Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quake: The Contract test version released!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake: The Contract test version released!

- Installation instructions are included (see readme.rtf in the download file)
    - If you test this, please give feedback. You can do so by sending me an email (see readme.rtf in the download file), via Twitter or this thread.
    - The map has only been tested with QuakeSpasm. Feel free to try a different engine.
    - There are currently no extra skill levels. Let me know which skill level you think fits for the map in its current state.
    - If you encounter bugs, let me know.

Screenshots and download:

https://sites.google.com/site/sergejaeken/home

Enjoy!

I just saw OTP's heads-up on Func_. I remember seeing your first screenshots there 5 or 6 months ago (I remembered the room with the floating pillars and the water ceiling) and I'm glad to see you finally have finished this. The surreal setting looks just right up my alley. I'll test and report back (I'm Mugwump @ Func_ BTW).

Cheers!
    ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
    ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

Hello sj1985,

Finally
      The *crazy* map with the water-walls and the grave stones on the ceiling
      Thank you very much for your release !

Kind regards,
      Seven

Comment

Hey so I played through your map this morning. I really like the layout and look of the map. Feels very much like Contract Revoked. So here is a few things I noticed:

-The skill of the map is ok, you can add skill levels very easily by just adding spawnflags for not in easy, normal etc. just make sure your counters reflect this.

-There is not enough shotgun ammo, I ran out of all ammo at the beginning and this caused me to die.

-Hitting the runestones seems strange, only can be done with axe? To me if I see it and can shoot it, it should be destroyed. I thought they were glitched at first.

-There is definitely a glitch at the boss. I went up to the second level and hit 1 switch and got the message 1 more to go... Then I dropped down to the floor and immediately telefragged the boss and won the map.

Looks like a really good map overall. Here is a short demo of me playing, I had a phonecall halfway through and the demo stops, sorry

http://www.quaketastic.com/files/dem...d_contract.dem

Comment

Redfield, the runestones disappear on contact... You don't need to hit them with anything except your body.

Comment

Indeed the runestones disappear on contact. My first intention was to make them shootable but you would be able to aquire them without too much effort... it's done this way to force the player around the map.

I'll look into the teleport bug. Would you say the current skill required fits easy, medium or hard?

Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

Hey, so I did complete the map proper, and I think what might have happened is that before picking up the item in the crypt that allows you to kill the boss, I or even a monster clipped through the portal to frag the boss. I dropped off the balcony and somehow telefragged him even though the portal was sealed. Something strange happening there.

I would say the difficulty of the map is about normal, needing perhaps some more shells at the start. Please incorporate difficulty levels into the map, it could be as simple as selecting a handful of enemies under spawnflag not on easy, and adding a few more enemies for hard only.

I increased the gamma a lot to play this map, and even so it is hard to see. I suggest adding some more lights, or changing the wait value on some lights to a smaller number.

Again, looking good overall.

Comment

I was planning to add difficulty settings from the start but I need to have a general idea of the current difficulty so I can balance it out.

The lighting looked fine when I tested it. Nothing too dark... Did you use QuakeSpasm?

Comment

Yes playing in Quakespasm. The gamma was cranked up and some areas are too dark to see clearly. (Mainly the crypt area, and the stairs near the one runestone gaurded by an ogre.) Make sure your gamma is set to zero in spasm when you test, as their should be full visibility at 0 gamma, because all the colours become washed out as it increases. This may be influenced by your monitor, my monitors brightness is slightly decreased, but you can never account for this.

If it was indeed a monster that telefragged the boss by clipping in the portal, just check to see if that teleport is set to no monsters to prevent this.

Comment

Originally posted by sj1985 View Post
                    I was planning to add difficulty settings from the start but I need to have a general idea of the current difficulty so I can balance it out.

The lighting looked fine when I tested it. Nothing too dark... Did you use QuakeSpasm?
                    Haven't tried your beta yet but I've been doing this to test my lighting levels: go to an area that may be too dark (or allegedly too dark) then immediately load up id's start map or another "official" similar in tone to yours. I'd say something from ep3 or 4 by the looks of your screenshots.
                    Secret Level - Quake fandom & my custom levels

Comment

OK, so I've played it. I love darkness in Quake but it is indeed a bit too dark in places. I'll expand on Redfield's examples by mentioning the library. You should at least add some light around the pickups (LG, silver key, armor): important stuff in Quake should always be signaled in some way and for some reason, all pickups except ammo/health are not fullbright (I played it in the new QSS that was just released with ad_sepulcher so it might be a configuration issue on my end). Speaking of the library, I don't know if it's intentional or not but I couldn't jump to the ledge on top of the ladder: it seems illogical to place a ladder that you can't climb to the top. I couldn't figure out how to open the quad secret, maybe you should add some hint.

I also agree that ammo is a bit scarce in the first part of the map: I didn't have enough shells and nails left to kill everyone in the yard in front of the church and I had to noclip back to finish them off after I got the RL. You might want to consider putting this weapon earlier in the map so we can snipe the ogres and vores above more easily. I noticed a few sparkle/neon sounds here and there that feel very out of place in this medieval environment, especially considering there are no sparkles or blinking neons in these spots. Oh, and you should definitely remember to add a flicker style to your torches. As for the difficulty, I'd say it's skill 1.5: it seems a bit hard for skill 1, a bit easy for skill 2.

This is a very nice map overall - it's your first one for Quake, right? Good job! I very much like its surrealism with the upside down parts and the watery gameplay elements reminiscent of Bloughsburgh's egyptian jam map.

Bugs:
                      - you can get stuck on the geometry in the stairway that leads to the second floor of the big room with the blue crystal on the ceiling;
                      - when you go up in the water on the sides of the entrance to the church, once you're on top the rotfish can gnaw at you from under the floor - I suggest thickening said floor;
                      - you can end the level long before the blood pool opens after beating the final enemies. In fact you can end it as soon as you enter the church.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the ogre on the top floor of the library can sometimes step on the side of the central torch and then his grenades just lob over your head. You should add a cubic clip brush around the pyramidal brasero in order to prevent that.
                      Last edited by Mugwump; 06-21-2017, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Oh, I just realized that I forgot to mention something else: there are a couple textures in your map that have fullbright pixels where they shouldn't: one shelf texture with jars in the library and one ceiling texture in the corridor where the silver door is. These are easy fixes: open your texture wad in Wally and change the culprit pixels to a similar non-fullbright color from the Quake palette.

Comment

Thank you all for giving me lots of feedback. Looks like I got some work to do but I'll do my best to improve the map

Comment

Neat map, especially the church.

I had r_wateralpha set to 0 at first, so it was weird jumping up the rune stones and discovering a waterwarp effect.

Bugs:

Using the Mark V engine, I was trying to approach Shub (after killing all the guards and hitting the two switches) when Quake crashed:

markv: line 3: 9454 Segmentation fault.

Minor issues:

The church area did slow down a bit during monster fights, but I have an older system, and one of the stained glass windows had the mirror effect enabled in Mark V.

Comment

Working...
                            X