No announcement yet.

Quake 1.5 - Release Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow Seven, you've made a great add-on for the already beautiful work done by Bloodshot
    Make Quake Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
      PS: By the way, you do not need darkplaces to make the projectiles match the new weapon mouth positions.
      Just copy the related code out of the smc source and it will run in all engines. Every monkey can do that...
      which qc files would that be exactly? weapons.qc?
      (*Edit: I guess so. Was poking around the smc weapons.qc vs the original 1.06 source and seeing the differences. Guessing it all has to do with the w_fire* code for each weapon. Can kinda figure out what/where to make changes but can't really understand the changes or which bits exactly that I have to leave out).

And don't the projectile positions have to be manually set to match the model? Or does smc actually somehow automate it to any weapon model?
      Last edited by Legend; 12-29-2015, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Hello Bloodshot,

Really nice weapon models that you put together here.
        I love the supernailgun and the lightning gun. They are really great looking and the supernailgun sound is amazing.

I saw that several people here and at moddb reported/feedback suggestions to match projectiles with weapon mouths and add muzzle flashes.
        Also gameplay bugs in mission packs, such as DPs plasma gun bug and others.

I saw that you included several mod versions in your download.
        You even added dedicated DarkPlaces versions.
        I know you are not a qc modder so why not use existing mods with features that you want to have in your Quake 1.5 ?
        You wrote about your wish-list of features in your wip thread...

The Quake 1.5 mod and the smc mod for example absolutely do NOT conflict at all.
        You can use both mods in parallel, because your Quake 1.5 mod only includes/uses some replacement models.
        And those models are not touched/altered in the smc mod.

--------------------

So if you want, the conclusion is easy:
        For your dedicated "darkplaces" mod versions, you can use the smc just fine to get rid of all the mentiond bugs and lacks of features.

The weapon related features that you aimed for are already available:
        - weapon idle animation system
        - weapon recoil system
        - weapon muzzle flashes
        - ejecting shells
        - nails sticking in walls
        - enemy knockback

The gore related features that you aimed for are already available:
        - improved gore system
        . (includes increased gib quantity/types, blood splashes + puddles, additional flesh/meat spawns, ...)
        - automated painskin system
        - fixed all gameplay bugs

Here is a short clip that shows what happens to your weapons when you put both mods in the same folder:
        (There are many other clips that showcase the SMC extended gore features already in my youtube channel)
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpiHBWhVn0I

Simply add these files into the mods dir, which are very slightly modified ones to match your models exactly:
        DOWNLOAD - Quake1.5 meets SMC.rar

Have fun with Quake modding,
        Seven

PS: By the way, you do not need darkplaces to make the projectiles match the new weapon mouth positions.
        Just copy the related code out of the smc source and it will run in all engines. Every monkey can do that...
        awsome work! im sure bloodshot will be thrilled when he sees this!
        My Avatars!
        Quake Leagues
        Quake 1.5!!!
        Definitive HD Quake

Comment

been playing around with the projectile positions using the smc source. I have all projectile positions fixed other than the nail gun. I got the super nail gun, rl, and gl working correctly. But I just can't seem to get the regular nail gun position fixed. I got the lightening gun kind right. It's a little off. I'll post the progs as soon as I get the NG and LG sorted out.
          Last edited by Legend; 12-29-2015, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Hello Bloodshot,

I love the supernailgun and the lightning gun. They are really great looking and the supernailgun sound is amazing.

I saw that several people here and at moddb reported/feedback suggestions to match projectiles with weapon mouths and add muzzle flashes.

I know you are not a qc modder so why not use existing mods with features that you want to have in your Quake 1.5 ?

The Quake 1.5 mod and the smc mod for example absolutely do NOT conflict at all.
            You can use both mods in parallel, because your Quake 1.5 mod only includes/uses some replacement models.

--------------------

For your dedicated "darkplaces" mod versions, you can use the smc just fine to get rid of all the mentiond bugs and lacks of features.

- weapon recoil system
            - weapon muzzle flashes
            - ejecting shells
            - enemy knockback

- improved gore system
            . (includes increased gib quantity/types, blood splashes + puddles, additional flesh/meat spawns, ...)

Here is a short clip that shows what happens to your weapons when you put both mods in the same folder:
            (There are many other clips that showcase the SMC extended gore features already in my youtube channel)

Simply add these files into the mods dir, which are very slightly modified ones to match your models exactly:

Seven

Wow, thanks so much! This is mostly exactly what I was looking for.

Is it possible for me to combine this with arcane dimensions? That mod has gibs unique to each creature, stuff like grunts dropping their gun and leaving feet gibs, knights drop their sword with bouncing noises, shamblers leave behind severed claws, etc. that would really fit with both.

