R u b i c on r u m bl e p a c k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lentmain View Post
    The QS version is the latest one, sent to me... The computer is a dimension 8400 with a 3.8 Processor Pentium 4 w/ HT and 4 gb of memory (800).... Win 7 with Norton IS, updated fully by Microsoft and Office 2007...
    All in a new, clean install....
    QS would not install into quake, but it did unzip into quake Darkplaces, i guess it has an updated "engine" , needed for this game...
    Incorrect.

as per my instructions, the problem isn't with Quakespasm. The version of Quake (1.06) is irrelevant, that is referring to the version of Quake.exe and has nothing to do with what you are trying to accomplish.

Drop everything you are doing, follow the instructions that I'm hoping I didn't waste 19minutes of my time trying to help you only to be ignored. Please and thankyou? Does that warrant anything?
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Neither my ID1 nor my rrp folders have a generated config.cfg file in them... Yet they both play... I made a autoexec.cfg file for my joystick.., but there is no config.cfg file..
      Isn't one supposed to be generated when running win7..? Maybe it is a hidden file..?

Comment

i did try it... And thank you for all of your time helping me through this... It really is appreciated.... I know most of you here have thousands of hours working with gaming...
        I do not....
        This was the second to the last game i bought before being layed up in a hospital for 15 years... Quake 2 was my last... Really..., I love this gaming stuff... I just am getting back to it kind of late.... Sorry...

Comment

Neither my ID1 nor my rrp folders have a generated config.cfg file in them... Yet they both play... I made a autoexec.cfg file for my joystick.., but there is no config.cfg file..
          Isn't one supposed to be generated when running win7..? Maybe it is a hidden file..?
          It's generated automatically the 1st time you fire up Quakespasm (or another engine)
          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Here's what I found from my own setup trying to duplicate his problem( "W_LoadWadFile; couldn't load gfx.wad").

E:\Quake\
            -----------\id1
            -----------\rrp

I removed the .pak files(both pak0 and pak1) from my id1 directory.

First, If I double click my Quakespasm Windows shortcut I created that has the rrp command line options of: " -game rrp -heapsize 256000 -zone 4096" Quakespasm reports:

"You must have the registered version to use modified games."

NOW... if I simply double click on the Quakespasm executable, no command line options, it throws the exact error message lentmain is posting about. Error:

"W_Loadwadfile; couldn't load gfx.wad"

I'll reiterate what Baker posted about this very same thing 3 1/2 years ago:

"The message you get indicates that the engine cannot find the pak0.pak and pak1.pak files.

... the issue is really quite simple but if you haven't had to mess with the problem in a while it can be a bit challenging
            "

This has nothing to do with config files, Quake's version, your Windows installation or anything else really...

Good luck,
            - damage_
            Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

I didn't see all the posts until now, sorry.

And it seems like following Minds' instruction will get you up and running easily enough.

As to the preferred installation being a single button click, yes that'd be great. But will never ever happen.

No matter how easy you make something to do it is almost always wasted effort.

Over the years I've had emails that defy belief when it comes to a lack of common sense and refusal to read the documentation, posts in reply to their posts, direct emails saying categorically what to do, instant messages sent in real time to baby walk them through and so on.

My favorite ones are those asking me what to do with a zip file.

Would it be great if things were easier and people could get playing with less fuss and technical knowledge? YES!

Do I want to put myself through the post release QA process... not really.

It's a free mod bigger than many games. Maybe 50% of people who download it will play it. I could raise that to 55% if I really wanted to, but the return from the extra effort required would be negligible.

Lentmain - this isn't an attack against you, I hope you can resolve the problem and have fun with the pack. As Mind's says, this sounds like a problem with your folder structure since the engine simply cannot find the data. I'm guessing that Darkplaces is able to find it because LordHavoc included some additional folder searching capacities.

Just follow the steps Minds posted and you'll be fine. If you do that and it still doesnt work then post the new error that appears.

Comment

Win 7 with Norton IS, updated fully by Microsoft and Office 2007...
                Protip: Delete the Norton and Office 2007. It won't make your Quake work.

But it will make you a better person and Jesus will give you a thumbs up because that's what he told me he would do if I said this.
                Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

@Baker

AHAHAHAHAHA

Comment

Mindf!3ldzX, Thanks for making that newbie-friendly tutorial in post #25.
                    Couple of suggestions:

- I wouldn’t even bother suggesting the 64-bit binary, there’s no real benefit and it’s another thing that can go wrong if the user’s OS isn’t 64-bit. Might as well make a direct link to: http://quakespasm.sf.net/devel/quake...80_windows.zip
                    - The shortcut is missing “-heapsize 256000 -zone 4096”, without which the mod won’t work

Otherwise looks great!

The quakespasm stable release should be happening sometime in the next couple of weeks. Once it happens I'll try to post reminders in the various release threads.

Comment

Originally posted by ericw View Post
                      Mindf!3ldzX, Thanks for making that newbie-friendly tutorial in post #25.
                      Couple of suggestions:

- I wouldn’t even bother suggesting the 64-bit binary, there’s no real benefit and it’s another thing that can go wrong if the user’s OS isn’t 64-bit. Might as well make a direct link to: http://quakespasm.sf.net/devel/quake...80_windows.zip
                      - The shortcut is missing “-heapsize 256000 -zone 4096”, without which the mod won’t work

Otherwise looks great!

The quakespasm stable release should be happening sometime in the next couple of weeks. Once it happens I'll try to post reminders in the various release threads.
                      While this might be true for others, in my experience (extremely limited with RRC) , heapsize and zone was not required. The mod loaded fine and played fine so far so good. Truth told I haven't allocated memory to a quake engine/client in ages,as IIRC most newer engines and clients dynamically just grab whats needed,as needed.

I didn't include zone and heapsizes simple because I didn't need them, the game/mod ran flawlessly without them.

btw, I love helping Quakers. There is a natural balance between helping players and getting satisfaction from it. It's extremely rare that balance is disrupted, and when it does get unbalanced I just divert more effort into where its needed.

Comment

I know what you mean, I get used to not increasing the memory settings, and it's annoying to have to do it.

But in this case it's needed for the entire pack to run properly; at least telefragged.bsp won't load with the default heapsize in the RRP quakespasm build. Without the zone memory increase, you'll get random crashes when loading autosaves in telefragged.bsp.

Comment

I have been playing it, ijed... It's soooo big... lots of places to get killed...
                          Thanks to all of you for helping me get some of this going..
                          It doesn't seem you can use a joystick in Rubicon...?
                          ok....
                          Thanks again ...

Comment

Well Baker... I hate to say it.., but Jesus wasn't there a single minute during my time off... It seems he was too busy partying......

Comment

I never used joystick for FPS gaming, it might be tough to transition to M+KB but I highly recommend you do that. I can help you immensely with that type of configuration.

Comment

JoyToKey and Xpadder would be your best options to getting it to work in Quakespasm as I do not believe it has controller support at this time. Tho the Rift version I believe does. (Oculus Rift)

Both of these allow you to set up profiles for your joystick. I believe you have the 3d extreme? Here is an image to use for that joystick in Xpadder for making a profile.

If I had the controller I'd make a profile for you. Maybe if I knew all the axis information. But xpadder and joytokey are pretty easy to set up. Then you can use it to play basically any quake engine with your joystick regardless of engine support as this method emulates mouse movement and keybinds.

Comment

Working...
                                X