Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Abyss of Pandemonium: new, improved and reforged!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, that is what Quake does to us.
    Quake is kind of magic. When you get in touch with it one time, it will not let you go.
    Even many years later you still feel the need to get back to it.
    There are not many games that do this.

Is it a curse or a blessing ? I do not know

=================================

Originally posted by Blood Vengeance View Post
    Yes but I don't know with which models replace them.
    I am sure you have a .mdl model viewer. Like QME or Noesis.
    As you know, the mod asset is within the .pak files.
    So what you want to do is to assign .mdl files with your favorite model viewer, open the mods .pak or .pk3, or go directly into a subdirectory if it has one and open the models until you find the ones you are looking for.
    Then add your replacement model into the mod and you are done.

About coding, to me is like an alien language, and til now I was convinced that some stuff can be enabled only by having original source code (for example with torches).
    That is correct. Ones you have the source, you can do everything. Only the sky is the limit so to speak.
    And believe me, it is not an alien language and not that difficult. As long as a monkey like me can do it, you can do it as well.

Yes, I can do Rain (thanks to your tutorial), I've put rain in a map (was lost unfortunately, but I have choosen a small map only for testing purposes) but how to remove the low poly rain in the start map? I have too much to learn yet
    So lets Abyss of Pandemonium be your next lesson then...

I looked into Abyss of Pandemonium again concerning your wish-list:
    All of them are doable and I spent some time on the torches/flames and weapon effects that you mentioned. Concentrated on the napalm thrower weapon as well as some others.
    The napalm projectile undergoes a lot of stages with different particles each:
    flying ... touching ... splitting ... flying ... touching ... burning ... extinguish

I have a first WIP clip to show. Is this OK looking or should I change something ?
    I will bring in ignition & burn sounds into it later on. At the moment concentrate on the visual first:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laZP74p2MsM[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
      Yes, that is what Quake does to us.
      Quake is kind of magic. When you get in touch with it one time, it will not let you go.
      Even many years later you still feel the need to get back to it.
      There are not many games that do this.

Is it a curse or a blessing ? I do not know

I am sure you have a .mdl model viewer. Like QME or Noesis.
      As you know, the mod asset is within the .pak files.
      So what you want to do is to assign .mdl files with your favorite model viewer, open the mods .pak or .pk3, or go directly into a subdirectory if it has one and open the models until you find the ones you are looking for.
      Then add your replacement model into the mod and you are done.

That is correct. Ones you have the source, you can do everything. Only the sky is the limit so to speak.
      And believe me, it is not an alien language and not that difficult. As long as a monkey like me can do it, you can do it as well.

So lets Abyss of Pandemonium be your next lesson then...

I looked into Abyss of Pandemonium again concerning your wish-list:
      All of them are doable and I spent some time on the torches/flames and weapon effects that you mentioned. Concentrated on the napalm thrower weapon as well as some others.
      The napalm projectile undergoes a lot of stages with different particles each:
      flying ... touching ... splitting ... flying ... touching ... burning ... extinguish

I have a first WIP clip to show. Is this OK looking or should I change something ?
      I will bring in ignition & burn sounds into it later on. At the moment concentrate on the visual first:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laZP74p2MsM
      Wow those weapon effects are PERFECT! Regardind models, yes I know how to replace, the fact is that I can't find anything that replace for example the the Stake Gun, and I'd rather to have a lower quality weapon/monster model than an higher quality model that's too different from the original, so at the moment new models aren't the top priority. I also plan in near future to host this mod on Games and mods development for Windows, Linux and Mac - Mod DB and record some videos of AoP Reforged gameplays to post on youtube, too bad many people knows only Abyss of Pandemonium Epsilon (it hasn't RTlights!)
      Make Quake Great Again

Comment

Thanks Blood Vengeance and jakub. It's stunning to learn that Quake and custom maps are still enjoyed 20 years after the game's release.

Comment

Originally posted by mexx View Post
          Thanks Blood Vengeance and jakub. It's stunning to learn that Quake and custom maps are still enjoyed 20 years after the game's release.
          Yes, and I enjoy them more now than almost 20 years ago, because i had no internet connection, and all the quake maps/mods were in cds available with magazines (especially PG Gamer). And both AoP and Mexx9 Penumbra of Domination won the "test of time" and are still played and enjoyed nowadays (you can see lots of gameplays on youtube)
          Make Quake Great Again

Comment

Hello,

Abyss of Pandemonium brings a lot of very good new ideas/features into Quake.
            New weapons as well as new monsters and even enviromental effects.
            I personally like the falling leafs and napalm weapon the most.

Several people already made extension packs (mostly HD stuff) for this mod.
            Blood Vengeance asked me to bring some of them together and realize some other things and stuff.

This mod is the successor of my "AOP - The Final Mission v2.0_extended_20140623" mod from 2014 and adds a lot of new features as well as original AoP and Darkplaces bugfixes. It covers also all points from Blood Vengeance´s "wish-list":

AoP original bugfixes:
            - Legond´s lightining attack spawnes from wrong positions (too low)
            - footstep sounds when walking with low speed / velocity
            - corrects nail position for both nailguns

DarkPlaces related bugfixes:
            - wrong blood particles when shooting monsters
            - visible null.mdl when using AoP´s "laser system" weapons
            - too many blood particles spawn when using lightning gun

Added / Reworked:
            - added different looking lightning-enforcer to make him better distinguishable from regular enforcer
            - added "Previous weapon" (impulse 12) support
            - reworked all existing particle effects and added several new ones (trails, blood, weapon impacts, etc.)
            - added particle rain / snow instead of sprites PLUS rain and thunder sounds
            - added higher poly laser model (made by OoPpEe)
            - added higher poly lightning bolts for AoP´s prototype lightining gun
            - added different projectile for Legond´s missile attack (from Shamblers Castle mod)
            - added particle flames / fire instead of polygon flames /fire
            - completely reworked napalm weapon visuals and added fire ignition + crackling sounds

The gameplay is not changed/altered at all. That was important for me.
            This new version is now only for the DarkPlaces engine due to engine extensions.

