Hazard. A Quake/Darkplaces TC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The screenshot function is broken o_O
    So I fired up Fraps and recorded short video to illustrate something that MAY or MAY NOT be intentional...

scratch that, video was straight blackness O_o?? So I'll use Fraps to snag a screenshot!

after 3rd play-through all the way up until that mafakkin smileyface who I can't seem to kill lol, the weapon 3 with the spread like a shotgun, its not under powered, just you gotta get RIGHT UP IN THEIR GRILL to use it effectively, so ignore the above comment about it being weak.

here is the spot I am talking about ~ FUCK, scratch that,.... I tried recording a mini avi with Fraps and it also turned out black only, wtf?
    even the FRAPS screenshot was pure pitch blackness, so I'll play in window mode and PRINTSCREEN! More than one way to skin a fn cat brah, and I'm determined to fn skin that cat

Here kitty kitty kitty.....
    Success! Damn, IDK why Fraps was spitting out straight black images. I'm going to try Darkplaces DX9 renderer next and see if it breaks your game and/or allows screenshots to be taken without them being blacked out! Uploading the screenshot right now @ imgur lol.

Sorry for the extended desktop ignore the right section of the picture, I'm feeling lazy after failing to snag the Screenshot/Video multiple times lol.

I drew two dinky little yellow arrows pointing at incomplete flooring. the strips that hug the wall do not fully appear, a two strips of fall-to-death exist along those walls.

So far you've put together a rather enjoyable game. Some other notes to add

-You're allowed to kill the bad guys that trap you @ the beginning , I can only manage to kill one though in the time allotted before I'm whisked away to the next level! I recieve 1 AI deleted of 3, are we supposed to be able to kill those guys who trap you? or is killing them just frill? I assume we're supposed to be able to kill the baddies cuz it lists them as either 0 or 3 AI deleted or 1 of 3 AI deleted in the event you can kill one before next map loading.

I'll give this a rest for now as I don't want to overload you or come off incorrectly like I'm dissecting your game down to the nitty gritty. Also, this has nothing to do with your TC mod of Quake1, but when I alt tab I lose +mlook function. This happens also in Darkplaces generic usage in Q1.

I'm gonna attempt the DX9 renderer in Darkplaces and report back my findings, THEN I'll give it a rest for awhile hah. I almost forgot I wanted to test that out!
    Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 08-01-2014, 08:12 AM.
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

vid_dx9 1 then vid_restart , it crashed when I did vid_restart but I fired the game back up and TA DA, its working like a charm! And not to mention that load times was cut down, I noticed a quicker transition from level to level. AFAI noticed not a single thing broke when enabling the DX9 renderer, good shit ! check it out for yourself and lemme know what you think about that setting. On my end it was a flawless transition,minus that 1 crash,and that isn't even happening now, I can't reproduce it. Coulda been something wonky on my end, who knows!
      Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
        The screenshot function is broken o_O
        So I fired up Fraps and recorded short video to illustrate something that MAY or MAY NOT be intentional...

scratch that, video was straight blackness O_o?? So I'll use Fraps to snag a screenshot!

after 3rd play-through all the way up until that mafakkin smileyface who I can't seem to kill lol, the weapon 3 with the spread like a shotgun, its not under powered, just you gotta get RIGHT UP IN THEIR GRILL to use it effectively, so ignore the above comment about it being weak.

here is the spot I am talking about ~ FUCK, scratch that,.... I tried recording a mini avi with Fraps and it also turned out black only, wtf?
        even the FRAPS screenshot was pure pitch blackness, so I'll play in window mode and PRINTSCREEN! More than one way to skin a fn cat brah, and I'm determined to fn skin that cat

Here kitty kitty kitty.....
        Success! Damn, IDK why Fraps was spitting out straight black images. I'm going to try Darkplaces DX9 renderer next and see if it breaks your game and/or allows screenshots to be taken without them being blacked out! Uploading the screenshot right now @ imgur lol.

Sorry for the extended desktop ignore the right section of the picture, I'm feeling lazy after failing to snag the Screenshot/Video multiple times lol.

[imaged ommitted to save space]
        I drew two dinky little yellow arrows pointing at incomplete flooring. the strips that hug the wall do not fully appear, a two strips of fall-to-death exist along those walls.

So far you've put together a rather enjoyable game. Some other notes to add

-You're allowed to kill the bad guys that trap you @ the beginning , I can only manage to kill one though in the time allotted before I'm whisked away to the next level! I recieve 1 AI deleted of 3, are we supposed to be able to kill those guys who trap you? or is killing them just frill? I assume we're supposed to be able to kill the baddies cuz it lists them as either 0 or 3 AI deleted or 1 of 3 AI deleted in the event you can kill one before next map loading.

