Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second test file.

Changes:
    - Utility vest item switching reverted to default (you have to press "1", mousewheel leaves tools)
    - Full weapon switching speed without ANY delay
    - Friend Maker particle cloud restored

It seems the culprit is the weapon flash in the HUD when you switch weapons. Original Quake (and pretty much any other mod I know) doesn't have that and that's why it only crashes in Shrak. Now the weapon will only flash in the HUD if you pick up a weapon for the first time (like in original Quake), but the benefit is that crashes are completely eliminated and you can torture your mousewheel as much as you want while having lightning-fast switching.

Preach has explained why the crashes are happening. The HUD flash works by briefly taking away the selected weapon and giving it back then, simulating that you got the weapon for the first time. Between cycles, there's a brief time when you don't have the weapon and if you cycle too fast, all weapons are removed. Game keeps trying since it's in a while loop but can't find an abort situation, crash. Also explains why it crashes even faster if you only have the default weapon and takes longer to crash with full inventory.

I am sceptical about reactivating the flashing without bringing back the crashes as well, but it would be a really small price to pay, I would say. This fancy (but useless) effect just doesn't work when impulse commands are sent in rapid succession. Walsh apparently noticed the problem since he implemented a delay, but 1) he put the delay in the wrong place and 2) even if done right, it wouldn't work with the input speed of modern hardware.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NightFright; 01-17-2021, 11:11 AM.
    Authentic Models Pack
    OriOn's ID1 Model Fixes for MP1+2
    LIT/VIS files for Quake addons

Comment

So I tested your latest progs.dat file.

1) The weapon cycling bug has finally gone! Everything works just right now. No crashes when cycling through weapons
      too fast backward/forward. No crashes in utility vest mode. This is just great.

2) I confirm that FriendMaker yellow particle cloud is restored and works as intended

3) Utility vest switch is succesfully reverted to default - I confirm that.

4) Have you added rotations to plutonium blue/gold & ankh blue/gold keys respectively? That's great.

===============================

THE BUGS

===============================

1) When playing the game on anything above than skill 0, some enemies will wear their pain skins instead of default ones (especially ZED and Human Soldier)!

and I think that's because of this :

"[NEW] Enemy hitpoints reduced by 33% when playing on "Easy""

and they die pretty quickly now on medium/hard/nightmare difficulties.

I would ask you to remove this feature completely and revert this to default.

See screenshots.

mark_v_0008.png

2) Can you fix the initial wrong position of the world model of the super shotgun?

It is located too high above the ground. I'm talking about the model which exists on the map already.

The one which ZED drops has correct height above the ground.

See screenshots.

mark_v_0009.png

mark_v_0011.png

3) Can you make start1.bsp as a primary map to start from?

I mean when you press "newgame" there must be start1.bsp loaded instead of start.bsp.

Implement this please. Through progs.dat I suppose.

4) In Shrak v2.0 there is no secret.bsp map , because secret.bsp map belongs to Shrak v1.0 .

In Shrak v2.0 there is hob.bsp map as a secret "The Gauntlet" map.

Make sure that city.bsp map leads to two maps: either to hob.bsp or hub.bsp (trigger_changelevel) , because we're talking about Shrak v2.0.

My v2.0 maps already have that correct transition.

Take my v2.0 maps (City.bsp has correct word "Gauntlet" in messages and hob.bsp has correct level name "The Gauntlet") from my patch
      and implement them into your release.

Also implement and add your feature into hob.bsp through progs.dat:

"Intro message for secret level (hob.bsp) added"

Also there is no name at CTF1.bsp map, take my CTF1.ent into your release.

Here is the link:

https://yadi.sk/d/IQYk2IhKXxMQPQ

5) Pay attention to my notes from my patch on page number two:

I think you missed this:

There was also "by sampling and cloning human human DNA" line replaced with
      "by sampling and cloning human DNA" line. The line is shown after completion of "Death Glow" level.
      Implement this because there an excessive "human" word there. Implement it through progs.dat

and this:

start.bsp map was missing soundtrack. track02.mp3 or track002.ogg should have been played
      on this map since start1.bsp map had such a music track number. This fix was implemented
      by adding "sounds" "2" string into start.ent file. But since we're going to use start1.bsp as primary map when pressing "newgame" button,
      it's useless now. But you may grab my start.ent anyway just for the sake of completion (link is above).
      Last edited by OV3RDR!VE; 01-17-2021, 01:38 PM.

