No announcement yet.

Insomnia ProQuake 4.71 Engine + MOD Compilation [Sony PSP]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There was a discussion once upon a time about how to get original Quake (where the project files are in classic Visual Studio format) to compile in modern Visual Studio.

InsideQC Forums • View topic - Compiling Quake Using Visual C++ Express Edition

The above would apply to ProQuake and a fair number of older engines including FitzQuake 0.80 and even MDave's Kurok engine for Windows.

Whether or not all that messing around is worth it is up to you.

But that kind of thing is up for you decide. But at a minimum I wanted to point out the resource.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Also, remember that Visual Studio 2015 is now a multiplatform IDE: it can compile Android, iOS (and Windows - duh) C++ code now that MS decided to do an unusual amount of opening to another platforms (and markets). So there's that.

Comment

Originally posted by Izhido View Post
        Visual Studio ... compile ... iOS ... C++ code
        Can you cite a reliable source for this?

Apple pretty much has been in the business of requiring a Mac to be able to build an iOS or Mac application, because they are in the hardware sales business and have always required a Mac to make a final build for either iOS or the Mac.

Edit: I guess you are saying you may be able to do this with the Mac version of Visual Studio. And you might be able to, but you won't be able to do that on a Windows machine or on Linux.
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Yeah, of course, to actually create a build that you intend to publish on the various Apple stores, you *do* need a Mac. Provisioning profiles, signing the app, teams, you will not be able to avoid those things. But for everything else, you should be able to work using VS in Windows just fine.

As for Visual Studio Code, well, it's not quite there yet. Right now its just a portable code editor and not much else .

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
            There was a discussion once upon a time about how to get original Quake (where the project files are in classic Visual Studio format) to compile in modern Visual Studio.

InsideQC Forums • View topic - Compiling Quake Using Visual C++ Express Edition

The above would apply to ProQuake and a fair number of older engines including FitzQuake 0.80 and even MDave's Kurok engine for Windows.

Whether or not all that messing around is worth it is up to you.

But that kind of thing is up for you decide. But at a minimum I wanted to point out the resource.

HAVE YOU BEEN CODING PROQUAKE IN VISUAL STUDIO 6.0 THIS ENTIRE TIME???? You sir, are a madman!

I'm straying from the yellow brick road and following the lava torrent straight to hell.

That Quake VC++ Express project compiled PERFECTLY. Thank you very much for that!

In regards to ProQuake, I appear to be missing a header file "stats.h" I can't find it on func_msgboard, insideQC or google in context to Quake. Closest thing I found was fragistics for Quake 3...? Thats not the one, is it? In specific, its in cl_server_browser.c

Code:
            // Baker: From a libcurl tutorial: http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/c/simple.html

#include "stats.h"
            #include "curl.h"

struct MemoryStruct
            {
              char *memory;
              size_t size;
            };
            Last edited by Dark_Duke; 07-10-2016, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark_Duke View Post
              In regards to ProQuake, I appear to be missing a header file "stats.h" I can't find it on func_msgboard, insideQC or google in context to Quake. Closest thing I found was fragistics for Quake 3...? Thats not the one, is it? In specific, its in cl_server_browser.c
              If you don't know how to load a library dependency in Visual Studio, you might ask at Stackoverflow or do some of the libcurl tutorials That kind of knowledge is something a developer is expected to bring to the table themselves ... tutorials at the libcurl site would be one place to start.
              Last edited by Baker; 07-10-2016, 04:47 AM.

Comment

If you don't know how to load a library dependency in Visual Studio, you might ask at Stackoverflow or do some of the libcurl tutorials That kind of knowledge is something a developer is expected to bring to the table themselves ... tutorials at the libcurl site would be one place to start.
                Admittedly, that one was a very dumb question. I apologize for that one. A bit sleep deprived, I'm onsite doing a large multi-venue systems buildout for a work event in Vegas and have been running on fumes. And guess what I've been doing in my very little freetime in Vegas each night? Instead of doing what I should be doing(sleeping), I've been coding Quake (and pestering you with dumb questions obviously)

I did look at the libcurl last night and found no reference to stats.h. I for whatever reason came to the conclusion that stats.h couldn't possibly be part of libcurl and was part of a different library. I'm fully aware of how to load/work with libraries. It would be impossible for me to have gotten this far without that fundamental knowledge that is universal between most programming languages. Again, apologies for asking you an idiotic question!
                Last edited by Dark_Duke; 07-10-2016, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark_Duke View Post
                  ...stats.h
                  Sounded like a libcurl file, but it isn't and appears to be something supplied by Visual Studio 6. I have absolutely no idea what that is, but apparently I had to include it for some reason.

Code:
                  // --stats.h--------------------------------------------------------------------
                  //
                  //  This header file defines the C version of the stats
                  //  library.
                  // 
                  // Copyright 1986 - 1998 Microsoft Corporation.  All Rights Reserved.
                  // -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  You might try to comment that out (i.e. comment out the #include "stats.h"), and what the error message is (if anything) --- maybe a missing struct defintiion or something would be the most likely possibility.

Then use Google or StackOverflow to find out what header is required for whatever the missing struct or definition is, should an error happen.

And remember the thing I said about jumping into a stack of needles --- I think you'll might find more ugly things like this, but worse.

The difference between a tutorialized engine like that easy-to-compile FitzQuake vs. say the source code for most engines whether it is ProQuake or Qrack or FTEQW or Quakespasm --- is that while the tutorialized engine is geared towards making life easy for someone new, the "real" engines are geared towards the developers own preferences and tools at the time of creation.

