Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MapConv - Tool For Building Levels Using Hammer (Also Updated FDGs & InEditor Models)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MapConv - Tool For Building Levels Using Hammer (Also Updated FDGs & InEditor Models)

I had written a little application a few years back for converting v220 format maps to older games, and after coming across it again recently, decided to give things an update. It was mainly written for my own projects, but seems like something that could be useful to others as well.

Its primary purpose is to allow for level building using Valve's Hammer Editor by converting a maps format to that of Quake1, Quake2, Quake3, and variant engine types. It also has the ability to run compilers with user specified arguments on the converted file, and then launch it in its respective game (keeping the process of building levels with Hammer as simple as clicking a button). Check out the documentation for a full writeup of what else it can do.

Also released with this tool are updated versions of the HexenII and Quake1 FGDs, and full in-editor model support for each (over 300 models, including all point entities). Useful even without MapConv.

MapConv and the other downloads are available here:
    220 Map Converter

Last edited by Amran; 01-15-2014, 08:39 AM.
    MapConv - A tool for building quake engine based levels in Hammer. Updated FGDs and in-editor models also available.

This is pretty cool, man. Good job!

note: It's FGD

Here, you can use a quote of mine, from long long ago, to always remember the proper letter order.

Whereas I can't tell you what FGD stands for. It could stand for Friendly Green Dildo for all I know. It doesn't matter what it means as long as you know what it does.
    source
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
      This is pretty cool, man. Good job!
      note: It's FGD
      Oops, should be fixed now! And now that quote is probably how I'll always remember it.
      MapConv - A tool for building quake engine based levels in Hammer. Updated FGDs and in-editor models also available.

Comment

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/FGD

Does it "only" convert from v220 map format to other formats? Meaning, if I had the official released original Quake maps, could I convert those to the Quake3 format?
        Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

Originally posted by damage_inc View Post
          https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/FGD

Does it "only" convert from v220 map format to other formats? Meaning, if I had the official released original Quake maps, could I convert those to the Quake3 format?
          The converter is meant to be fed v220 files mainly, but you could do the above in one of two ways currently:
          -Hammer loads Quake1 format files happily. Load the map, re-save the file as v220, and then convert. (You may need the reverse rotations flag to be false as well.)
          -Using a custom tex file and the back convert feature.

I haven't looked at it much, but apart from splines, the main differences between a Quake1 and Quake3 file are the texture paths and detail brushes.

Comment

Hello Amran,

Thank you for this little toy.
            It will surely be useful.

I was reading your name in other forums as well.
            Looking forward with what you will come with in the future.

Best regards,
            Seven

Comment

Originally posted by Amran View Post
              The converter is meant to be fed v220 files mainly, but you could do the above in one of two ways currently:
              -Hammer loads Quake1 format files happily. Load the map, re-save the file as v220, and then convert. (You may need the reverse rotations flag to be false as well.)
              -Using a custom tex file and the back convert feature.

I haven't looked at it much, but apart from splines, the main differences between a Quake1 and Quake3 file are the texture paths and detail brushes.
              Okay, with you so far! Opened in WC, saved and then...

How do I "get"/generate a Quake 3 ".tex" file?

I saw your Quake 2 .wad/tex file download... also I have the Quake.wad/.hlwad in the directory with your map converter.

I hit "F4" but the file generated looked nothing like the quake2 one?

I know it has to be simple so, sorry for my lameness

EDIT: My goal was to convert the original Q1 maps to Q3 and then compile them with the more advanced lighting capabilities of q3map2(?) using the -warsow switch
              to run in Darkplaces/FTE. Just to see how they looked with better lighting. Got this idea from g_b
              Last edited by damage_inc; 01-16-2014, 07:26 PM.
              Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

Oops, should be fixed now!
                Your signature...

---

Also, I wrote an .fgd a long time ago. I don't remember what it was for but, I remember writing it. Maybe if I can dig it up and it is worth anything, you can use it. I want to say it was just a rehash of rogue.fgd but I created more base classes and made it much shorter. I'll see if I can find it...
                http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Oh yes, I've been using this tool for a long time!
                  Thank you so much for doing this.

Comment

Working...
                  X