Comment

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0S...ew?usp=sharing

Projectile position fix that is not engine dependent. (note, only tested in qbism super8 engine)
              Here is what I got for those who would like it. Just unzip and put the progs in the same folder as quake 1.5. (for the mod dir version)

I couldn't quite get the nail gun and lightning gun positions correct. The source is included in case anyone else can figure it out.

Comment

Hello Blood Vengeance,

No, I didnt make an addon for the "Quake 1.5" mod.
                It is the smc. Like it always was. And always will be.
                That is the benefit I am always speaking about:
                A mod that is map and content independent.
                A mod that is flexibel and universal to be integrated/usable into other mods and maps.
                A mod that can be played with hundreds of maps/episodes.
                I just edited the smc cvar values. You would have been able to do so as well !

Hello Legend,

Why give up so quickly ?
                Look, you have/know the cvars that you need for this from within the smc_config.cfg.
                Like "weapon_position_adjustable_projectile_nail2_offset" or "weapon_position_adjustable_projectile_grenade_offs et".
                What you want to do is to search for these cvars inside the smc source. That is all.
                You will find the nailgun projectile position values inside the player.qc ...

And regarding the lightning beam: Look at the trial from unbirthday here. It seems a he wanted to do the code for Bloodshot but failed somehow... You will find all you need in that thread and in the smc source.

Hello Bloodshot,

You want seperate gibs for each monster type when gibbing them ?
                The smc does exactly this as well already.
                Look at how the gibbable corpses feature is done in the source.
                A quick summarize:
                A corpse is a corpse. There is basicaly not much difference between them.
                When you gib it, it checks for the .classname and then decides which gib will spawn.
                You can do exactly this in your mod as well when gibbing living monsters. Everything is possible. The code is done already. Copy/use it !

Many people do not fully know or are not aware of what the smc is capable of and what features it provides/includes. This mod is packed with so many things that even I, who added them over the years, have forgotten about some of them. Simply look at the smc_config.cfg and you will get a slight idea...

The smc source is like a good bottle of wine. The longer you read it, the better it gets

Have fun experimenting.

Best wishes,
                Seven

Comment

Hello Bloodshot,

--------------------

- weapon recoil system
                  - weapon muzzle flashes
                  - ejecting shells
                  - enemy knockback

- improved gore system

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpiHBWhVn0I

Seven

How exactly did you run both of these together? I tried running them together but get the models completely missing or misstextured.

*edit
                  Hello Legend,

Why give up so quickly ?
                  Look, you have/know the cvars that you need for this from within the smc_config.cfg.
                  Like "weapon_position_adjustable_projectile_nail2_offse t" or "weapon_position_adjustable_projectile_grenade_off s et".
                  What you want to do is to search for these cvars inside the smc source. That is all.
                  You will find the nailgun projectile position values inside the player.qc ...

And regarding the lightning beam: Look at the trial from unbirthday here. It seems a he wanted to do the code for Bloodshot but failed somehow... You will find all you need in that thread and in the smc source.
                  I wasn't giving up just yet exactly. Just sharing what I had so far while I took a break.

Aren't those cvars you mentioned ("weapon_position_adjustable_projectile_nail2_offs et" or "weapon_position_adjustable_projectile_grenade_off s et".) dark places specific? I'm tyring to get this working with qbism super8. I figured if it works there, it should work in most engines.

Also, I did check out that thread. I couldn't get much else out of it yet though.

Thanks seven.
                  Last edited by Legend; 12-29-2015, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Took a dive and got the SMC source and I'm playing around with it, I suck but i found where gibs are specified and started adding the creature specific gibs in.

Is there any way to change the sound a gib makes when it bounces, or is that something that requires more advanced editing? I kinda wanted to add that feature where enemies drop their weapons and they bounce with a metal "dink" sound. Right now I have them as gibs instead.

Also what about the size of blood dropped on the floor by gibs? I can't seem to find which one it is in effectinfo and I want to increase the size of decals left by the gib trails.

Thanks for the help seven, I didn't realize how open your mod was.