Comment

the "real" engines are geared towards the developers own preferences and tools at the time of creation.
                    Real engines may also be rushed, may contain spaghetti code, experiments, non-ideal code. Especially in a non-major version, i.e. normally you'd expect code in a version 4.00 to be nicer than a 4.23 or say a 4.93. Clearly I didn't think it was worthy of being "version 5.00".

And in this case, if I comment out #include "stats.h" it doesn't even need stats.h at least in Visual Studio 6. It compiles fine without it.

Comment

• It's amazing to see someone still develop stuff for the PSP, thanks for the hard work! Any chance of it running on PSP 1000s someday?

Comment

• There is a psp 1000 version. You can find a link at the first post. Though, this version isn't that advanced, as the slim eboot yet. Duke said that he will update 1000 eboot as well.

Still, this early version is as playable as the newest 2000 one, just some things in options are missing.

To dark duke:
                        I discovered that, when you make a new multiplayer game, you can't switch off level exits.

Also, in hypnotic mode, you can choose hypnotic only maps for Deathmatch. Same with Dissolution of Eternity.
                        I wonder if it is possible to for this modes to automatically start as, you launch hypnotic, and rogue mod.

You should also raise sv_aim to 0.8 (when it is switched on) because it doesent work sometimes, when it should in original.

Is any way to change ingame resolution? In jurajstyk version in order to do so, i put -rwidth and -rheight lines, but here, it doesent do anything.
                        Last edited by Grzybiarz; 07-12-2016, 09:15 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Glenie View Post
                          It's amazing to see someone still develop stuff for the PSP, thanks for the hard work! Any chance of it running on PSP 1000s someday?
                          Hey man, I had removed the original PSP1000 eboot but its linked here! You will need the other files contained in the main download in the first post. This is an older version and is missing some bug fixes/functionality in the latest revision. I do plan on updating the 1000 version to the latest revision once I get back from work in Vegas!

Originally posted by Grzybiarz
                          To dark duke:
                          I discovered that, when you make a new multiplayer game, you can't switch off level exits.

Also, in hypnotic mode, you can choose hypnotic only maps for Deathmatch. Same with Dissolution of Eternity.
                          I wonder if it is possible to for this modes to automatically start as, you launch hypnotic, and rogue mod.

You should also raise sv_aim to 0.8 (when it is switched on) because it doesent work sometimes, when it should in original.

Is any way to change ingame resolution? In jurajstyk version in order to do so, i put -rwidth and -rheight lines, but here, it doesent do anything.
                          Very odd regarding no level exists! I'll look into that one.

In regards to loading maps from different game modes, it's possible by taking the mapfiles from the original Quake and placing them into the respective mod folders. Unsure how to do it otherwise but I'll look into it!

I'll change the on-state for sv_aim to 0.8

I will look into adding changing in-game resolution as well!

Comment

• I don't know if you've ever used WinMerge, but if you load up WinMerge and have it show the line differences between FitzQuake 0.80 ( The 0.80 source is the one ) and MDave's Windows Kurok engine ( SVN - Revision 11: / ), many of the changes MDave made to Kurok and how to reverse them become fairly obvious, especially if you compare the source file that contains the sv_aim cvar (probably pr_cmds.c)

Which you could then apply to the PSP source code.

(Click to enlarge)

In otherwords, MDave's modifications would be in yellow.

And since, I don't know if you would know how to download those files in bulk using an SVN client ...

https://tortoisesvn.net/downloads.html

I once made a small tutorial on how to use an SVN client so I never had to explain it anyone: InsideQC Forums • View topic - How to use SVN to download source codez

Probably too much information, but the main resources in programming are:
                            1) Time
                            2) Effectiveness. The faster and more accurately, the more time you have.

I took ProQuake 3.50 by JP Grossman and added or improved with maybe 50 bug-fixes and common sense enhancements to create a more or less a stable and almost bug-free ProQuake 4.00 in a rather short period of time.

And I really didn't know a lot about what I was doing. I took engines that had features I wanted and then compared them to the original Quake source to see if I could identify all the changes required. Maybe only 3-4 features --- out of the 50 or so --- required a whole ton of planning --- like the video mode switch.

But because I had the right tools, the right information and was quick to give up on something complex in favor of doing 5-6 medium difficultly items, I was able to very rapidly modernize an engine. I also tested things.

So anyway, I guess I'm saying in my opinion having the right tools and right information available is part of making things easier.

/Just one perspective. I was a rather underpowered coder starting out, but used very solid methods and I frequently mentioned how little I knew, even when some non-coders didn't really believe it because all they saw was an engine transformed from GLQuake level to ultimate convenience in a span of months. It was only a couple of years later after I started tearing things apart from someone's engine and rewriting it myself as I added it to my own that the depth of my understanding started to grow --- which it did, and it became rapid growth real quick.

/Wall of text for the week. I hate wall of text posts, but sometimes the information may help. Or not.
                            Last edited by Baker; 07-12-2016, 08:30 PM.

Comment

• How do you extract eboot file? I would like to try editing something in doom v0.05 eboot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Baker View Post
                                /Wall of text for the week. I hate wall of text posts, but sometimes the information may help. Or not.
                                Wall of text of the YEAR is more like it! Thanks for all the info man! I haven't used WinMerge before, I've been comparing with Notepad++ but it's not great at showing differences. Going to give WinMerge a roll when I get back from my work trip next week!

Comment

Working...
                                X