Simple Models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple Models

I decided to finish my boot base mesh. It clocks in at 60 polys. I attempted to add details that should definitely be modeled in (like the ankle line) but still keep the boot as low poly as possible. My goal was to get it as boot as possible with as few quads as reasonably possible. However if you were going to use this boot as is. I would triangulate it by hand. There are plenty of convex quads and they need to be triangulated in the appropriate direction.

An example of this (in my topmost image) is the face loop above the loop for toes that goes around the foot. The most front and center face should be triangulated left to right, not top to bottom.

I cut seams, unwrapped it, made some very minor UV adjustments and then pinned everything. This means if you were to use this boot, you should be able to add all the detail you want, do a new unwrap, and all of your extra detail will be approximated within the pinned area. This means you shouldn't have to mess with too much UV stuff.

I left the very top unfinished because someone may use this on a model, which would just require an extrusion, whereas someone else may use this as a standalone model, which would require an extrusion in a different direction so, I just left it open.

I used 2.49 but there are no bones, modifiers, nothing, so I'm pretty sure you can open this in any blender without issues. I'm not sure if my seam is in a bad place though. It seemed like a very simple way to unwrap, leaving the mesh as one solid map, but it might give you issues with your texture, having the seam so front and center.

All tris have been removed.

boot_base_mesh.zip (contains boot_base_mesh.blend)

Anyone and everyone is free to use this model for any purpose they desire.
    Last edited by MadGypsy; 02-11-2014, 12:43 PM.
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

a perfect low poly for quake, hexen, half-life and other. have u used a pelt mapping for the uv? nice. wanna help me with my mod?
    Last edited by Sza; 02-11-2014, 02:52 PM.

Comment

I have another version I'll post later. The next version has been SX-1 so it will be the proper side for mirroring and I did a bunch of various rotations so it will have the proper angles to be connected to legs. I also added some edge loops that I think make it ready for rigging. The final difference is, I fixed the awkwardness of the shape in top view. It wasn't til I posted the above image (the lower one) that I realized the arch was out of whack a bit.

@help you with your mod - I'm not even supposed to be wasting time on this boot stuff. I have a substantial project of my own.

Comment

...everything I said in my last post.

This version is not unwrapped. I decided the design was simple enough that the user can mark seams and all that themself. I made it to where you can define a pant leg, a pant leg with cuff, or keep it a boot. A decent low-poly shoe shape is hidden in the topology as well. If you were to extrude a cuff, you could probably get rid of the ankle triangles.

It hasn't been rigged and tested but I think it's ready for a rig. I don't know how/where else to put loops for rigging. I'd say I have the toe and ankle covered.

82 polys

rig_boot.zip (contains rig_boot.blend)
        Last edited by MadGypsy; 02-11-2014, 05:43 PM.

Comment

I wanted to make something with my boot to really show it's potential. This is the same base mesh from my last post with some minor additions.

perspective view

The buckle is not actually attached to the boot mesh, it's its own thing. Buckle is too fat. I'm gonna make it thinner.

______

I thinned it out and contoured the buckle. I also thickened the belt

Last edited by MadGypsy; 02-11-2014, 11:13 PM.

Comment

got bored and started adding a body

I also added some pics to my last post

Comment

looks good gypsy
              are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
              > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
              everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Nice pirate shoes

Comment

Nice pirate shoes
                  Well, I'm satisfied. I was exactly trying to make pirate boots and I never told any of you that, so I must have succeeded (considering you just called them that flat out). Put the buckle on the front and it's Santa Claus boots.

I woke up and my computer was acting like shit, so I just spent an hour+ restoring the thing. When I went to start working on my model, it seems I am a couple/few saves behind where I was. That's ok though. That smock thing I was modeling doesn't go with the boots anyway. Imma start over with just boots and unconnected legs (unconnected as in not connected by a taint)

EDIT: Lol, I keep tricking myself, what I'm about to say kept happening to me yesterday too. I'm viewing the images that I posted here at full screen... just staring and thinking about the topology. I eventually press my middle mouse and I'm like "WTF, why wont you rotate!", then I realize I'm not in blender I'm just looking at pictures.

woof
                  Last edited by MadGypsy; 02-12-2014, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Y'all are free to critique this, btw. I'm just wasting time, modeling this more for the hell of it than any actual purpose. If there is something you would like to see me do or change about any of this, just say so.

Also, if you want a copy of the actual pirate boots model, just say so and I'll throw up a link. I didn't bother posting a link cause the pirate version was only supposed to be an example of how my base mesh could be easily customized to make something more dramatic, but if anyone wants/needs it, they may have/use it.

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
                      I eventually press my middle mouse and I'm like "WTF, why wont you rotate!", then I realize I'm not in blender I'm just looking at pictures.

woof
                      The same happens some times to me when i look on my q2er test screens

Comment

it kinda looks like a templer knight. i don't think there is a upgrade for the knight you should make it!

Comment

Latest progress on my "boot". It needs some tweaking but it's coming along. It's supposed to be wearing baggy pants and shirt that are common among pirates and the wrists will be textured to look like they are wrapped

Hmmm, I never really looked at the top view from a full "pan". Looks like I have some issues in the forearm area... I think I just need to grab some edges where the shirt meets the wrap and rotate on the z axis a bit.
                          Last edited by MadGypsy; 02-15-2014, 07:37 AM.

Comment

not sure what to do with the chest area yet

Comment

I modeled in the hands but they aren't right. I'm going to do them over.

I made a bunch of other tweaks:

1) redefined the legs
                              2) added a shirt
                              3) lowered the neckline
                              4) shortened the arms
                              5) minor adjustments to the coat (especially the collar and where the coat falls on his hips)

For this entire model, all the way back to the boot base mesh, I haven't used a single reference, not even simply checking out some external image. I did look at my own ankles once... that's it.

My method is to focus on topology for basic shapes that highly resemble the final intended shape. I don't like drawings of stuff hanging around in the background while I work. I also don't need a drawing to guide me on how to make the shape of (ex) a foot. I know what a foot is shaped like. So, I just get a close shape and worry about edge flow. Once the edge flow is determined I tweak the overall shape into something more refined. Then I go back and work on proportions.

In my opinion you can relax a bit when doing it this way. It doesn't matter if the arms are too long or the legs are fat. What matters is that the edge flow for those things is correct. From there you can easily do some scaling/grabbing/rotating to properly align/proportion your model.

I have another "philosophy" about my method though. Chances are high that if I used a reference image, it would be one that I drew. If you go in edge mode in blender and erase the concept of "3d" from your perception, you are basically just drawing the same lines. In other words, I could draw the reference or I could just draw the whole model. In what situation am I not manipulating lines to create a shape or effect? If I can draw it on paper, why can't I just draw it right there in blender?

In my personal opinion reference material is only good for things you don't understand. Any on you could draw a "foot", whereas the realistic flow of cloth is quite a bit more complex.

Comment

Working...
                              X