Comment

got the nail gun position fixed proper now. Thanks seven. Still not having any luck with the lightening gun though. Starting to wonder if it is a qbism super8 specific issue. maybe it has a variable similar to cl_beams_quakepositionhack that I am not aware of. Seems no matter what I do, it is always in the same spot.

this is what I changed in weapons.qc:
                      Code:
                      	[COLOR="Red"]org = self.origin + self.view_ofs + v_forward*8 + v_up * -6.5 + v_right * 6;[/COLOR]

traceline (org, org + v_forward*600, TRUE, self);

WriteByte (MSG_BROADCAST, SVC_TEMPENTITY);
                      	WriteByte (MSG_BROADCAST, TE_LIGHTNING2);
                      	WriteEntity (MSG_BROADCAST, self);
                      	WriteCoord (MSG_BROADCAST, org_x);
                      	WriteCoord (MSG_BROADCAST, org_y);
                      	WriteCoord (MSG_BROADCAST, org_z);
                      	WriteCoord (MSG_BROADCAST, trace_endpos_x);
                      	WriteCoord (MSG_BROADCAST, trace_endpos_y);
                      	WriteCoord (MSG_BROADCAST, trace_endpos_z);

[COLOR="red"]LightningDamage (org, trace_endpos + v_forward*4, self, 30);[/COLOR]
                      *edit: So close! I finally got the lightening to come out of the correct place.

But!, if the player moves, the lightening bolt wigs out and will temporarily stay in exactly where it originated in the world. thus looking very bugged.

Code:
                      	[COLOR="Red"]org = self.origin + self.view_ofs + v_forward*8 + v_up * -6.5 + v_right * 2; // offset position[/COLOR]

traceline (org, org + v_forward*600, TRUE, self);

WriteByte (MSG_BROADCAST, SVC_TEMPENTITY);
                      	WriteByte (MSG_BROADCAST, TE_LIGHTNING2);
                      [COLOR="Red"]	WriteEntity (MSG_BROADCAST, world); //changed from self to world. The only way I could get it to stop eminating from dead center.[/COLOR]
                      	WriteCoord (MSG_BROADCAST, org_x);
                      	WriteCoord (MSG_BROADCAST, org_y);
                      	WriteCoord (MSG_BROADCAST, org_z);
                      	WriteCoord (MSG_BROADCAST, trace_endpos_x);
                      	WriteCoord (MSG_BROADCAST, trace_endpos_y);
                      	WriteCoord (MSG_BROADCAST, trace_endpos_z);

LightningDamage (org, trace_endpos + v_forward*4, self, 30);
                      Also having some trouble figuring out how to adjust the laser projectiles for mp1.
                      Last edited by Legend; 12-29-2015, 10:35 PM.

Comment

So. Today I installed Quake 1.5 in Darkplaces, and I LOVE it!

I do have a few questions though. First off, myself and QUAKEMAN could not get it to work with ProQuake 4.93.

Also, the thunderbolt beam seems to 'lag' while in multiplayer. So, if I quickly turn while firing, the beam lags behind. Also, my ping to shmack is normally about 28-35. However, while using this mod, it was never lower than 70. Is there anything I can do about that, or is that just the way it is.

Those are minor problems I have with this mod, and it does not detract from the experience. Keep up to good work!

Happy Quaking!

Comment

Disclaimer:
                          I do not want to derail Bloodshots thread with smc crap.
                          This will be my last post on this topic, unless Bloodshot says we shall go on discussing some code and silly smc here.

Originally posted by Legend View Post
                          How exactly did you run both of these together? I tried running them together but get the models completely missing or misstextured.
                          The smc has 1 core file:
                          Quake_V5.30_small-mod-compilation_Seven.pk3
                          It needs this and only this to run.

All the other content, that you find in the smc .rar downloads, such as:
                          - weapon pack
                          - monster pack
                          - costum HUDs
                          - weather effects (rain, snow, fog)
                          - additional ambience particle effects, sounds
                          are optional. You do not need them, but you can use the ones you like if you want.
                          This is also stated in the readme.

So, what you want to do to have the Quake 1.5 mod amplified by the smc is:
                          1.) Create a new mod folder in your Quake
                          2.) Call it "my_mod"
                          3.) Put the SMC "Quake_V5.30_small-mod-compilation_Seven.pk3" in it
                          4.) Put Bloodhshots files in it: "zz_newgibs.pk3" + "zz_weaponpack.pk3"
                          5.) Put the files from my download in it.
                          6.) Run darkplaces with the command: -game my_mod

That is it.
                          As usual, you can alter all smc features via the smc_config.cfg.

Have fun.

Aren't those cvars you mentioned ("weapon_position_adjustable_projectile_nail2_offs et" or "weapon_position_adjustable_projectile_grenade_off s et".) dark places specific? I'm tyring to get this working with qbism super8. I figured if it works there, it should work in most engines.
                          No, those are smc specific cvars.
                          darkplaces and fte allows you to create as many additional auto_cvars as you want.
                          That makes it incredibly easy for the users to adjust a game/mod (if it is coded that way) to ones personal likings. Regular engines can only use the already existing ones (like temp1 and so on).