Comment

I hope that the following fixes you implemented from some unknown project will not break anything:

- Various fixes from the URQP coding project:
        > client.qc ("NoExit" SP/Coop fix, respawn velocity fix, suicide during intermission fix, time-/fraglimit fix)
        > defs.qc/triggers.qc (hurt_touch fix)
        > doors.qc (Door unlock sound fix)
        > items.qc (Multiple megahealth rot down too fast fix)
        > misc.qc (Incorrect setting of nextthink fix)
        > monsters.qc (fish count fix, monsters sometimes do not move fix)
        > player.qc (Glowing corpse of players which had Quad/Pentagram until respawn fix,
        palette shift when player dies with Quad/Pentagram fix, player gulps bubbles when hurt in slime,
        bubblespawner remove fix/improved bubble spawn)
        > weapons.qc (Cheats coop fix, constantly checking all impulses fix)

Comment

Originally posted by OV3RDR!VE View Post
          4) In Shrak v2.0 there is no secret.bsp map , because secret.bsp map belongs to Shrak v1.0 .

In Shrak v2.0 there is hob.bsp map as a secret "The Gauntlet" map.

The official Shrak V2 update patch does not remove secret.bsp or add hob.bsp.

http://www.shrak.com/downloads.html

So there are two different V2s.

Comment

I'm talking about retail Shrak v2.0 CD. I have one physical copy of that. Bought it on ebay 2 years ago.

P.S. Shrak v2.0 already has Patch v2.0 applied.
            Patch v2.0 is only needed for those who bought the Shrak v1.0 early in 1997 or during last days of December 1996.

Open Pak0.pak bsp with PakScape and see for yourself regarding hob.bsp.

The second CD pressing (v2.0) came out on 3rd of March in 1997. The CD has v2.0 sign on it.

https://www.quaddicted.com/files/commercial/Shrak2.7z

Here is Shrak v1.0 for comparison (I happen to have a physical copy of that either)

https://www.quaddicted.com/files/commercial/Shrak.7z
            Last edited by OV3RDR!VE; 01-17-2021, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Whoa, hold your horses there. Inhale, exhale. Slow, deep breaths. This is an old forgotten TC from 96 we are talking about. I am not putting that much further effort into it. In fact, I believe I did more than enough. This isn't going to turn into a full overhaul of Shrak. It was done to fix basic problems.

I will see what I can do on short notice from what you pointed out, but I want to emphasize that I am not doing this professionally and don't intend to become a pro coder, either. My skills are limited and considering that, a decent job has been done.

I am filtering out of your wall of text that my latest adjustments are going in the right direction. I can work with that. The next and final patch will be released soon and then I leave it up to the community to work on the code. It's there for you, the people.

Thanks in advance for your understanding.

Authentic Models Pack

Comment

I just happen to write big texts about small number of problems.

Just take into account 1) 2) 3) - There is nothing special in them in terms of code to fix I suppose. These are Primary troubles that is possible to amend.

Also plz correct the following line if you didn't do that in the first place in your patch :

There was also "by sampling and cloning human human DNA" line replaced with
                "by sampling and cloning human DNA" line. The line is shown after completion of "Death Glow" level.
                Implement this because there an excessive "human" word there. Implement it through progs.dat.

​​​​​​That's all. Nothing else.

Comment

Version 2.12 has been released.

In general, I believe all annoyances that remained after v2.11 are gone now. Especially the crash elimination (took me a while to figure that one out) and Friend Maker projectile fix were important. I had to sacrifice the fancy HUD flashing when switching weapons, but TBH it was an annoying feature and nobody should really miss it. It would have probably been possible to fix it, but the required effort would have been out of proportion considering it's a useless visual gimmick.
                  I never noticed the Double Shotgun position that much, but it was indeed inconsistent with "Zed" monster drops, so there was no reason to not do the adjustment. It was just about changing one setsize value in items.qc, anyway. It seems the shotgun pickup (g_dblshot) is completely black for me ingame, but I think that's because of Quakespasm since I didn't touch that model at all.

Download "Shrak" patch 2.12 (1.4 MB)

Changelog:
                  [REV] Enemy HP reduction on "Easy" undone
                  [FIX] Eliminated delay/crashes when switching weapons (weapon HUD flashing removed)
                  [FIX] Restored Friend Maker particle field
                  [FIX] Item position of placed Double Shotgun
                  [FIX] Intro text shown/music played when choosing "New Game"
                  [FIX] Added name/music for ctf1.bsp

Thanks for your input and improvement suggestions. I hope I was able to turn this into an acceptable release after all and Shrak now plays as smoothly and flawlessly as it should have back in 1996.