I'll give this a rest for now as I don't want to overload you or come off incorrectly like I'm dissecting your game down to the nitty gritty. Also, this has nothing to do with your TC mod of Quake1, but when I alt tab I lose +mlook function. This happens also in Darkplaces generic usage in Q1.

I'm gonna attempt the DX9 renderer in Darkplaces and report back my findings, THEN I'll give it a rest for awhile hah. I almost forgot I wanted to test that out!
        No, please, give me as much feedback as you can and I will try to address it. It's really helpful stuff.

Ok, the blue areas that are teleport floors don't fill in completely, all that happens when you trigger the terminals is create a 4 square wide bridge across them. The smallest gaps (like in your screen shot) leave a one square gap either side. there are bigger gaps but the bridge size is standardised. Believe me when I say, there are no gaps that are not left on purpose. you can utilise these at times to teleport yourself out of harm's way or just to save time. The teleport floors are a dotted blue grid line that are animated. It could be that I run my monitor brighter, maybe? You could try increasing the brightness a bit if you can't see them.

Playing on the standard mode removes any time limit imposed by "Evil Otto" because he is not present. So you can take more time to find the secret areas that are present in every level from Haz02 : First test "Use what you have learned..." onwards. Only by finding the secret can you take out all the enemies on that level. Oh, and Otto doesn't start till the level after that anyway. If you do play through on Hard first, the secrets are valuable as they reward you with items/ammo.
        Evil Otto is killable but best avoided as he is a damage sponge. In Bezerk he was invincible.

With Darkplaces, to take a screenshot I use F12 (I think?) then tab out, then tab back in and press F12 again. only on the second F12 does it actually take a shot.
        It's strange and I have no idea why it happens that way.

Thanks again for your efforts, I hope it's not too frustrating for you.

[I can't wait for you to try RunOver, it's difficulty spikes are the stuff of legend]
        Username : Atomic Robokid on Steam

Please check out my Quake made things:

https://www.indiedb.com/games/run-over
        https://adam-freeman.itch.io/hazard
        https://adam-freeman.itch.io/diver
        https://adam-freeman.itch.io/beyond

Comment

what I meant was they are too blended together, but as I said before its nothing some patience can't fix lol. (this is my own short comings, literally every game I play online/offline, run in guns blazing and the such)

this can easily be summed up to PEBKAC issue, I was just suggesting some form of contrasting between empty floor spots and existing floor spots.

and about frustrating? NAAAAH, the frustrating thing I come across with Darkplaces is when I alt tab out of DP, and I alt tab back in, mouse support goes out the window nearly every time, and this is true with any Darkplaces variants I use.

I'll admit you've definitely produced a challenging game. I die quite a bit in this game, which I'm not accustom to,even with my run-and-gun mentality, I keep scraping my dead carcass off the ground and starting over HEH

keep up the good work!

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
            what I meant was they are too blended together, but as I said before its nothing some patience can't fix lol. (this is my own short comings, literally every game I play online/offline, run in guns blazing and the such)

this can easily be summed up to PEBKAC issue, I was just suggesting some form of contrasting between empty floor spots and existing floor spots.

and about frustrating? NAAAAH, the frustrating thing I come across with Darkplaces is when I alt tab out of DP, and I alt tab back in, mouse support goes out the window nearly every time, and this is true with any Darkplaces variants I use.

I'll admit you've definitely produced a challenging game. I die quite a bit in this game, which I'm not accustom to,even with my run-and-gun mentality, I keep scraping my dead carcass off the ground and starting over HEH

keep up the good work!
            Thanks again.
            What kind of cake would you prefer?
            =)

Adam.

Comment

lol , can't accept cake yet. Haven't beaten the game

I always keep asking people if they wanna 'bake a qake?' ha ha ha, you're cake comment was a quick reminder about BAKING QAKE's

Comment

You have to run your way back to shoot them. It's the only way.
                Run your way back?! Impossible. I officially hate that level and am done playing the game. There is no fucking way to get from the buttons all the way up to the doors in the couple of little seconds you give. Not to mention that I'm not even sure I have enough ammo.

Booooo - game was awesome til you completely changed gameplay. If you didn't want to bake cakes you could have just not said you would instead of making the last level impossible.

If I sound disgruntled it's because I wasted a lot of time playing your game just to be fucked in the end by a level you can't pass.

Here is a screenshot. Hit the pressure pad and fell in the blue (all in one fluid motion) then hauled ass back...this is how far you get with only one second left.

this doesn't work either

@mindz - screenshot not working (F12 style)

Check - C:\Users\YOU\Saved Games\darkplaces\Clu\screenshots

Saved = if available (in XP it's just Games and in Win 8.1 it's Saved Games. I don't know where it was changed in the OS's between)
                Last edited by MadGypsy; 08-01-2014, 03:55 PM.
                http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

I figured it out

svcheats 1, restart, noclip - your little power rod thingies weren't powerful enough to stop me. Mwahaha
                  Last edited by MadGypsy; 08-01-2014, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
                    Run your way back?! Impossible.

this doesn't work either [Adam : It soooo does!...]

