X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake Guy 2016

Quake Guy 2016

Download Here: Replacement Player Model - Ranger

This is an enhanced version of id Software's original Quake Guy, primarily focusing on graphical improvements such as an increased vertex count, smoother animations, seamless texturing that accentuates details, and 3D features with a sense of depth, all while maintaining the classic look of our favorite hero (with a few minor deviations of course). Also included is a grisly gibbed head model replacement that stays consistent in size and detail to the Quake Guy model.

Feb 18, 2017

This third and final release features several minor improvements to the model. Here's a quick list of what was done:

* Packaged the player and gibbed head models into PAK2.pak, to make installation easier (simply drag and drop into your ID1 folder).
    * The armature in the .blend file was simplified/improved (as well as some bone weights). A few bone constraints were added to assist in proper deformation of the model.
    * Properly attached his head to his torso (no more 'bobble-head'). The texture was slightly adjusted to accommodate for this.
    * Each animation frame was fine-tuned again. They're pretty damn smooth now. Some animation scenes were re-created in a different fashion (such as some of the dying and axe-swinging scenes) for added realism...and just to mix it up a bit.
    * Fixed the 'pork-ham' arms he had when holding his weapon.
    * Several other small fixes/tweaks that aren't really worth mentioning (texture seams and what not), but help with the overall polish of the model.

To the non-critical eye, not a lot has changed from Version 2. But there were several small things that needed fixing, and I couldn't handle not addressing them, hence the release of this update.

I know there are quite a few people who would like a beard-less version, but unfortunately I just don't have the patience to mess with this model any longer. Other projects, both related and unrelated to Quake, call my attention. All of the source files are included...I leave it to someone else to take care of this.

The additional gibbed body parts are still included, as well as the Blender and external texture files for all models. As mentioned in the past, the extra body parts will not drop into standard Quake, but are included for modders to use.

Have fun, Quakers.
    Last edited by Dutch; 02-18-2017, 11:17 AM.
    'Replacement Player Models' Project

I LOVE the pix! I'm going out in a few, but I'll load this up as soon as I can.

Would it be cool if I made a quick video of this mod? I don't wana steal the spotlight! (Full credit will be given of course)

Comment

This is awesome! I love the beard. Seems like he should have always had one.

Edit: You must spread around rep before blah blah blah... I'm going to rep the shit out of random people for "nothing posts" and come back to give you rep.
      http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

This looks good, does it work with Quakespasm? Any preferred ports I should use?

YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT...

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
          Unfortunately, faithful/vanilla engines will reject this model (too many vertices), but it sure runs smooth in DarkPlaces and FTEQW. All of this info - and then some- can be found in the included readme.txt file in the download.
          I think that should answer your question?

Comment

Thanks guys!

@Sgt-PieFace absolutely you can make a video! That would be awesome! Take this model and run with it man, do whatever you want!

@gypsy thanks for attempt at rep bro! Don't sweat it tjough, dude, your comments hold more weight as far as I'm concerned. I appreciate it.

@DeathMaster unfortunately, it doesn't run in Quakespasm. I was almost certain QS has raised model limits in regards to verts but it doesn't. You can run either DP or FTE and change the gl_texture mode via command-line to give the appearance of a classic engine though. I included instructions for this in the read me. I also stuck some pics of the model with the classic texture mode enabled in the download.

EDIT: I haven't tested many other engines, but I'll bet DirectQ and Qrack won't have any problems either

Comment

A real man shaves his beard with his bloody axe

Nice work Dutch, but I also like capnbubs player model.
              Lets see which one will be the favorite one in the future multiplayer world.

Comment

Thanks Seven! I really like capnbubs model as well. His will likely see more widespread use because it has no compatibility limitations, but that's ok! Its not my intention to compete lol just wanted to make something cool and share it! The more options the better
                Last edited by Dutch; 06-30-2016, 05:27 AM.

Comment

would be cool to use both and have one team using 1 model and another... the other so it's easy to tell team-mates...
                  www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt-PieFace View Post
                    I think that should answer your question?
                    I have literally no excuse for this one. My eyes have failed me again.

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
                      would be cool to use both and have one team using 1 model and another... the other so it's easy to tell team-mates...
                      hell yeah, i like it. i'm always that asshole that team kills because all I see is the different pants color lol. Or was anyways, way back when...hey are you guys playing ctf this sunday?

@Deathmaster

join the club, bro. If i got a dime every time i missed something, i wouldn't have to work and i could just hunt, fish and quake all day lol...

Comment

I got it working and I'm enjoying the model as of this post. It goes great with Quake 1.5!

Comment

It looks fine but the textures are god awful.
                          sigpic

Comment

@Deatmaster Awesome, good to hear! glad you like it man!

@particle bat You're gonna have to be more specific. God awful compared to what? A brand new video game character? The entire intention of this model was to stay somewhat true to the original. Best way to do that is using the same 255 color pallet the original used, as well as the resolution. Add a little "constructive" to your criticism, otherwise it's simply an opinion.

Comment

Good work with model, I can sympathise with the pain involved in lining up pixel art with joints, the way they stretch if you hit a seam wrong.
                              Its the reason I picked up a cheap 2nd monitor a couple of weeks back..

1.(On display1) adjust the texture, save the .png.
                              2.(On display2) reload texture in Blender.
                              3.>Facepalm< back to step 1.

What are the limits for making a model run in vanilla Quake?
                              If you made a replacement model does it have to be exactly the same poly count as the original or can you, for example, double/triple it without fear?

Never having made an mp mod, I usually just remove the player model and don't worry about it.

Did you have any success separating the animations for lower and upper body, ya know, so you can be running one way and pointing your weapon in another?
                              To be honest, I can't remember if this is even possible in Quake.
                              Username : Atomic Robokid on Steam

Please check out my Quake made things:

https://www.indiedb.com/games/run-over
                              https://adam-freeman.itch.io/hazard
                              https://adam-freeman.itch.io/diver
                              https://adam-freeman.itch.io/beyond

Comment

Working...
                              X