Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mindf!3ldzX
    replied
    It's okay, most of us don't sweat it! I have downloaded 1.1, will check it out 1st thing in the morning!

Leave a comment:

• Adam
    replied
    Thanks Mindz & Primal for checking out the Destructoid review.
    (Apologies for being slack and not saying this earlier).

Updated post with Destructoid, gamejolt & indie bytes links.

Utterly shameless self promotion.

Leave a comment:

• PrimalLove
    replied
    Congrats Adam!!

Leave a comment:

• Mindf!3ldzX
    replied
    Originally posted by Adam View Post
    Congrats! I made sure to leave my thumbs up response!

Leave a comment:

• Adam
    replied
    Featured on Destructoid!

=)

Leave a comment:

• PrimalLove
    replied
    Originally posted by Adam View Post
    @Primal:

It's good to hear you also found a way around "Evil Otto". In Bezerk he was invincible, maybe I should increase his health amount. Although already lots of people have found him frustrating.

Adam
    Wha? Just make him invincible then! In Quake C that is simple. Use DAMAGE_NO./ w00t! It's much like when you use SOLID_NOT or SOLID_SLIDEBOX in the creatures animations. What is even more neat about using this is you could easily add it to all animations accept maybe when it fires. That could be it's vulnerable time and thus it will be killable only during that time which is very brief. Then give a cool reward if they are able to kill him. Food for thought.

I finally got to download 1.1!! I'm testing it today! Feedback soon! Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• Adam
    replied
    Hazard version 1.11 update is now live. Please see original post in this thread for details.

Thanks for all your support,

Adam

Leave a comment:

• Adam
    replied
    @Primal:

Thanks a lot for playing through, Sorry that the crossover between two versions caught you. Thanks for the code, I'll look into that. It's good to hear you also found a way around "Evil Otto". In Bezerk he was invincible, maybe I should increase his health amount. Although already lots of people have found him frustrating. That's why it's best to play through on standard mode first because he's not included.

I'm really glad you enjoyed Run Over, it really needs some TLC. I hope to update that next before moving onto my next project.

Best regards,

Adam

Leave a comment:

• PrimalLove
    replied
    I just played your new version 1.1! It's nice. Firstly you fixed the no grenade splash damage which is nice! I like the new HUD. Your AI could use some more lead in shooting to make them better at aiming. The are shooting slow moving projectiles so it makes their aim even worse. Not sure how your code looks without the source but I can tell you that if you are using Quake C you'll know that finding the player's next available location isn't easy to do for the AI. But calculating next location of the player is as simple as using velocity. So because velocity is a vector is Quake C you can add it to the origin and boom! Target leading shots. The code would look something like this:

Code:
    	if (self.enemy.velocity)
    		return normalize( (self.enemy.origin + (self.enemy.velocity * 0.6) ) -      self.origin);

return normalize(self.enemy.origin - self.origin);
    And basically you'd use it where ever you have your enemy AI aiming code. This would make your hard mode even harder

The Containment Protocol Pac-man looking thing gets easily stuck on corners and can be easily taken out with a simple lightsaber with little to do effort. This is because of his more or less direct pathing, so once he sees you and you had behind a wall, he will hug the wall to the end and often stop and try to pursue you even though he hasn't cleared the wall and will just basically sit there while you hack away. Easily fixable. Might consider adding some strafing to your AI to make them a bit tougher. Quake C has a function called ai_slide () that does just that. And the yellow heavy guys could use a distance attack. Some times enemies just won't fire if you are close to them. It might have to do with their view distance/angle. The may simply not see me and cannot move because I'm blocking them. Dunno for sure.

The gibbing is also nicely done! Not sure if it's intentional but the homing bombs fly up to the camera after the level is complete that they are left behind. It's pretty neat. The level progression is nice too. Puzzles and platforming get a bit tougher as you go. Can certainly see some Run Off influence here. hehe. So far really loving it. Haven't beaten it yet. But soon! Thanks again!

Leave a comment:

• PrimalLove
    replied
    Hi Adam,

@Hazard

I haven't beaten Hazard yet but so far spot on with Beserk. Really enjoying the soundtrack. A top down version would have been great! For some C code example of this being used in DP check out Battlemech

As for your containment protocol!!!!

I made quick work of it with my saber! It says killed the Shambler :/ LOL.

When I finish it I'll give you some more feedback! Cheers.

@Run Over

This game is quite nice and surprisingly fun! It almost felt like mario but quake style Soundtrack was enjoyable but I felt the tempo for some of the levels could have been better to really get the player in the rhythm. For a great example of this in a game I quite enjoy is The Impossible Game on iOS. It is a absolutely phenomenal soundtrack for such a simple game. I also thoroughly enjoyed the climbing part surprisingly. This type of platforming is usually quite a nightmare in quake style FPS's but your use of stoppers was spot on brilliant! Made it do able yet still challenging without the need to rage quit! LoL! Platforming mostly done right here. Enjoyed the ending!

Leave a comment:

• Adam
    replied
    Originally posted by Pringles Man View Post
    Hey, I just want to tell you that I've played through this game and I would like to leave some detailed feedback. I guess I will start with the things I enjoyed most about the game and talk about its flaws later. The first thing I liked about this game was the consistent use of its "hardware" theme and style. The blue grids, the floppy disks, and those shootable memory towers made me feel that the battle was going on in a computer. The guns and weapons were really fun and memorable (especially the grenades), and the use of intro text really tied the levels closer to some sort of grand plot that was unfolding, making it more interesting and less pointless. Not to mention it gave me a feeling of assertiveness and generally being in control because it gave me a clear objective. The explosion animation is also a very nice and fitting replacement of the original.
    Thanks a lot for that, I'm glad you had fun with it.

