Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gridz for Radiant Q1

Gridz for Radiant

I have created a pack of 2 separate grid types to be used for initial geometry/lighting and texture placement

grid for preliminary lighting and early geometry

There are 12 duplicate grids per the following sizes (32x32 64x64 and 128x12. The idea is that you can use the duplicates where a new material is introduced and easily replace it with the find/replace option when you are ready to move to texture grids or your actual texture.

texture placement grid

There are 12 unique colors for the texture grids and they come in the following sizes (32x32 64x64 128x12. Care was taken to ensure that none of the colors closely resemble another color. The idea is that you can use these different colored gridz to establish detail and proper texture placement, but have enough of them so you can use find/replace to quickly retexture your map away from the grids when you are ready to move to your actual texture.

understanding the texture grid
    black boxes fall on the overall row and column that you are viewing (as a whole). Letters/numbers are present so you know how the texture is oriented (backwards? upside-down?). The outermost boundary lines of the grid are slightly blurred to indicate the edges of the texture. These textures reveal as low as 8 unit increments

Download Radiant Gridz for Q1 Mapping

to install, simply unzip gridz.zip to your ID1 (or mod equivalent) folder. Radiant acts just like a Quake engine with texture replacements. Do not rely solely on the wad, let radiant use the replacement textures.

The grid is accurate. All real grid lines will fall in the dead center of my texture grid lines.

note: I'm assuming this could be used for Q3 mapping by simply ditching the wad. Also, the geometry in my screenshots is for example purposes and it does not reflect any work I am doing on an actual map.

Idea Source: This is an elaboration based on various things golden_boy has said over time.
    Last edited by MadGypsy; 08-20-2013, 07:13 PM.
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Thanks!
    WARNING
    May be too intense for some viewers.
    Stress Relief Device
    ....BANG HEAD HERE....
    ---------------------------
    .--------------------------

Comment

Nice.
      Scout's Journey
      Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

NP & thanks!

Comment

I realized one way I could make this better. My "geometry" gridz solely rely on new names to be unique from one another. I should probably use the same color indication that I used for the texture gridz. Honestly, I vaguely remember considering this when I first made it but was too lazy to make all the different colors. I had just finished all the colored versions of the texture gridz and I was sick of having to do the color step. It's incredibly monotonous. I had already set it up where it isn't complicated though, so I will revisit this and make it better before Thursday.

edit: I think I will also base the lines on the geometry gridz on a 64 unit scale. I will keep the texture gridz at 32 though cause I rather like them just as they are.

edit2: I might as well include blank colors as well since I already have them...maybe just a simple thin outline so you can see exactly where the texture begins and ends, considering this is called gridz not gridz+blankz
          Last edited by MadGypsy; 09-02-2013, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X