Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hah, my browser tried to eat this but, I copied it to my clipboard before sending... take THAT, shitty internet that isn't gonna get me twice!

1) I see my "why do new people get special treatment" hook, caught some fish. It was a rhetorical question and meant to state (without stating) that attitudes in general are the problem and old/new has nothing to do with it.

2) Constructive criticism is good only if the developer wants it. If you are issuing unsolicited criticism then it is deconstructive criticism regardless of how good your advice/critique may be. Not everybody has thick skin and it shouldn't be a prerequisite to have thick skin just to share your project. If someone isn't openly asking a question to the masses about their project, I generally chalk it up as a "no criticism welcomed" post.

---

Of course there are always exceptions, like this guy. He made an alternate SMC by just deleting things from regular SMC... lol.

"See that model? [click] You don't need it. 'Bout to get rid of some sounds and put a fork in this baby."
    Last edited by MadGypsy; 10-17-2013, 02:35 PM.
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

no matter what thread i go to, i read the same stuff, lol.
      My Avatars!
      Quake Leagues
      Quake 1.5!!!
      Definitive HD Quake

Comment

There is a bit of a credits/license theme going on here recently. I think it's good. Intelligent people are participating and derailing the negativity. Slick too, no confrontation with the negative, just... here is factual and logical positive.

And then there is nothing negative that you can say without seeming like a jack-hole (lol, I always wanted to say that).

Comment

Where is the pack? I can´t download it..

BTW: I don´t understand, why people here are so aggressive to someone that is

1. new here and
          2. releases a new comp

What is the problem? If he is including all readmes and sources, than everthing is fine. (Sadly) our Quake is a plug it somehow together game - and not everyone is looking through all things that are possible or has a overview on all packages, mods etc that are available.

You should be glad, that there are people that are sticking a running package together for the masses - so Quake is reaching more people instead of a handful nerds that have a QuakeOne-account and building mods for this guys.. Be glad, that the work is presented to more people. I don´t know, where the problem is?!

Comment

Hello,

... interesting thread and posts.
            It was a good read. It reflects very good the issues that Quakeone.com has at the moment.
            But that is another topic...

Why not go into detail and add some light into this (as it seems to bother a few people here) ?

There was a young man named Canarious.
            He never posted at quakeone, but saw this promising compilation from Smith.
            So he downloaded it and extracted all its content (all included .pk3´s).
            He then made one huge single .pk3 out of it and released it as:
            Quake HD Remastered

This is what he made in addition:
            1.) enabled all the particle effects and SMC features which was disabled by Smith
            2.) put the wrong autoexec.cfg in his "huge" .pk3 (which does not match the progs.dat)
            3.) deleted all credits.txt and readme.txt !!!

That is it.

So, do not worry. He deleted his download link on purpose, because of no. 3.)
            As this was the point, that most people here are concerend about and have been pointing out.

And you also do not need to worry about eventually new content, which maybe is hidden in the Quake HD Remastered. There are none in it, as it is just a repack (see above).

This is what Canarious writes in his 1st post in this forum:
            Originally posted by Canarious View Post
            This is the most up-to-date and the best combination package you could ever use to play quake in true High Definition with special effects.
            And you think that he is the "new" guy ?
            I think that his statement leaves no doubt.

In my eyes it is like a flap in Smith´s face.
            Using an existing compilation, changing some cvars, adding bugs into it (wrong autoexec´s and messed up cd tracks), deleting all credits and readme´s and re-upload it !!!
            Advertising it with a big praise..... Quake HD Remastered

For most of you the fact that he did no. 3.) seems to be the most important issue here.
            For me, the fact that he reuploaded an existing work without saying so, is also not nice...

Nevertheless, it is really suprising to see the negative and aggressive posts in this thread !
            Sometimes it is better to first look at a content someone is giving, before judging him.

In the end, the negativity towards Canarious was justified (see above), but what if he really did a new compilation ?? In that case the negative feedback would have been dead wrong.

Just my 2 cents on this.
            Seven

Comment

Originally posted by talisa View Post
              seriously, another one of those supposed 'super amazing HD packs' ?

you gotta be f-ing kidding me
              You have no idea how much work he/she put into it. Consider yourself lucky he/she does not charge money for it.

Ka-ching!
              Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

@MadGypsy
                I'll disagree on one point you made. Anytime you post work here on the forum you are inviting critiques. I feel that is a given.
                @Seven
                You are right that this was a repackage and warranted the responses which were negative. You are also correct that there is far too much aggressiveness in offering opinions on this forum. Think before you type people. And examine something thoroughly before giving opinions.
                I do NOT feel this newcomer warranted the aggressiveness. How about pointing out the mistake politely and seeing if they rrespond in the way you want. I for one will get angry in return if someone is aggressive towards me. Human nature I think.
                Have we all forgotten simple manners?

