No announcement yet.

R u b i c on r u m bl e p a c k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you play vanilla Quake with Quakespasm?
    Scout's Journey
    Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Originally posted by ijed View Post
      The engine isn't included since it would have to be removed from the archive when later updated.

While there is a point to be made for usability and archiving, the additional work here is making a separate download - players would still have to install etc.

In my experience, once engine coders have a reason to support new mapping features like BSP2 or fence textures, they do so

Note that although 2PSB -/+ BSP2 existed, they wasn't much of a testing ground; we hit problems with breaching limits and vanishing entities a lot of the time - thanks to EricW for fixing them

As is usual for mod projects, our testing was limited by access to hardware.
      Nice neat packages that come ready to go out of box are never a bad idea, even if an engine update occurs. Getting the product in the hands of the gamer and getting the gamer playing the game are paramount.

Even if you toss a disclaimer into it saying "Hey, this works as-is. Updating the engine that came with the mod/game could break it" would cover that base,and would result in less confusion.

I'll go out on a limb and say I'm not the only one who prefers instructions that go like this...

-Extract
      -Play
      Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I reloaded windows and still get the same error message about quakespam..?
        Anything else..?

Comment

Can i download the engine from someplace..? One that works..?

Comment

Downloading File /Windows/quakespasm-0.85.8_windows.zip - QuakeSpasm - SourceForge.JP

Download DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) from Official Microsoft Download Center

Download Platform Update for Windows 7 from Official Microsoft Download Center

Install both DX9 and DX11 just to be safe. It's possible that the default offering of DirectX that came with your Window is lacking.
            I'm betting the version of Quakespasm that you have is just fine though, if it was fatally flawed someone would have pointed it out by now.

I'm just assuming your using Windows7 with the basic DX9/DX11 offerings, sorry if I'm mistaken.
            Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

He needs that special version of Quakespasm for this pack, unless it has been released as stable by now.

Please tell me if you can run vanilla Quake with Quakespasm, I'm asking to see if just this pack fails or your entire Quake install. Because your error message means that QS can#t find the pak files, so you have an installation problem.

Edit: Also, I kinda think the authors of this pack could perhaps help people with these problems :-s
              Scout's Journey
              Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

To be fair to the authors, we do not know anything about the QS version, computer or OS lentmain is using. Saying he tried to "install" and got an error message is extremely unhelpful! You would get that error trying to run the engine/mod! Not "installing" it.

If he wants more robust help he should provide more robust information.

I to had a problem, was told what to use and... I downloaded, extracted then dual booted into Win7 and played without a hitch.

BTW, the last link that Mindf!3ldzX posted for QuakeSpasm in the incorrect version
                Last edited by damage_inc; 09-27-2014, 10:38 PM.
                Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

lentmain's problem is not that he/she has the wrong engine version (at least not yet) but that he/she has a b0rked Quake install.
                  Scout's Journey
                  Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

See below post, follow the instructions, skip none, do them in order!

*****Notes are included as well, I supplied images to assist you and anyone else who needs them.
                    Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 09-28-2014, 01:55 AM.

Comment

FIRST
                      -Made folder Quake
                      -Downloaded quakespasm-0.85.10-r980_win64.zip to Quake folder
                      -Extracted quakespasm-0.85.10-r980_win64.zip contents to Quake folder
                      -Created ID1 folder inside Quake folder
                      -dropped pak0.pak & pak1.pak into the ID1 folder
                      -double click quakespasm.exe inside Quake folder
                      Quakespasm works with vanilla Quake as expected! (SUCCESS!)

SECOND
                      -downloaded rrp.zip to the same Quake folder!
                      -extracted rrp.zip to its own folder inside Quake folder!
                      -right click quakespasm.exe inside Quake folder, create shortcut!
                      -right click the shortcut just created, click properties!
                      -modified the shortcut to look like this..

-Hit Apply, then hit Okay!
                      Double click the shortcut. (SUCCESS!)

That's all that needs to be done, if those steps fail you, then I don't know. PEBKAC issue?

****Note, when extracting quakespasm-0.85.10-r980_win64.zip , it stuffed it into its own folder (D:\Games\Quake\quakespasm-0.85.10-r980_win64\ ), which is incorrect and could be the issue at hand.

Here's a picture of the folder structuring.

If your Quake,ID1,and RRP folders do not look like this, then MAKE them look like that!

*****Note, substitute the 64bit flavor for the 32bit flavor if you aren't running 64bit OS.
                      Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 09-28-2014, 01:59 AM.

Comment

Thumbs up Mindz. That should help.
                        Scout's Journey
                        Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

I unzipped it into Darkplaces quake and it starts up ok if i add the extra to the target line in darkplaces properties... As you run it...it warbles and some places seem to melt while your in the green stuff, below the walkways....
                          Darkplaces runs great.. Extreme detail... MMMM.. Very nice...
                          My quake is still at 1.06, i believe... Maybe i need an upgrade to 1.09, like i had before...

Comment

The QS version is the latest one, sent to me... The computer is a dimension 8400 with a 3.8 Processor Pentium 4 w/ HT and 4 gb of memory (800).... Win 7 with Norton IS, updated fully by Microsoft and Office 2007...
                            All in a new, clean install....
                            QS would not install into quake, but it did unzip into quake Darkplaces, i guess it has an updated "engine" , needed for this game...

Comment

No..., it's new, fresh and working, thank you very much....

Comment

Originally posted by lentmain View Post
                                I unzipped it into Darkplaces quake and it starts up ok if i add the extra to the target line in darkplaces properties... As you run it...it warbles and some places seem to melt while your in the green stuff, below the walkways....
                                Darkplaces runs great.. Extreme detail... MMMM.. Very nice...
                                My quake is still at 1.06, i believe... Maybe i need an upgrade to 1.09, like i had before...
                                Did you even bother reading my post? Not that I invested much time into it , but come on bro.... I did everything except play the game for you haha.

Comment

Working...
                                X