(Inofficial) Shrak v2.1 patch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Inofficial) Shrak v2.1 patch

After digging deep into QuakeC and de-/recompiling processes, here is the result of my restauration efforts for the "Shrak" TC by Quantum Axcess. The goal was to get rid of all the smaller and bigger annoyances you may encounter while playing through the levels in order to achieve a gameplay experience as it was (probably) intended. Source files are included. (Special thanks to the guys over at the Func_Msgboard who were patient with me while I was trying to figure out how to fix that cursed utility vest and its tricky ammo counters.)

Download Shrak patch v2.14 (1.4 MB)

Highlights:
    [NEW] Added names for first and last level
    [NEW] Secret level now with an intro message (like the other levels)
    [NEW] Small quake.rc file to automatically load the new start map
    [FIX] Crash fix when cycling through weapons too quickly
    [FIX] Map showstoppers fixed
    [FIX] Bugged ammo/tool counters fixed
    [FIX] Bugs with ingame messages fixed
    [FIX] Plutonium keys rotate now (as they should)

Requirements:
    - Source port with external .ENT file support (e.g. Quakespasm, Mark V)
    - Shrak v2.0 (pak0.pak and pak1.pak present)

Installation:
    - Extract pak2.pak and quake.rc into your "Shrak" directory
    - Launch "Shrak" as usual
    Last edited by NightFright; 07-28-2021, 02:18 AM.
    Authentic Models Pack
    OriOn's ID1 Model Fixes for MP1+2
    LIT/VIS files for Quake addons

Well done Nightfright.

Kind regards
    Monty
    Mr.Burns
    "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
    WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
    Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

NightFright, Hello my friend!

I came here to tell you that the huge bug still exists in Shrak v2.0... and in your patch v2.1 too, unfortunately.

If you scroll your weapons with mouse wheel (forward/backward) the game will crash and the console will show this (see attachment).

Me and my friend (also quake enthusiast) have been trying to fix this issue but it is too damn cunning to hunt down.

Just go to start1 map and scroll coupla flicks fast enough and the game will crash.

Tested on Mark V.

P.S.

You know me by the way, I wrote you regarding DukeZONE2 via email, I use nickname ZAERO there.

mark_v_0008.png

mark_v_0008.png
      Attached Files
      Last edited by OV3RDR!VE; 01-12-2021, 12:12 PM.

Comment

I need to see if this happens in Quakespasm as well. Until now, I have never experienced such an issue.

This happens without having any weapons besides the default one, too?
        Authentic Models Pack

Comment

Originally posted by NightFright View Post
          I need to see if this happens in Quakespasm as well. Until now, I have never experienced such an issue.

This happens without having any weapons besides the default one, too?
          Yes, that's correct.

As far as I tested it - it does not occur if you have ALL the weapons including full damned vest.

If you fix this I shall build a lifetime memorial for ya

Comment

Confirmed on Quakespasm as well. Empty inventory, just the standard weapon equipped.

Error:
            Code:
            indirect 28 (self)entity 1 143 (weapon).weapon 4226(?)

weapons.qc: ReverseCycleWeaponCommand
            weapons.qc: ImpulseCommands
            weapons.qc: W_WeaponFrame
            Admittedly, doing this is something a normal player won't do unless specifically checking for this bug. I don't think I will be able to solve this, either. My QuakeC knowledge is next to zero and I was barely able to do what I did already.
            Authentic Models Pack

Comment

Confirmed on Quakespasm as well. Empty inventory, just the standard weapon equipped.

Error:
              Code:
              indirect 28 (self)entity 1 143 (weapon).weapon 4226(?)

weapons.qc: ReverseCycleWeaponCommand
              weapons.qc: ImpulseCommands
              weapons.qc: W_WeaponFrame
              Admittedly, doing this is something a normal player won't do unless specifically checking for this bug. I don't think I will be able to solve this, either. My QuakeC knowledge is next to zero and I was barely able to do what I did already.
              May you ask for advice on func_msg?

This thing is really annoying and you may accidentally run into this while having a normal gameplay, just because you scrolled your weaponry a bit too fast.

It also happens when your inventory has some amount of weapons in it. Half of full armory may be.

Only Shrak v2.0 has this nasty bug. I've never seen it ever before anywhere else.

Comment

Already posted on Func_Msg. Frustrating, just when I thought I was done for good with this after two months. Oh well.
                Authentic Models Pack

Comment

Already posted on Func_Msg. Frustrating, just when I thought I was done for good with this after two months. Oh well.
                  If this is fixed you will have the most useful and the best patch ever done for Shrak v2.0.

You remind me of myself when I had passion creating the patch for Abyss Of Pandemonium v2.0

Comment

I have no idea what's going on, but the functions that are listed in the error message indicate there is an infinite loop occurring at some point while the game is sending impulse commands. Original Quake doesn't have this issue, so comparing Shrak's weapons.qc with the original might reveal something.
                    Authentic Models Pack

Comment

And... I did it. As I suspected, it was an issue in ImpulseCommands (weapons.qc). There is a delay function which is too far at the bottom of the code. Apparently it belongs to the beginning. There is a small side effect to this, though. Regardless how fast you will try to cycle through the weapons, there will be a slight delay before the switching actually occurs. It's a small price to pay, though.

Updated link is in the OP.

(It's probably rather a workaround than a real fix since I didn't really find out why you cannot cycle weapons in Shrak as fast as you can in Quake, but well... it works.)
                      Last edited by NightFright; 01-13-2021, 12:44 AM.
                      Authentic Models Pack

Comment

I will check it out today.

May the guys from fung_msg give us an idea how to remove delay in switching?

There is no excuse for Shrak to not be able to fucntion like original Quake.

May there be some sort of a time interval which defines the time between weapon switching?

Comment

I already found a way to reduce the delay to an absolute minimum, but I am not updating the source code again for that. For some reason, self.dlayTimer is needed to add some artificial lag in PlayerPreThink, PlayerPostThink, ImpulseCommands and updatePlayerModel. If you set the delay timer to time+0.1 instead of time+0.5, it's almost not noticable any more, but if you go below +0.1, the crashes will happen again.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry if no better solution is found. It's pretty good the way it is now. Crashes are not happening any more. Accomplishing this with my limited knowledge means a lot.
                          Authentic Models Pack

Comment

Copying original values from Quake won't help?

Have you tried values of 0.05 or 0.01 ?

Comment

time+0.05 crashes. You don't have to try even lower. time+0.1 is as far as I could go down. With that, the delay is very low and not very different from original Quake behavior. Patch 2.11 uses time+0.5. Still, the problem is fixed one way or the other. After 24 years!
                              Authentic Models Pack

Comment

Working...
                              X