What I wanted to tell you is:
                          If you want to adept the feature to other engines, and are not sure where to look at in the code, you should first find the corresponding cvars from smc_config.cfg and search for them in the .qc files.
                          You will find a match and have the correct code lines in front of you.
                          Easy as this.
                          Of course you will put "hardcoded" values in the qc for an engine indepent mod.
                          Use the values from my download yesterday to have a quick matching result.

Also, I did check out that thread. I couldn't get much else out of it yet though.

Thanks seven.
                          It only applies to darkplaces. As it has the possibility to disconnect the spawn point via cvar. If the engine of your choice doesnt allow this and has a fixed spawn/start point which doesnt follow the qc code, then it is not possible with simple ssqc.

Originally posted by Bloodshot View Post
                          Took a dive and got the SMC source and I'm playing around with it, I suck but i found where gibs are specified and started adding the creature specific gibs in.
                          That is a good start Bloodshot. Great news !

Is there any way to change the sound a gib makes when it bounces, or is that something that requires more advanced editing? I kinda wanted to add that feature where enemies drop their weapons and they bounce with a metal "dink" sound. Right now I have them as gibs instead.
                          All entities are using the same sound when they drop. (See also landing sounds of wizards and demons). You can declare them via cvar, but that applies to all at once.

What you want to do is much easier:
                          Do not make the sword a new model. Leave it a part of the monster model !
                          I know that you are very good at modeling, so do the following:
                          Take the knight model for example and look at its death animation frames.
                          Now move the sword out of his hand in this frames and let it fall seperately on the floor besides him. You can even make it bounce and twist a little bit to make it look "real".
                          Spawn the "kling" sound of the sword in the qc´s corresponding animation frame when it touches the floor. That is it !
                          Easy as this.
                          That is how everybody and their mothers are doing it.

Also what about the size of blood dropped on the floor by gibs? I can't seem to find which one it is in effectinfo and I want to increase the size of decals left by the gib trails.

Thanks for the help seven, I didn't realize how open your mod was.
                          Lok at the blood_puddle effect in the effectinfo.txt from smc V5.30.
                          And you will find what you are looking for...

First, to better learn how the effectinfo syntax works, be sure to read a small tutorial about it and read the wiki on the internet (it is linked in the tutorial).

got the nail gun position fixed proper now. Thanks seven.
                          Great news.

Also having some trouble figuring out how to adjust the laser projectiles for mp1.
                          It is declared in hipnotics weapons.qc.
                          HIP_FireLaser () is your function to start looking at.
                          Then following it through HIP_LaunchLaser (). It forwards the vectors with it.

Good luck.

Best wishes,
                          Seven

Comment

I don't mind if you use this topic for discussion on SMC, it's helpful so I see no harm.

I actually started replacing monsters with the classic-but-improved ones from AD, the death knight actually drops his weapon like you said, added a sound to his death anims to match. Also replaced the afrit, might do more of the SMC monsters with LD quake-style equivalents if I can find/hack apart the right models to do it

Got the arcane dimension gibs in as monster-specific gibs

Question about gibs - sometimes monsters stop throwing any gib but their own head, i haven't tested it yet, but could it be related to me setting "gibsduration 0"?

Do permanent gibs actually work or is that just going to cause problems? I really kinda wanted to have all the gibs stay on a level.

Also, where should i be precaching the gib models in the code? I did it in world.qc but now I'm thinking it might be better to do it in each monster's code instead.

EDIT: alright just found out permanent gibs is what's making the gibs stop working. If there's too many it starts throwing generic gibs, I guess worst case If i want permanent gibs I'll just use generic red gib models as to not make it obvious it stopped working.

Is there any way to force it to throw the right gibs all the time?
                            Last edited by Bloodshot; 12-30-2015, 11:16 AM.

Comment

at this point ive played thru q1, SoA, and most of DoE with quake 1.5, and you sir..have ruined stock q1 weapons for me. when i went on the arcane dimensions mod, my only disappointment was i couldn't use your weapons!

seriously, up until this point my all time no.1 favorite mod was soul of evil, but your mod ripped it of its mighty throne and set its own buttocks snugly onto it! i hope you continue to develop your work and add all the features you've been wanting (weapon firing position, more gore, etc).

My Avatars!
                              Quake Leagues
                              Quake 1.5!!!
                              Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Thank you, all the new stuff you can thank seven for, he pointed me to his great source to work with

Reskinned the Arcane Dimensions death guard for a knight replacement and got the hexen 2 spider model in place of the HD stuff that was there before

Comment

Working...
                                X