New Q1SP: The End of Solace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Q1SP: The End of Solace

Inspired by E1M3 and started way back in late 2015, this is technicallymy first solo single player release.

Since starting "The End of Solace" I have contributed to RetroJam 6, MapJam 9 and sm179 but I finally decided to finish this one. I'm pleased with how it turned out and I hope you enjoy it!

11 Secrets / monster counts are:

Skill 0: 82
    Skill 1: 93
    Skill 2: 101

Coop is supported but not tested.

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i5io4sz4yy...olace.zip?dl=0
    Screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/R0ega

Tested with Quakespasm, Darkplaces, Mark V, FTE and others.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Secret Level - Quake fandom & my custom levels

Judging from the screenshots this hit my taste at the bullseye! Thanks for sharing it, i know what i play this evening :-)
    I once was a Ranger like you. But then i took a rocket to the knee.
    My little gore mod : http://quakeone.com/forum/quake-mod-...76473-gore-mod

Comment

I'll give this a go soon, thanks for sharing and keep em coming!
      'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Thank you gents. Hope you enjoy it. It's a longish map but pretty easy if you find all the secrets. I am going to focus on smaller maps moving forward but making this was fun.

Comment

Lovely map!
          being tired and playing skill 3 i ran pretty fast out of ammo, health and died a lot. And the messages at the pillar-jump'nRun are indeed encouraging
          I once was a Ranger like you. But then i took a rocket to the knee.
          My little gore mod : http://quakeone.com/forum/quake-mod-...76473-gore-mod

Comment

Originally posted by TheKillingJoke View Post
            Lovely map!
            being tired and playing skill 3 i ran pretty fast out of ammo, health and died a lot. And the messages at the pillar-jump'nRun are indeed encouraging
            I never even tried skill 3 and I made the thing! Everyone needs some encouragement!

Comment

This looks great Dumptruck! I will play it soon here on the show! =)

Comment

I was hoping you'd type these words!!! Enjoy!

Comment

Just played through the map on Hard, and I really enjoyed it. I liked how you added detail areas that the player cannot get to, it gives the map a sense of extra depth. I also enjoyed your brushwork and texturing, the green/gray brick environments were always my favorite outside of the base theme. I only have 2 criticisms: it was necessary to find a secret to proceed (at the RL), which got me hung up for awhile. It wasn't a difficult secret but I wasn't really expecting it. Second is the inclusion of grunts, it kinda took away from the eerie dungeon environment. Although I can see why you put them in, they are the only lower-level marksman enemies with decent hitscan attacks, Quake lacks a good dungeon-style monster with that ability. Obviously those are both personal preference. It was a great map, had a lot of fun playing it.

Comment

Dutch - glad you dug it. I felt free to use grunts because they are in E1M2 (at least in the beginning of the level) "If id did it so can I," was the thinking. Although I know they are not in E1M3 which is the inspiration. I don't exactly regret the RL secret but there was a lighting issue that I didn;t fix that made that section harder than earlier versions. Here's what happened:

I had used the copper floor plate switch texture for all my buttons both shootable and not. Those are much brighter than the standard shootable switch texture. After a few playtesters complained that I had used the wrong texture (a crime apparently!) I swapped them out. On that one switch I neglected to tweak the light and so it has been a problem for other players. One little tiny mistake can nearly ruin it for other players.

My other regret is not "gating" the silver door room. Players seem to not rush in and go nuts shooting as I was expecting. It's not as big an issue as the RL but again one little thing...

Comment

All minor stuff. This was a great map. There is no such thing as perfect map, because no 2 players play alike, so it's impossible to direct the flow of the map identically for every player without heaviy scripting it, which is silly because that's not what Quake is about. I think it's fine as it stands, I was able to finish the map and have fun doing it...that's all that really counts, right?

Also, I forgot to mention how awesome the flow of the area containing the switch to the crimson doors was. The hallway naturally guides hunting monsters toward the player. I had cleared the area, was looking around the room with the crucified zombie for secrets, and got totally jumped by a fiend that had travelled all the way from the center of the map. Don't know if you planned that out or not but it worked great. I don't get many jump-scares from this game anymore, but that was one of them.

Comment

Dutch not planned but I did trigger those monsters to come out at a specific time and noticed it really depended on the player's actions as to what would happen next. I think it helps that there wasn't a big height elevation so the Fiends could seek you out. I've never seen them go that far though just the smaller hallways. Glad it worked out that way!!!

Comment

Yeah it worked out awesome. You mind me asking how you got the ammo to respawn in SP? I imagine you added a field or found a way to trigger a nextthink time for them, since they have a think function of respawning in any game mode, but only in DM is the nextthink field set. This actually has me pretty baffled, I've looked through the code and experimented myself in trenchbroom to make it work. I've never seen this in a map that wasn't part of a mod. Probly something super simple I'm looking over...

Comment

Ah Dutch... welcome to a whole new world my friend. May I introduce the Tomb of Preach maphacks page:

https://tomeofpreach.wordpress.com/category/map-hacks/

and specifically:

https://tomeofpreach.wordpress.com/2...pawning-items/
                            Last edited by dumptruck_ds; 10-18-2017, 11:26 AM. Reason: edit for typos

Comment

Of course, the use field! This page is awesome, thanks for the link man!

Comment

Working...
                              X