I will now attempt to not dodge too many bullets:
    As much I enjoyed the game, the bad things about it deserve a spotlight as well. I really didn't enjoy the way each level was just so linear. And with the way the the textures are so uniform and there is no unique architecture, it's VERY easy to get lost for new players, even with the linear design of the levels.
    The points you make are very valid but the basic nature of its design is intentional.
    It is after all 3D Berzerk.
    Quick and easy to access like an arcade game. As a one-man-band I have to keep it simple otherwise I get stuck on details for hours (and hours...) and never get anywhere. Regarding the mazes, the feedback I have collected so far is split between players who think the levels are too basic and those who get a bit lost. I will definitely consider some sign posting if it tips that way.

The music was OK, I guess,
    Wolfgun does some amazing stuff. Please take a listen to his Lights album.
    I take full responsibility for Hazard's soundtrack, I wanted it more basic and chip tune like to fit the style. I guess you either like it or hate it, as is your preference.

but the sound is the main problem because the volume levels are inconsistent. If you turn your volume up to hear the jump sound better, the gun sounds might scare the crap out of you.
    Apologies, hopefully I will get better at this with practice. Just to get them to this low standard, it takes me ages, sourcing, cutting, converting & testing. It's a learning process.

The enemies seemed bland compared to the level of detail put into the guns and to some extent-the pickups.
    I did try and design them to inhabit the same world. The enemies and weapons I do intend on improving as I learn more tricks in Blender (THANKS TO DUTCH!!!) I do want to keep it bold, simple and colourful though, as it's easier when you're running around to identify things.

Their animations seemed too rudimentary as well. Finally, the sounds they played along with each action were too long, often causing one sound to overlap another. And you can't hear what they say most of the time because you're too far away and constantly on the move (something you want to always do when faced with an enemy in any game)
    Thanks for noting that. Definitely room for improvement.

With things like Quake you have to be extra-careful too because your character is deaf in one ear for reasons which I to this day cannot explain. While I admit it was fun to kill them and a lot of the sounds they played were amusing, they need work. And finally, as much as I liked the weapons, there really wasn't that much ammo for me to enjoy them to their full potential. I found that I was conserving ammo 90% of the time while using the single-barreled blue pistol...
    Weapon and ammo balancing is really hard and changes from player to player.
    Feedback should help me fine tune this.
    It would be really helpful to know if you played on Standard or Hard mode? And did you make use of the secrets?
    Also did you play through to the end of the game?

Either way, that's my honest opinion.
    I respect that, thanks.
    This detailed feedback is incredibly helpful.

It's got potential, but there are things you ought to improve. Great work so far on your project, Adam, and I wish it the best. I am very interested to see where this goes, so keep us posted.
    Thanks so much for spending the time to play my creation.
    I really appreciate it.

Leave a comment:

• Pringles Man
    replied
    Hey, I just want to tell you that I've played through this game and I would like to leave some detailed feedback. I guess I will start with the things I enjoyed most about the game and talk about its flaws later. The first thing I liked about this game was the consistent use of its "hardware" theme and style. The blue grids, the floppy disks, and those shootable memory towers made me feel that the battle was going on in a computer. The guns and weapons were really fun and memorable (especially the grenades), and the use of intro text really tied the levels closer to some sort of grand plot that was unfolding, making it more interesting and less pointless. Not to mention it gave me a feeling of assertiveness and generally being in control because it gave me a clear objective. The explosion animation is also a very nice and fitting replacement of the original.

As much I enjoyed the game, the bad things about it deserve a spotlight as well. I really didn't enjoy the way each level was just so linear. And with the way the the textures are so uniform and there is no unique architecture, it's VERY easy to get lost for new players, even with the linear design of the levels. The music was OK, I guess, but the sound is the main problem because the volume levels are inconsistent. If you turn your volume up to hear the jump sound better, the gun sounds might scare the crap out of you. The enemies seemed bland compared to the level of detail put into the guns and to some extent-the pickups. Their animations seemed too rudimentary as well. Finally, the sounds they played along with each action were too long, often causing one sound to overlap another. And you can't hear what they say most of the time because you're too far away and constantly on the move (something you want to always do when faced with an enemy in any game). With things like Quake you have to be extra-careful too because your character is deaf in one ear for reasons which I to this day cannot explain. While I admit it was fun to kill them and a lot of the sounds they played were amusing, they need work. And finally, as much as I liked the weapons, there really wasn't that much ammo for me to enjoy them to their full potential. I found that I was conserving ammo 90% of the time while using the single-barreled blue pistol...Either way, that's my honest opinion.

It's got potential, but there are things you ought to improve. Great work so far on your project, Adam, and I wish it the best. I am very interested to see where this goes, so keep us posted.
    Last edited by Pringles Man; 08-06-2014, 03:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Adam
    replied
    Originally posted by Seven View Post
    Hello Adam,

That is a refreshing new game/idea which reminds me a bit of Tron.
    Keep up the good work and best of luck with Unity
    Thanks!

Did you like the transparent HUD? No reason I asked that, juuuuust wondering.

Leave a comment:

• Seven
    replied
    Hello Adam,

That is a refreshing new game/idea which reminds me a bit of Tron.
    Keep up the good work and best of luck with Unity

Leave a comment:

• MadGypsy
    replied
    Regarding your earlier comment, the r_speeds...
    Argh, ya got me. I erased the comment cause I've been feeling eternally annoyed lately and I felt the comment was nothing more than me bitching. You're fast - that comment wasn't up 5 minutes.

Make it a New York style cheese cake and you got a deal. You can even have half. (cause I'm not a junk food junkie)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X