Saved = if available (in XP it's just Games and in Win 8.1 it's Saved Games. I don't know where it was changed in the OS's between)
                    You cheated!
                    Fair enough tho'
                    =)
                    It is hard, it is the last level.

That second screenshot is how you do it, if you jump into the teleport "sea" it will trigger the blast doors even if you could get back in time.
                    Honestly, all the timings on the buttons are set so that you can get back before the timer runs out.
                    I wouldn't be so cruel as to make it impossible.

Does this mean you're not going to go through it on hard?
                    Come on! most of the teleport floors become kill floors, you would looove it!

Seriously though, Thanks a lot for sticking it out.
                    I really appreciate it.

A.
                    Last edited by Adam; 08-02-2014, 02:03 AM.

Comment

I played this mod in one take out , it was great fun !!!
                      Reminds me of the movie Tron ;-)

You did a nice job on this Adam.

I did finish the last level in 43 seconds tho , no cheats !

Also cool end credits.
                      My servers for the gamers:
                      bigfoot.servequake.com / damage.servequake.com

port 26000 EuroQuake
                      port 26001 EuroQuake Coop

newyork.quakeone.com
                      Offline ATM
                      fvf.servequake.com
                      flanders.servegame.org / flanders.servequake.com
                      Offline ATM
                      newdm.servequake.com
                      port 26010

http://bigfoot.servequake.com (EuroQuake)
                      sigpic

Comment

Very interesting looking project. I try it!
                        Nice work Adam.

Comment

@You cheated! - yes, openly and with no shame, full admittance. However, I only cheated after wasting my life trying to beat the level with no kind of success, not even partial. I even went back and cheated again by doing everything as I'm supposed to except when I get to the power station I just no clip through the wall and shoot it, then noclip again back to normal.

@Does this mean you're not going to go through it on hard? - I can't even legitimately beat easy.

@Honestly, all the timings on the buttons are set so that you can get back before the timer runs out. - well I must just completely suck then cause I have made the run so many times I could do it blindfolded and I run out of time on the last grey bridge no matter which way I go. I've even tried simply rocket jumping back up but that is instant death.

I found every secret, killed every monster and played the game legitimate all the way up to the last three power stations. As far as I'm concerned, I finished the game. I don't expect cake.
                          Last edited by MadGypsy; 08-03-2014, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Polarite View Post
                            I played this mod in one take out , it was great fun !!!
                            Reminds me of the movie Tron ;-)

You did a nice job on this Adam.

I did finish the last level in 43 seconds tho , no cheats !

Also cool end credits.
                            Wow, I bet you could speedrun the whole game in 10 mins using the teleport floors.
                            Did you try hard mode? "Evil Otto" joins in after 90 seconds. Not that would matter to you! you would be long gone>>>>>
                            Thanks a lot for playing through it.
                            =)

Originally posted by webangel View Post
                            Very interesting looking project. I try it!
                            Nice work Adam.
                            Thanks!

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
                            @You cheated! - yes, openly and with no shame, full admittance. However, I only cheated after wasting my life trying to beat the level with no kind of success, not even partial. I even went back and cheated again by doing everything as I'm supposed to except when I get to the power station I just no clip through the wall and shoot it, then noclip again back to normal.

@Does this mean you're not going to go through it on hard? - I can't even legitimately beat easy.

@Honestly, all the timings on the buttons are set so that you can get back before the timer runs out. - well I must just completely suck then cause I have made the run so many times I could do it blindfolded and I run out of time on the last grey bridge no matter which way I go. I've even tried simply rocket jumping back up but that is instant death.

I found every secret, killed every monster and played the game legitimate all the way up to the last three power stations. As far as I'm concerned, I finished the game. I don't expect cake.
                            I really appreciate you playing through it, especially finding all the secrets!
                            That's well beyond the call of duty as far as I am concerned. You deserve the special secret cake with Belgium chocolate!

Regarding your earlier comment, the r_speeds are completely obliterated on the last level. I just wanted to do it. What I created was not meant for a portal based engine.
                            I relied on brute force to make it happen. If it ran badly for you, I'm sorry about that.
                            Last edited by Adam; 08-03-2014, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Regarding your earlier comment, the r_speeds...
                              Argh, ya got me. I erased the comment cause I've been feeling eternally annoyed lately and I felt the comment was nothing more than me bitching. You're fast - that comment wasn't up 5 minutes.

Make it a New York style cheese cake and you got a deal. You can even have half. (cause I'm not a junk food junkie)

Comment

Hello Adam,

That is a refreshing new game/idea which reminds me a bit of Tron.
                                Keep up the good work and best of luck with Unity

Comment

Working...
                                X