(Note: I had assumed the "human DNA" message after Death Glow was fixed since I could find the phrase "human" only once in story.qc. However, that word was written twice, once in brown letters and another time in white ones. The brown-colored word uses cryptic symbols in the code and can therefore not be recognized directly. I decided to remove the white version, but it required another upload of the patch which I labelled v2.12a since I couldn't overwrite the outdated file.)
                  Last edited by NightFright; 01-18-2021, 02:53 AM.
                  Authentic Models Pack

Comment

So, I tested final release of the patch and want to say it is just great! You really did it!

May I ask you for to consider two small things here in order to place "a berry on top of the cake"?

1) Black shotgun word model (both separate and the one ZED drops). I suppose it has something to do with the model itself
                    because it is lit when dynamic lighting is happening (like explosion nearby) but it is always black even when there is a direct light lits on it.
                    May you copy-paste some sort of "ambient lighting parameter" from any other world weapon model of shrak into this world model of shotgun?

Examples (separate model, not the on ZED Drops):

Not lit at all on CTF1

mark_v_0010.png

Fully lit on CTF3

mark_v_0009.png

2) "Intro message for secret level (secret.bsp) added"

May you do just exactly the same but for hob.bsp (it is a replacement for secret.bsp in Shrak v2.0 Retail CD).

Is it possible to implement this into progs.dat for both secret.bsp and hob.bsp?

P.S. hob.bsp I upload already has name "The Gauntlet" (so no fix for level name is needed here).

The link:

https://yadi.sk/d/T9oVmIfMLcZ2qA

And... that's all. Nothing else I spotted. Everything works great and flawless.
                    We all congratulate you on your tremendous effort! Thank you!
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by OV3RDR!VE; 01-18-2021, 01:01 PM.

Comment

I have no idea why they renamed the secret map in the v2.0 retail release (maybe so players cannot guess the name of the secret map so easily and just warp to it), but we need to take this case into account. It doesn't seem to be possible to handle both cases in the same file, so I will have to make two different patches (city.bsp to hob.bsp and city.bsp to secret.bsp). It's a bit inconvenient, but I cannot automatically assume everyone uses the same Shrak version.

As for the Double Shotgun world model, I cannot find anything wrong with it. It renders just fine in the Mark V WinQuake build, which is the measure for everything. Also, light can only be added to BSP models, not MDL. We need to assume this is a renderer problem and needs to be addressed by the port authors.

In case I don't find anything else, I will release the split patch next Monday (Jan 25).
                      Authentic Models Pack

Comment

Look, this is all you need regarding the questionable maps:

Download the archive

https://yadi.sk/d/av5ykl9e1OfzzQ

It has two folders inside the archive

Shrak v1.0 Retail and Shrak v2.0 Retail.

4 maps in total in both folders.

======================

Shrak v1.0 Retail

city.bsp - uses word "Gauntlet" in both in both in-game messages. Has transitions to hub.bsp and secret.bsp
                        secret.bsp - uses map name "The Gauntlet"

======================

Shrak v2.0 Retail

city.bsp - uses word "Gauntlet" in both in both in-game messages. Has transitions to hub.bsp and hob.bsp
                        hob.bsp - uses map name "The Gauntlet"

======================

They are from my own patch. Take them all into account and contribute it into your patch.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for world shotgun... well that's a uncertainty for sure.

I think the trouble has something to do with the model, because the other world models are lit properly for some reason.
                        Last edited by OV3RDR!VE; 01-19-2021, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Easiest way I found right now is to force city.bsp secret exit to point to hob.bsp (via ent) and then include a fixed hob.bsp. This will also work if you use a version with secret.bsp. I want to avoid including full bsps wherever possible, ent files are much smaller.

Maybe there is a way to find out whether secret.bsp or hob.bsp are present and load the right map afterwards, but I am not counting on that. Damn you, Quantum Axcess. It could have been so easy...
                          Authentic Models Pack

Comment

secret.bsp and hob.bsp - both have transition to hub.bsp

Don't hesitate to include full bsps - that's a working method anyway.

Comment

The problem is not where the secret maps lead to. There are two different city.bsp files, one with the secret exit leading to secret.bsp, the other one to hob.bsp. Anyway, it can be solved. How exactly will be decided in the next few days.
                              Authentic Models Pack

Comment

Alright,

regarding world model of shotgun, no possibility to correct the lighting of the model while operating resources from the game itself?

Comment

Working...
                                X