I wanted to make a video clip that shows some of the things I did, but knowing that nobody will give a shxx, I only made a few screenshots about 2 things.

For those who are interested, the first 2 screens show the now seperated enforcers. The last 3 show the new burning monsters.

DOWNLOAD
            Please read the included Readme.txt

Have fun,
            Seven
            Last edited by Seven; 03-30-2016, 10:52 AM.

Comment

WOW!! Can't believe my eyes this is simply fantastic!! Thank you A LOT Seven, you've completed the mod! I think tomorrow I'll upload this on moddb.com, this should be spread like plague!
              Make Quake Great Again

Comment

Seven, this is great, I was absent for ages and this is what I come back to?? I MUST DOWNLOAD THIS NOW! Seriously, I don't know how, but AoP is starting to actually look like the nicest mission pack out there after all these small contributions.

The LG prototype has excellent particle effects. FINALLY shooting the damn thing feels powerful as it should be.

Of course, the death animation where a creature falls through the floor is still pretty weird, but W/E lol.

The flames from the napalm gun, oh god yes! Those horrible pixelated shitflames are finally done and over with. It looks amazing in the game. The crappy blood is also gone, I'm really happy to see that. Can't tell you how long I've waited to see particle torches too. THE FIREPLACE THOUGH, IN AOP1M5, NOW THAT'S MORE LIKE IT !

Haven't seen Legond yet, but it's probably going to be awesome based on all the other things in here.

TO everyone, download this mod as soon as possible, it's fucking beautiful. And leave comments about how great Seven is, because if you don't, you're a damn blasphemite against Seven our lord and saviour.
                Last edited by Pringles Man; 04-08-2016, 03:28 PM.
                Steel Sentinels remake project developer since 2012.

Comment

Another update and possibly the last one:

- new gallery (yes again) that shows new improvements with Seven's patch
                  - updated some RTlights (minor changes, it only changes water color, inspired by Hipnotic RTlights
                  - all stuff is in a single file now, you don't have to download many different files, you simply download, put in your main quake folder, run the batch file and go
                  Make Quake Great Again

Comment

Wow, thank you so much! Having one download really helps. I always get confused when I'm trying to collect all files needed for an expansion. This looks amazing.

And Seven, thank you so much for all your hard work as well. I really appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by JH24 View Post
                      Wow, thank you so much! Having one download really helps. I always get confused when I'm trying to collect all files needed for an expansion. This looks amazing.

And Seven, thank you so much for all your hard work as well. I really appreciate it!
                      Yes, I've decided to upload a single file to make things easier, I've advertised this also on Facebook groups and I think I'll upload this also on moddb.com and/or youtube.
                      Make Quake Great Again

Comment

Added link to Pringles Man stuff in first page, who released some good for AoP that will improve greatly all the work done.
                        Make Quake Great Again

Comment

Sevens AOP modifications

Hi guys!

Just wondering if Sevens successor file to "AOP - The Final Mission v2.0_extended_20140623" is still available? Unfortunately, when I try to download from zippyshare, the file is no longer available from this source, and is no on moddb either!

Thanks for any help!

Sam

Comment

Originally posted by bmw850 View Post
                            Hi guys!

Just wondering if Sevens successor file to "AOP - The Final Mission v2.0_extended_20140623" is still available? Unfortunately, when I try to download from zippyshare, the file is no longer available from this source, and is no on moddb either!

Thanks for any help!

Sam
                            I've updated a copy on my dropbox, check the link here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kpd9uq8t7a...40623.zip?dl=0
                            Make Quake Great Again

Comment

Thankyou!!

Hi BloodVengeance

Thankyou so much for re-uploading the file and so quickly as well! I will make sure to archive it so the work does not get lost, and update AOP as soon as I can. After enjoying SMC on the first mission packs, it was always gonna be impossible to play through "Vanilla" AOP.

Just wanted to say this is a great forum and resource. I appreciate all the mods and the work that gets put into them - feedback is important ofcourse and as a programming layman all I can do is wonder at how and enjoy the fantastic work of others at this stage!

So thankyou Seven and BloodVengeance for all your work!

Cheers, Sam

Comment

Hello bmw850,

did you even download the file that Blood Vengeance uploaded ?
                                It is the wrong file. It is not the successor file to "AOP - The Final Mission v2.0_extended_20140623" that you asked for.
                                It only adds "Previous weapon" (impulse 12) support. And has nothing to do with SMC.

The current/latest Abyss of Pandemonium mod from march 2016 is very different to that one. Go back 1 page to find all details/features and a youtube wip clip as well as some screenshots about it.
                                Here is the post with the link to the mod that you requested: click
                                And here is the post with the WIP youtube clip: click

It covers all points/features from Blood Vengenace´s wish list and some more. Ironically he never posted it on the opening post of this thread.
                                But who cares…

You say you played through original Quake and mission packs with the SMC ?
                                Interesting, because I never saw any post of you in the SMC thread.
                                Yes, the click & download generation... No need to post anything. Only when a file is down.
                                How nice.

Comment

Working...
                                X