          as for the cubemaps... they can fake warpzones, but they are static. you can see where the teleport leads into, but only the basic level geometry. no entities, no monsters ets... so, when i'm thinking about it now there may be a surprise. the target room looks empty from your side of the teleport, you step into and BAM - it's full of monsters. is it a right kind of surprise? not or me, though.
                          -
                          another idea: imagine warpzones in single. i can see/shoot through teleports. now... what about the monsters? can they see/attack me? if not then it would be quite unfair.
                          -
                          jakub
                          The warpzones are taken from xonotic, xonotic is a multiplayer game (you can add bots also). Please read all the posts, i wrote warpzones are not teleporters!!
                          Respect singleplayer, i tested some features, changin a little the ai of the monsters (that they can "see" through the warpzones with WarpZone_Traceline function. thi is very funny altough is buggy for now I will added this feature in my mod "Waste" some day
                          the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

Personally, I consider the prospect of having these options available in Quake (albeit in a mod) is really quite interesting. I'd love to see the result. Keep up the good work

Kind regards

Monty
                            Last edited by Mr.Burns; 05-07-2013, 03:50 PM.
                            Mr.Burns
                            "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
                            WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
                            Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

We are going to need a map designed for CAx gameplay + these warpzone things, for real

Comment

I love your warpzones Nahuel, and cant wait for demo from your waste mod!!

Comment

Working...
                                X