Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free your view_weapons

Hello,

As some of you maybe know, I am always searching and trying to bring a little bit more life and variety into Quake. Being a great fan of idle weapon animations (like used in Unreal, Quake 2 or other newer shooters), and having the request to be able to freely position the view_weapons in Quake (center or near left or far right or wherever you want), I started this small mod and tried to find a way for it.

The only precondition was that it must be totally model independent and that it must be fully adjustable, as everybody has different likings/needs.

You can do the following things without editing any model or qc:
    1.) Position your view_weapon models (ID1 or any replacements) to any position individually for each weapon
    2.) Position the weapons projectile/muzzleflash spawn positions to always match your guns mouth
    3.) Enable idle weapon animation which is fully model independent
    4.) Adjust the idle weapon animation to your personal liking (with the following settings):
    4. a) animation speed
    4. b) animation strength/intensity

You can combine points 1 to 4 individually together.

A lot of fine tuning in trying to get a somehow realistic animation behavior was necessary and the code became quite complex. I hope some people will like it.

The result is a idle animation which has a big random factor and never does the same frequence twice, which is good. In my opinion even better than the fixed animation frames of a gun model which is repeating itself endlessly.
    And if you are a friend of right (or left) handed weapon positions, you can do this now.

Hopefully some will find this useful somehow.

Best wishes,
    Seven

DOWNLOAD
    (source is included)

The below clip shows some possible application examples (animation uses default settings, which is adjustable as mentioned above).
    Attention: I recorded the clip with a free version of "fraps", so every 30 seconds I had to restart recording (that is the freeware limit...), which resulted in a "patched" video.

Last edited by Seven; 02-02-2021, 03:42 AM.

This is very interesting! The way it flows, perhaps I'll make a check so it only happens underwater. Seems like it would be much cooler underwater for the weapon to sway. I'll check the code. Nice work! Thanks for sharing as always, Seven!

Comment

Awesome addition! This makes it so easy now Seven!

Comment

interesting feature!

its nice that you made it to be independant of weapon-models used,
        so there is no need for additional copies of weapons which are moved to the side

looking forward to seeing this implented into the SMC
        are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
        > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
        everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Finally! If there's one thing I hated about DP, it's how low some of the weapon positions are.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback and comments.
            I admit, the idle animation is not perfect (the default settings for it (as in the clip) arent for sure). Yes, sometimes less is more... But you can adjust them to be less/subtle or disable the animation completely fortunately.

The main idea was to find a way to get the positions for the view_weapons variable. And this feature works robust. I have heard that some like them just a tiny little bit moved to the right. Not as much as in the video clip example. Maybe half the way back to center. The y_offset (see autoexec.cfg) values are the important ones for that.

Originally posted by PrimalLove View Post
            Seems like it would be much cooler underwater for the weapon to sway.
            If you only want to have the animation underwater, you have to change 2 things:
            1.) Add this at the beginning of idle_weapon_animation () :
            Code:
            if (self.owner.waterlevel < 3)
            	return;
            2.) Replace this for each weapon in v_weapon_position_think () :
            Code:
            if ((self.owner.button0) || (self.owner.velocity != '0 0 0'))
            with this:
            Code:
            if (self.owner.button0)
            ... as you want to have the animation while swimming/sinking.
            You should raise the cvars for the animation strength/intense and animation speed to make it more visable.
            Thatīs it.

Originally posted by talisa View Post
            interesting feature!

its nice that you made it to be independant of weapon-models used,
            so there is no need for additional copies of weapons which are moved to the side

looking forward to seeing this implented into the SMC
            The video clip showed the smc.

Originally posted by Bloodshot View Post
            Finally! If there's one thing I hated about DP, it's how low some of the weapon positions are.
            If you want to use the mod to bring the weapons upwards, the z_offset values are the ones you need to adjust (see autoexec.cfg). There is one cvar-set for each weapon, so you can finetune the positions individually.

By the way, someone forgot this line in the _think function:
            Code:
            	if (intermission_running)
            	{	
            		remove (self);
            		return;
            	}
            I wonder who that was...

Kind regards.

Comment

its like cl_bob (or what ever it is called) but better! i always thought its the little things that make a difference.

Comment

Hello Josh,

The cl_bob and its many sub-cvars are active when the player is moving.
                The idea behind this small mod was to have something similar when standing still (idling).
                The other part of the idea was to be able to move your view_weapons to any position.

And I fully agree with you: Its the little things that make a difference

Best wishes.

Comment

Working...
                X