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit View Post
                  You have no idea how much work he/she put into it. Consider yourself lucky he/she does not charge money for it.

Ka-ching!
                  hahahahahahaha. You wasn't the only one who picked up on that bit of irony.
                  Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I didnt wont post here in this topic but look @moddb how many
                    HD-Mods are out there with the exact SAME content!!

This cant be good Jeff! Please think about this.

There are much more. Just google it.

Just a few:
                    - attaque (released Q1 with full ID content!)
                    - xomoro (released Q1 with full ID content!)
                    dont find others right now

A newbie cant release such a pack, and I think nobody want delete every license info and/or readme before he/she post something like this. And the moddb article is much older!
                    @ Other Oldgames Communities something like this didnt happend. Look @ Duke or something similar....
                    I still dont understand why this pack should be better or bring something new for us Quake Lovers. There is notthing new in it. Just already done work with new and WRONG configuration. This all can be done with 30KB.

Stealing isnt my topic!! I dont talk about this..

Bye!
                    Last edited by webangel; 10-18-2013, 03:26 PM.

Comment

@webangel and all
                      Look, I'm not trying to pick a fight here, really I'm not, but if this compilation had included the proper credits what's the harm???
                      My point is that when someone does violate the rules of conduct on this, then tell them without attacking them. If they don't follow the rules after that then there is room for some of what I see immediately here (usually).
                      If the author of the material states they don't want it released then ok, I get the frustration of you creators of materials (which I do NOT include myself in) but we need to be more polite and attempt to help others follow the rules. If they show us they won't as I said earlier..ban them.. no need for drama.
                      My though is, what if Smith had encountered this animosity when he created his pack? (maybe he did..I don't know). I used his compilation originally and it helped me to learn. Smith did give credits, but still used the works of others and did not "steal" anything. If no credits are given then, yes, it is stealing.
                      I'll shut up before I upset someone, but politeness was all I was talking about, nothing more, and I would like to see more of it. I'm just sensitive I guess to the outright hatefulness I see displayed by some here. I personally have no room for that in my life.

Comment

with credits or without credits everyone behaves as dramaqueens with those "hd super quake 2013 packs" the best solution is to release everything under licenses as WTFPL, or public domain, at least GPL 2. If anyone thinks that someone reads the credits for his work is pretty naive.
                        nobody cares as long as be free
                        [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq0t_-ys9jQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq0t_-ys9jQ[/ame]
                        the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

If anyone thinks that someone reads the credits for his work is pretty naive.
                          I read credits. I read everything that comes with anything that I have interest in. I know what you are saying and you are primarily correct, but I can't be the only person that actually reads this stuff. You know who doesn't read this stuff? People with stupid questions about how it works.

I'll disagree on one point you made. Anytime you post work here on the forum you are inviting critiques. I feel that is a given.
                          Well, in reality I cannot argue with you, because you are also primarily correct, but that does not mean that your belief is helpful or promotes accomplishment. In short: just cause you can it doesn't mean you should.

hahahahahahaha. You wasn't the only one who picked up on that bit of irony.
                          Everyone noticed it, brah. I'm gonna say the majority of us have better things to do than beat on Talisa, even if she is shoving her foot in her mouth with great velocity. We can't all be highly calculated geniuses. We all have to exist together some kind of way and that way includes some acceptance and understanding. If Talisa was new here I could see where the tempers could legitimately rise, but this girl has been here for 2 years. If you don't "know" her by now, then you probably have no right to interject. There is a big difference between being malicious and ignorant.

I'm not trying to be a jerk to Talisa with that last statement, but there is only 2 ways it can go and I refuse to believe that she is malicious. I'm also not trying to say that she is completely ignorant. I'm referring more to specifics.

A newbie cant release such a pack
                          This is the real fact. Being nice or mean is totally consequential. The fact remains that no noob is gonna come here with an HD pack that isn't going to legitimately piss people off.
                          Last edited by MadGypsy; 10-19-2013, 07:34 AM.

Comment

This is the real fact. Being nice or mean is totally consequential. The fact remains that no noob is gonna come here with an HD pack that isn't going to legitimately piss people off.
                            Then I'd say you need a new day job as you get pissed too easily. Arguing for justified nastiness doesn't work for me. Why not try to promote the site to newcomers who might change a mistake rather than scare them off?

Anyway, that's all I have to say about that.

Regards all

Comment

Working...
                            X