Quake Guy 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@gypsy

I've picked out several details I wouldn't mind tweaking a bit here and there, including the very thing you mentioned. And believe me, of the countless hours I spent on this model, at least 5 or 6 of them was spent doing small little tweaks. It's extremely difficult to get it "perfect" (quotations because I realize at my skill level this is impossible). Thanks for the critique. I'll probably leave this current version as it is, but when I incorporate it into my mod I am sure I'll have to make a few modifications.

I'm currently looking at using a more modern model format to remove the nasty deformation inherent to MDLs. IQM is very appealing to me and I've been studying up on it. I'm on the fence about converting to RGB values to add some more color, and possibly upping the resolution just a smidge. I'm hesitant to do this however, because if I over-extend myself on the detail level, this project will take a shit just like riftquake did way back when. That got out of control because I couldn't maintain a level of detail I was happy with.

I'm currently in the middle of a big learning stage, and it's paying off. I know this looks fairly basic (because it is), but there was no way I could have pulled this off a couple years ago. I may be able to take the texture I currently have and step it up without much issue (don't know if you've ever used GIMP, but I equate this to Blender in the texture/photo world...totally free and absolutely outstanding). There's also a couple UV tweaks I want to make. I started thinking about all of this harder after particlebat's observations. This is why I love criticism, it makes me think harder about refining my work process to achieve better results in a similar amount of time.

This model is my test model. I am developing a workflow and fine-tuning it so I can apply it to future models.
    'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

do you use reference images in the background? Having something you can "trace" to some degree makes all the difference in the world. I understand that you would be hard pressed to find ranger reference material that encompasses the DaVinci poses you would need but, even just a skeleton image in the proper poses could be a big help.

@gimp - gimp is great if you are an artist that isn't challenged by drawing but learning gimp will be counter intuitive if you don't have the pen skills to begin with. May I suggest another method - learn one of blenders render engines and create procedural textures for your vertex groups. This way, you not only don't have to draw but, once you create a material you can reuse it on any model you ever make by simply importing it from it's original .blend to your current working .blend.
      http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

@reference images

Yep I sure do. I found a decent relaxed t pose online that I actually used to scale the different body parts together. Where it got funny was the armor. Since the armor is obviously going to bulk him up a bit, I pulled the geometry out around the edges of the image.

@blender tender texturing
        I like the sound of that, I'll be looking into this tonight hopefully. Thanks for the heads up

Comment

you did a hell of a job on this guy. he looks a lot like the new quake guy from the advertising. i have just started to see that add so you made this model and skin fast how long did it take you?

Comment

@procedural textures

There are probably lots of programs like this out there but, I particularly like this one. NeoTextureEdit - this could be an alternative to learning procedural textures in any of the blender render engines.

What is the real difference?

If you use NeoTextureEdit it allows you to make procedural textures as IMAGE FILES that can be edited into a displacement map

if you use any of the blender options (blender render/cycles) you can make procedural textures as MATERIALS and bake them to the displacement map. This also gives you options where repetition of the material can be non-existant, regardless of the area which the material needs to span. Using the NeoTextureEdit method your material will always repeat when it reaches a boundary further than any edge of the image. If it's a seamless image it may not be a big deal that it repeats. If you are going for "as organic as possible" repetition is not something you really want. Imagine a repeating skin texture vs a non repeating skin material.

I wouldn't poo-poo NeoTextureEdit though. It's interface is quite similar to the blender nodes method of making procedural textures. If nothing else it could serve as a good stepping stone...where you play with NTE as almost a simplified overview of what to expect in blender.
            http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Originally posted by JDSTONER View Post
              you did a hell of a job on this guy. he looks a lot like the new quake guy from the advertising. i have just started to see that add so you made this model and skin fast how long did it take you?
              thanks man. actually, the ad was the last thing I made lol. it actually took me awhile to make this guy, mostly because of the learning curve associated. I spent about a month-and-a-half or so. I think the actual hour count sits around 60 or 70, I didn't really keep track.

@gypsy

just downloaded neo, thanks for heads up. gonna play around with it some this week.

Comment

Your modeling skills have certainly improved since you posted your first weapons : )
                Thanks for keeping the source with the files, always much appreciated, the Ranger looks good!
                Gnounc's Project Graveyard Gnounc's git repo

Comment

Originally posted by gnounc View Post
                  Your modeling skills have certainly improved since you posted your first weapons : )
                  Thanks for keeping the source with the files, always much appreciated, the Ranger looks good!
                  Thank you sir!

Comment

New Update!

Hey y'all!

Finished up a brand new look for Quake Guy 2016 the other day, figured it was time to share! The below link has also been added to the original post:

Download Here: Quake Guy 2016 - Version 2

I also updated the original post with the following:

The latest release (labeled 'Quake Guy 2016 - Version 2) is a complete overhaul of the model, and is still QuakeSpasm compliant.

The model was stripped down to the bare essentials and topography was corrected in several places, focusing on edge flow and armature weights to provide smoother, more consistent animations.

Version 1's texture was scrapped. I doubled the texture size to 512x256 and re-made it completely, adding much finer details throughout. His face was overhauled using Q3's Ranger as a base before adding my own alterations to it.

The gibbed head was remade with much gorier detail, and also included is every gibbed body part (arms, legs, torso, etc.). These models obviously will not drop into standard Quake, but a mod could be written to incorporate these for more gruesome gibs.

Of course, all Blender and external texture files are included.

Have fun, Quakers! Pics below, taken without texture filtering (a more faithful look)...

Comment

Good model but what's with the goatee? I'm not anti-beard as I sport one myself IRL but I feel like Ranger should be shaved like he's always been. He's a military and the army doesn't like hair. Can we get an alternative version without beard?
                      ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
                      ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

It's looking good!! My own personal red-pen though: The arms look a little porkhammish, and i'm not in love with the beard. But all in all you're staying pretty true to form otherwise. I like the HL1 polycount level you have going on. Makes him still look low-fi, but a bit more in focus if that makes sense.

Comment

I agree, the beard throws it off for me.
                          Soundtracks and Instrumentals
                          MyMusic | Youtube

Comment

Thanks for the feedback fellas.

@arms look porkhammish

Agreed. They look better in a relaxed t-pose. My armature deformation needs a tweak here.

@beard

Myself and several others really like the beard cause it's a little more rugged. I figured he wouldn't have much time to shave going up against quake baddies. But ask and you shall receive. Won't be able to mess with it for about a week but I'll see about offering a beard-less version for the hardcore faithful crowd.

Comment

take your time, it's looking fantastic!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Amon26 View Post
                                take your time, it's looking fantastic!!!
                                Thanks, much appreciated!

Comment

Working...
                                X