Quake Painskins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake Painskins

This small mod is dedicated to my old friends webangel and gdiddy62, who requested it a long time ago.

What does this mod do ?

It adds painskins to Quake. Independent to the used monster model/skin/replacement files.
    The painskins are spawned in 2 steps:
    - when health drops below 100% --> moderate injury/blood visual
    - when health drops below 50% --> seriously wounded visual

The painskins transparency are adjustable via cvar.

It adds painskins to every monster (except zombie for known reasons).
    Included painskins are SAMPLES. Improve them if you do not like them.
    You can use the same painskins for all monsters, or individual painskins for each monster type.
    This mod allows you to do both. I am lazy, so I did option 1.

It was developed and works with the DarkPlaces engine.

Attention, the in-game visual differs according to your used:
    - lighting in-game
    - monster skins
    I posted screenshots from monsters with and without replacement skins to show their variation. Please find them below, so you do not need to buy a pig in a poke and download them if you do not like. Please excuse the poor quality of them.
    Your in-game visual might differ because of above points.
    I am lazy, so I didnt make screenshots while fighting. I made them post mortum.
    If you are playing vanilla Quake, the painskins blood might be looking too much orange.
    Modify/adjust the painskins to your personal likings. There is no way to satisfy all.

Special Thanks & Credits:
    I included the dog model from capnbubs, as it is superior in every aspect to the original dog.

Feel free to add or use this very small mod in your own mod if you want.
    The source is included, in case you want to read some poor code.

Best wishes. Maybe some people finds it useful.
    Seven

Download

==============================

I just tried to make some comparism screenshots of this mod. That was quite difficult as those minions dont want to hold still. Again, the blood color depends on the used skins and lighting.

From
    - left (without painskin mod or with full health)
    - middle (health just dropped below 100%)
    - right (health just dropped below 50%)

Our brave soldier:

Our brutal ogre:

Some other monsters (post mortem):

Attached Files
    Last edited by Seven; 05-23-2015, 09:56 AM. Reason: Updated shader + re-uploaded screenshots

Thank you my friend! It is good to see you haven't abandoned our beloved Quake!!

Regards~

Comment

Good to see you Seven. Nice mod, it's cool that these classic-type mods are still being made. A lot of people have wanted pain skins over the years.
      Scout's Journey
      Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

nice to see this. Thank you very much Seven.
        You are the best!

and

Originally posted by gdiddy62 View Post

Thank you my friend! It is good to see you haven't abandoned our beloved Quake!!

Regards~

Comment

great to see you again seven!

and its awesome to see you actually implented pain-skins,
          its among one of the features that ive been wanting in quake for years <3
          are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
          > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
          everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Hello,

First of all, pain skins is nothing new in Quake as most of you know.
            The classic way to do it is to switch monsters .skin(s) in their pain function for example.
            That is the best way to do it as it needs no engine extensions and works with vanilla Quake.

The downside is, that it needs dedicated pain skin textures for all monsters. These pain skin textures are modified original textures with blood, scratechs, etc. on them.

And as some of you know, that was exactly the reason why I didnt want to do it that way. Because there are dozens of different monster replacement skins available and nobody knows which monster skins you are using...

Just like the smc, which always focused on replacement-independent features, there had to be another way to bring pain skins into Quake. The way in this mod here unfortunately needs engine extensions, so it is not usable for all engines.
            But it does the job quite good and works well with Darkplaces.
            The mod comes with 2 painskins (painskin0.tga and painskin1.tga) which are used for ALL monster types. The mod also allows, as explained in the opening post, to use 2 painskins for each monster type individually. You only need to modify the painskin names in the shader. That is all. It will look most probably better when doing it that way, as you can position the blood+scratches better suiting to the individual monster.

My personal opinion about pain skins:
            I do not like them too much, as Quake lacks the necessary collision detection due to the simple bboxes. It is not possible to exactly say where the projectiles have hit the models real shape/position. And pain skins will bring up flesh wounds on areas, where you didnt really hit them (when shooting in the "foot" and a wound comes up on the chest").
            But on the other hand, Quake is a really fast paced game and you will not really notice it so much as everything goes so fast...

At least it is now nice to see a "really" wounded dead monster on the floor instead of a monster which looks exactly like before (without any additional blood/wounds/scratches) !

Have fun,
            Seven

Comment

Coll idea! I love bloody monsters
              I followed the instructions and it works great.

But is doesnt work together with smc for me.
              What am I doing wrong? I use the Darkplaces port.

Thank you very much for your work!

Comment

Hello Lacrima,

Let me explain it this way, I hope you do not mind some humor:

We do not need to ask the Oracle about it

You have to make a decison and choose which path you want to go

One pill represents the "small mod compilation". The other the "Painskin mod".

And you can only take one pill at a time... Otherwise weird things can happen

But both sauces ... aehm I mean sources are included, so you can combine them if you want.
                Do not worry, QuakeC is not that complicated.

I just tried to make some comparism screenshots of this mod. That was quite difficult as those minions dont want to hold still. Again, the blood color depends on the used skins and lighting.

From
                - left (without painskin mod or with full health)
                - middle (health just dropped below 100%)
                - right (health just dropped below 50%)

Our brave soldier:

Our brutal ogre:

Comment

Hello,

While implementing the painskin mod into another modification I noticed that the shader can be improved. Before, the monsters skin got a bit darkeneded when the painskins are spawned. That is now no longer the case with the updated shader.

I am sorry for the inconvenience.
                  Please find it attached.

Regards,
                  Seven

PS: Now also the cvar "painskin_transparency" works correctly
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X